• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ender's Game

reinoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
So I did enjoy the middle the most when Ender was playing his games. The "twist" about the games was kinda cool. But the ending was ****ing weak. Also the power and influence generated by "Locke and "Demosthenes" is unrealistic. Essentially glorified bloggers they become rulers of the world. Orson Scott Card was certainly ahead of his time when he invisioned something akin to the internet, but the fact that the internet exists just makes the power and influence generated by those two bloggers all the more unrealistic.

The end result for Peter's character was something I didn't like. That Valentine couldn't predict, or didn't do anything to stop Peter's rise to power was also bizarre. I could see her being complicit at first, but it came off as bizarre for her character. Peter's character was a sociopath, why would Valentine feel comfortable with him in power? I definitely liked the international cast, although it was international in a superficial way.

One thing I wondered about though was "The End Of The World Game". When Ender went through the mirror with his sister why did we get nothing more? The impression we got was that the computer generated world was infinite and therefore it shouldn't have ended when Ender was finally able to move past Peter and the snakes. Or maybe Ender just didn't feel like going anymore?

So I did enjoy the middle the most when Ender was playing his games. The "twist" about the games was kinda cool. But the ending was ****ing weak. Also the power and influence generated by "Locke and "Demosthenes" is unrealistic. Essentially glorified bloggers they become rulers of the world. Orson Scott Card was certainly ahead of his time when he invisioned something akin to the internet, but the fact that the internet exists just makes the power and influence generated by those two bloggers all the more unrealistic.

I always thought Demosthenes was almost analogous to Hitler's rise to power, essentially getting followers by telling people what they wanted to hear.

The end result for Peter's character was something I didn't like. That Valentine couldn't predict, or didn't do anything to stop Peter's rise to power was also bizarre. I could see her being complicit at first, but it came off as bizarre for her character. Peter's character was a sociopath, why would Valentine feel comfortable with him in power?

I think, like Ender, she was scared of him. Too scared.

One thing I wondered about though was "The End Of The World Game". When Ender went through the mirror with his sister why did we get nothing more? The impression we got was that the computer generated world was infinite and therefore it shouldn't have ended when Ender was finally able to move past Peter and the snakes. Or maybe Ender just didn't feel like going anymore?

That's what I thought.

Ender's Game(The Movie) really needed a Montage. Like really bad. It could have even used two.

Also, don't be afraid to add a little narration. The ending needed some narration really really badly.

I'm glad I read the book because if I hadn't I'd be totally lost on what was going on in the film.

7.5/10 Because it did a lot of stuff right, but the stuff it got wrong, it got wrong for stupid reasons.

Back
Top Bottom