• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

end of the great middle east project

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Obama Says He’s “Very Concerned” Morsi Was Overthrown, Reviewing U.S. Aid To Egypt…

“The United States is monitoring the very fluid situation in Egypt, and we believe that ultimately the future of Egypt can only be determined by the Egyptian people,” Obama said in a statement. “Nevertheless, we are deeply concerned by the decision of the Egyptian Armed Forces to remove President Morsy and suspend the Egyptian constitution.

“I now call on the Egyptian military to move quickly and responsibly to return full authority back to a democratically elected civilian government as soon as possible through an inclusive and transparent process, and to avoid any arbitrary arrests of President Morsy and his supporters. Given today’s developments, I have also directed the relevant departments and agencies to review the implications under U.S. law for our assistance to the Government of Egypt.”

Obama Says He’s “Very Concerned” Morsi Was Overthrown, Reviewing U.S. Aid To Egypt… | Weasel Zippers

Obama Says He’s “Very Concerned” Morsi Was Overthrown, Reviewing U.S. Aid To Egypt…

“The United States is monitoring the very fluid situation in Egypt, and we believe that ultimately the future of Egypt can only be determined by the Egyptian people,” Obama said in a statement. “Nevertheless, we are deeply concerned by the decision of the Egyptian Armed Forces to remove President Morsy and suspend the Egyptian constitution.

“I now call on the Egyptian military to move quickly and responsibly to return full authority back to a democratically elected civilian government as soon as possible through an inclusive and transparent process, and to avoid any arbitrary arrests of President Morsy and his supporters. Given today’s developments, I have also directed the relevant departments and agencies to review the implications under U.S. law for our assistance to the Government of Egypt.”

Obama Says He’s “Very Concerned” Morsi Was Overthrown, Reviewing U.S. Aid To Egypt… | Weasel Zippers

If indeed it ever existed

Can't say I see the recent developments in Egypt as the end of anything other than Morsy and his band. The military in Egypt seems to me to be operating as a referee. They let the Muslim Brotherhood and the opposition play things out, not calling any fouls too early, but with Morsy dissolving parliament and adopting a constitution that was less than democratic and opposed by the populace, the military saw the people starting to bring their concerns to the streets again and rather than have the country once again devolve into chaos, they stepped in and took democracy back. The military isn't running the government now - they put in place an interim political leader, not a military head, and require that new elections be held quickly.

In effect, the military has just pushed the reset button and turned back the clock to when Mubarak was ousted. This may turn out to be a move that saves Egypt 20 or 30 years of strife and turmoil and sets it back on course towards true democratic institutions.

I'm far more hopeful than some seem to be.

Can't say I see the recent developments in Egypt as the end of anything other than Morsy and his band. The military in Egypt seems to me to be operating as a referee. They let the Muslim Brotherhood and the opposition play things out, not calling any fouls too early, but with Morsy dissolving parliament and adopting a constitution that was less than democratic and opposed by the populace, the military saw the people starting to bring their concerns to the streets again and rather than have the country once again devolve into chaos, they stepped in and took democracy back. The military isn't running the government now - they put in place an interim political leader, not a military head, and require that new elections be held quickly.

In effect, the military has just pushed the reset button and turned back the clock to when Mubarak was ousted. This may turn out to be a move that saves Egypt 20 or 30 years of strife and turmoil and sets it back on course towards true democratic institutions.

I'm far more hopeful than some seem to be.

a project ends and another one starts here

there is always b plan to apply .

It saddens me deeply to see the events that have transpired. All the blood that was shed to further Morsi's position was in vain.

Democracy in Egypt seems unthinkable to me. Upon Morsi's election I had predicted that he would not last and that he would undermine democracy. Not because I am some prophet, but because I read the Muslim Brotherhood's manifesto. Egypt needs a leader like Anwar Sadat, unfortunately there are no Sadat's, and if there is; I fear that he may meet the same fate as Sadat did.

Morsi despised Israel, he despised foreigners. Egypt's economy relies heavily on its tourism. Morsi was just a recipe for disaster, perhaps his immediate removal will lead to the betterment of Egypt. As opposed to a prolonged stay which may have bore witness to even more disastrous consequences.

Who says Morsi was plan A? we supported Mubarak up until the very end.

he was plan b,l didnt claim he was the first plan :lol: ,or letters have no meaning

saddam ,qaddafi etc..

first use then get rid of them

It saddens me deeply to see the events that have transpired. All the blood that was shed to further Morsi's position was in vain.

Democracy in Egypt seems unthinkable to me. Upon Morsi's election I had predicted that he would not last and that he would undermine democracy. Not because I am some prophet, but because I read the Muslim Brotherhood's manifesto. Egypt needs a leader like Anwar Sadat, unfortunately there are no Sadat's, and if there is; I fear that he may meet the same fate as Sadat did.

Morsi despised Israel, he despised foreigners. Egypt's economy relies heavily on its tourism. Morsi was just a recipe for disaster, perhaps his immediate removal will lead to the betterment of Egypt. As opposed to a prolonged stay which may have bore witness to even more disastrous consequences.

And Morsi was kicked out in a year, not soley by the army, but pressure from the general public. Its not the Egyptian people who are somehow biologically incapable of democracy but the economic and political structure of the state itself.

he was plan b,l didnt claim he was the first plan :lol: ,or letters have no meaning

saddam ,qaddafi etc..

first use then get rid of them

I'm afraid they don't in this case ;)But would i be right in thinking that you still believe we were responsible for overthrowing Mubarak?

I'm afraid they don't in this case ;)But would i be right in thinking that you still believe we were responsible for overthrowing Mubarak?

of course......

of course......

Then I'll ask again. Why did we overthrow someone who did exactly what the IMF wanted (to the detriment of his country, eventually sparking his overthrow) participated in C.I.A renditions and who was supported by Western weapons and intelligence? do you think we overthrew him for his anti-imperialist credentials?

Then I'll ask again. Why did we overthrow someone who did exactly what the IMF wanted (to the detriment of his country, eventually sparking his overthrow) participated in C.I.A renditions and who was supported by Western weapons and intelligence? do you think we overthrew him for his anti-imperialist credentials?

you needed to domesticate the islamist movement after the collapse of the eastern bloc to control this region

you needed to domesticate the islamist movement after the collapse of the eastern bloc to control this region

Why would we do that when we have Mubarak? And it wasnt the Islamists who got rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom