• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

End of the world

Are we in the end times? (Read OP)

• 25 or under, yes.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I'm 25 or under, no.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Over 25, yes.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Over 25, no.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Other (in case I missed something)

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters
Okay, out of curiosity I got the answer to my own question.

This is from Wikipedia, an article titled "2012 phenomenon".

Galactic alignment
In the mid-1990s, esoteric author John Major Jenkins asserted that the ancient Maya intended to tie the end of their calendar to the winter solstice in 2012, which falls on December 21. This date was in line with an idea he terms the galactic alignment.[42]

In the Solar System, the planets and the Sun share roughly the same plane of orbit, known as the plane of the ecliptic. From our perspective on Earth, the ecliptic is the path taken by the Sun across the sky over the course of the year. The 12 constellations which line the ecliptic are known as the zodiac and, through the year, the Sun passes through each constellation in turn. Additionally, over time, the Sun's annual passage appears to recede counterclockwise by one degree every 72 years. This movement is attributed to a slight wobble in the Earth's axis as it spins.[43] As a result, approximately every 2160 years, the constellation visible on the early morning of the spring equinox changes. In Western astrological traditions, this signals the end of one astrological age (currently the Age of Pisces) and the beginning of another (Age of Aquarius). Over the course of 26,000 years, the precession of the equinoxes makes one full circuit around the ecliptic.[43]

Astronomers argue that the galactic equator is an entirely arbitrary line, and can never be precisely determined because it is impossible to say exactly where the Milky Way begins or ends. Jenkins claims he drew his conclusions about the location of the galactic equator from observations taken at above 11,000 feet, which is higher than any of the Maya lived.[41] Furthermore, the precessional alignment of the Sun with any single point is not exclusive to a specific year, but takes place over a 36-year period, corresponding to its diameter. Jenkins himself notes that, even given his determined location for the line of the galactic equator, its most precise convergence with the centre of the Sun already occurred in 1998.[51][52]

Jenkins himself notes that, even given his determined location for the line of the galactic equator, its most precise convergence with the centre of the Sun already occurred in 1998
Ahh, that explains the economic woes we are in atm...

:mrgreen:

There's certainly some differences of opinion among scientists, for sure. I watched a special on the Discovery channel that explained it all very well. Most of the scientists agreed that the winter solstice of 2012 is indeed very special, but they differed on what the possible outcomes of such an alignment could/would be. Most figure nothing's gonna happen, of course. Many concede to the *possibility*, though. I'm not overly concerned, and I'm not saying anyone should be. After all, what's the point of worrying? If something catastrophic happens, there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it anyway, so why waste energy worrying about it? :lol:

However, what I am saying is that the Mayan were absolutely remarkable astronomers using only the naked eye. They predicted [plotted] this galactic event using no tools whatsoever other than the naked eye, observations, and calculations. So, it is a little more than "that's just when their calendar ended". It ends on a very precise date during a very precise event.

November, 2012: Obama wins a second term, and Fox news implodes, thus causing a black hole into which the known universe is sucked. End of the world.

November, 2012: Obama wins a second term, and Fox news implodes, thus causing a black hole into which the known universe is sucked. End of the world.

This is the most plausible reasoning to explain the end of the world I have ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom