• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ending bigoted methods of evluating student progress

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Curious about takes from progressive education policy buffs on this.

I do think there is a definite white supremacist tinge to the usual notion of "due dates" for your assignments that don't respect different temporal cultural notions. I'm also a supporter of numerical grades in lieu of having teacher's having detailed reports of student progress. The idea of wanting to quantify everything like student performance is very much a culturally white construct that is very damaging to children of color.

I do think there is a definite white supremacist tinge to the usual notion of "due dates" for your assignments that don't respect different temporal cultural notions. I'm also a supporter of numerical grades in lieu of having teacher's having detailed reports of student progress. The idea of wanting to quantify everything like student performance is very much a culturally white construct that is very damaging to children of color.

I don't see how not holding kids accountable for not turning in their homework or misbehaving is improving their education.

I don't really understand the racism part, either, unless we're claiming that teachers aren't teaching disadvantaged kids the same material, or are grading their work differently. The stats from the video don't demonstrate it on their own. Being more likely to do poorly in school because you're a minority or have a disability doesn't equate to racism.

Certainly there are cultural differences in how some material is viewed, and I'd support expanding the material to be more comprehensive, passing students who are failing doesn't help the students. If there are better ways to teach them, I'm all for it. If we're passing them even though we have failed to teach them, that's a big problem that will get bigger if we allow it.

My initial take away is that functionally they are reducing academic standards so as to artificially increase their graduation rate without actually improving the education they are providing, and using racism as a marketing tool in the effort.

Beware the soft bigotry of relaxing standards allegedly to accommodate persons of color.

Race and Social Panic at Haverford

Jonathan Kay, Quillette

A requirement to produce your assignments on time and not to engage in disruptive (to others) behavior is not racist. Issuing interim grades or progress reports are important, since waiting to issue a course grade based on the final exam allows those falling behind to remain ignorant of their lack of progress until it is too late.

In the real world (like a workplace) the same is true. Those who fail to perform their assigned (job) duties or often distract others (their coworkers) should be warned that (continuing) such behavior will not be tolerated - why would it be better to wait until it is necessary to fire someone to make that clear?

I use a dark background, and your post is nearly illegible unless I select the text.

And what does this mean?

Academic grades will now focus on mastery of the material, not a yearly average, which board members say penalizes students who get a slow start, or who struggle at points throughout the year.

Schools have been forced to pass failing students. How will this cut into that? Seems like it could just make that problem worse.

Racism is a part of the whole deal. There's no profession or sector or person that gets away untouched. So let's not be shocked when dominant cultural and resource expectations leave bright people behind. Let's not be shocked when our own blindness leaves others unaccounted for.

The whole idea behind affirmative action is not, as racists would have one believe, promoting the unqualified. The whole idea is about recognizing what someone does with the resources they have available. A student that must dodge gangs and use old textbooks and no computer that scores a 3 is smarter, brighter, of greater potential than a student that is hand-walked to a 3.5 with expensive tutors, full family support and intergenerational wealth at their disposal.

We want the best and brightest at our universities. Affirmative action does not work counter to that objective, it enhances it through the recognition of achievement given resources.

Now, back to subject, racism affects our ability to harvest the best and brightest in ways beyond disproportional wealth. We all like structure but we need to see our expectations in light of others' perspectives.

I should note, the culture I speak of is not "black culture". That is, to a large extent, racist swill. I speak of poverty culture. A culture in which black people are disproportionally represented as a result of racism. This same discussion could be had regarding impoverished white alcoves.

Last edited:

What an absurd statement. Truly absurd. But I understand your claim that you as a white man think black kids are lazy and slow - so you generously want to cut the inferior species a lot of slack because they can't help it if they were born an inferior species intellectually incapable of reading a clock because of their race/inferior species in your opinion.

I suppose it would be possible to have more white supremacist superior race/species racist perspectives, but it would take a lot of effort. What other ways do you claim that non-white people are an inferior species?

Back
Top Bottom