• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

End of Iraq War, President Obama's Weekly Update

I wonder how many people ever actually listen to his weekly addresses. It's not like he leaped on every station and made a 'breaking news' announcement. He just did his job and issued a standard White House update.

I wonder how many people ever actually listen to his weekly addresses. It's not like he leaped on every station and made a 'breaking news' announcement. He just did his job and issued a standard White House update.

Do you watch the weekly Republican address?

Why would anyone sit through an hour-long PR event every week?

But that is exactly what he is doing... He's ordering the troops out of Iraq and following a plan which will led to the end of the war.

A plan which was hammered out and put into place before he took office, and for which the conditions would never have been met had he gotten his way years earlier.

God. Sometimes the rudeness is just stifling.

Who was rude? :confused:

A plan which was hammered out and put into place before he took office, and for which the conditions would never have been met had he gotten his way years earlier.

All true. But Iraq has hardly been on cruise control since Obama came into office, and even if you believe its a simple task that requires no change in a plan that still doesn't mean that Obama had no decision. He looked at the situation, and as President, has made decisions, and changed his mind in the past, on issues regarding Iraq. Regardless if that decision was to follow the plan for the most part, thats still a decision that required him and his staff to sit down and look at the situation in Iraq, and continueing looking at as it evovles.

Was it a simple decision, yes. Was it something already laid out, yes. Was he wrong in the past, yes. But as the Commander and Chief, he is ultimately responsible for all that happens regarding this war, good or bad, small or huge, easy or hard.

Who was rude? :confused:

Right in NYC. I asked who watches the weekly Presidential Address because to the best of my knowledge, the President did not call a press conference.

Do you watch the weekly Republican address?

Why would anyone sit through an hour-long PR event every week?

I didn't even know there's a weekly Republican address. Is there a weekly Democrat address? I don't watch the President's weekly update, and I'm embarrassed to admit it.

This partisan **** gets so old. It's no wonder nothing ever gets done.

All true. But Iraq has hardly been on cruise control since Obama came into office, and even if you believe its a simple task that requires no change in a plan that still doesn't mean that Obama had no decision. He looked at the situation, and as President, has made decisions, and changed his mind in the past, on issues regarding Iraq. Regardless if that decision was to follow the plan for the most part, thats still a decision that required him and his staff to sit down and look at the situation in Iraq, and continueing looking at as it evovles.

Was it a simple decision, yes. Was it something already laid out, yes. Was he wrong in the past, yes. But as the Commander and Chief, he is ultimately responsible for all that happens regarding this war, good or bad, small or huge, easy or hard.

Maybe, but you can still see, can you not, the sleight-of-hand involved in following the previous adminsitration's plan and calling it the fulfillment of his pledge as a candidate to end the war?

Right in NYC. I asked who watches the weekly Presidential Address because to the best of my knowledge, the President did not call a press conference.

I'm sorry that you perceived my response as rude. You posted the president's weekly address in a breaking news forum and then asked how many people watched it. I asked why you would expect anyone to watch it, given its nature. I then asked you if you watched the weekly Republican address to see if you were simply someone who really enjoys following politics or if you solely followed the President's speeches.

I didn't even know there's a weekly Republican address. Is there a weekly Democrat address? I don't watch the President's weekly update, and I'm embarrassed to admit it.

You posted a thread that consisted of a link to the weekly address, so I naturally assumed that you watched it. My apologies if that's not the case.

This partisan **** gets so old. It's no wonder nothing ever gets done.

And you think spending more time watching politicians give stump speeches will help?

I'm sorry that you perceived my response as rude. You posted the president's weekly address in a breaking news forum and then asked how many people watched it. I asked why you would expect anyone to watch it, given its nature. I then asked you if you watched the weekly Republican address to see if you were simply someone who really enjoys following politics or if you solely followed the President's speeches.

You posted a thread that consisted of a link to the weekly address, so I naturally assumed that you watched it. My apologies if that's not the case.

And you think spending more time watching politicians give stump speeches will help?

No. I don't know what will. I think we're hopelessly gridlocked.

I'm very new to following politics at all. Like, the last election. I did vote for Bush both times.

Maybe, but you can still see, can you not, the sleight-of-hand involved in following the previous adminsitration's plan and calling it the fulfillment of his pledge as a candidate to end the war?

O of course its all politics, Obama will use the withdraw of combat troops for political reasons. And I believe he should give credit to the decision makers who made this situation possible where it was prudent to withdraw the troops, and even admit his mistake regarding the surge. However it is still a fulfillment of his campaign pledge to end the war in Iraq, the conflict is not over but he is certainly working towards it. Now of course when he made that pledge he promised 2009, which he changed after being elected probably for both political and pratical reasons.

Also when he made that pledge the situation was getting better but it still wasn't as good as it is today, I was personally concerned that he would go ahead with the pledge if the situation didn't get continue to get better or even got worse. Luckily and thankfully it continued to get better, and no thanks to him, but I can't judge him for what might have happened. He may still have withdrawn the troops if it was going poorly, or he may have changed his mind. I don't know. But what I do know that is that given the situation both in Iraq, and in the US and how those situations affect every other decision the President must make, I believe he's making a good choice by following this withdraw plan. And I believe he deserves some credit for both changing his mind from a 2009 withdraw and for deciding upon a good plan.

So again, while he certainly doesn't deserve much credit in comparison to Bush, who doesn't deserve much credit in comparison to the Generals and other professionals who actually made these plans. He still is the President and is ultimately responsible.

Personally I believe Obama isn't a strong war President, but he's certainly not incapable either. For example the surge in Afghanistan was approved by Obama, although it tooks him months to decide and only sent 75% of the troops requested. While personally I think the decision was simple enough to make very quickly and that the full amount of troops requested should have been sent, at least he make a good decision.

Can someone please show me where Obama is taking credit for this or the surge...

Oh you can't? Good. Maybe that's because Obama isn't a war mongering chest thumping dip ****.

The timeline to withdraw US presence in Iraq was set for 2011 and the process has been ongoing since 2009. O made the statement several times that he promised to "end the war in Iraq" during his campaign and continues to exalt himself on this issue.

"On Tuesday, after more than seven years, the United States of America will end its combat mission in Iraq and take an important step forward in responsibly ending the Iraq war," Obama said.

"As a candidate for this office, I pledged I would end this war. As president, that is what I am doing."

He is following the timeline and did nothing to negotiate our withdrawal from Iraq. The withdrawal was already established before he took office.

Back
Top Bottom