• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"empty" space

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Here's a rather thought provoking video from the Hubble Space Telescope.

There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe, each with hundreds of billions of stars.

To put that in perspective, a hundred billion is 10^11. Multiply by another 10^11, and you get 10^22 suns.

If Earth like planets are so rare that only one sun in a billion has one, that's still 10^13 earth like planets.

The US national debt is on the order of tens of billions, or 10^10

The number of pennies in the US national debt, then, is on the order of 10^12.

So, if only one sun in a billion has an Earth like planet, there are still ten of them for every penny of the national debt.

There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the known universe, each with hundreds of billions of stars.

To put that in perspective, a hundred billion is 10^11. Multiply by another 10^11, and you get 10^22 suns.

If Earth like planets are so rare that only one sun in a billion has one, that's still 10^13 earth like planets.

So, if only one sun in a billion has an Earth like planet, there are still ten of them for every penny of the national debt.

I think my head just exploded.

You take that back, Mister. There's only one Sun and it rotates around the Earth! :confused:

Oh oh. I just spotted an error in my math. See if you can find it too.

Now would the combined mass of those 10^12 pennies equal the mass of the sun?

20^11 ?

There may be a lot of earth like planets, but that doesn't mean they have a earth like atmosphere.

Just a small rise in CO2 on the order of 2% could make their air unbreathable and I sincerely doubt we'll ever develope the warp drive technology to reach one.

There may be a lot of earth like planets, but that doesn't mean they have a earth like atmosphere.

Just a small rise in CO2 on the order of 2% could make their air unbreathable and I sincerely doubt we'll ever develope the warp drive technology to reach one.

An atmosphere that is 2% carbon dioxide may not be breathable for Earth organisms, but for the ones that evolved locally, it might be just right.

Between 10 and 22 suns? LoL, I can see more than 22 suns in the night sky. This guy must be a right-wing creationist.

We cannot grasp the immensity of the universe.

Did you mean 100 of them for each penny?

These kind of numbers make you realize that intelligent life HAS to exist elsewhere. It's too improbable that it doesn't.

Did you mean 100 of them for each penny?

These kind of numbers make you realize that intelligent life HAS to exist elsewhere. It's too improbable that it doesn't.

No, that's not it, but your conclusion is still valid. With more suns than grains of sand on the beach, somewhere there must be other intelligent life.

Maybe it's watching us as we post.

Perhaps they are watching us much like Dianne Fossey watched gorillas, and that other lady whose name escapes me just now watched chimps.

I do not see an error in your math, but there is an error in your figures - if that is what you are driving at. National debt is ~$16 trillion, not "tens of billions".. so since you went with the nearest power of 10 for your figures multiply your stack of pennies by another 10^3.

So there is a dollar of national debt for every habitable planet (using your figures)

I do not see an error in your math, but there is an error in your figures - if that is what you are driving at. National debt is ~$16 trillion, not "tens of billions".. so since you went with the nearest power of 10 for your figures multiply your stack of pennies by another 10^3.

So there is a dollar of national debt for every habitable planet (using your figures)

Congratulations. You found it.

It's still a bit mind boggling that there could be a habitable planet for every dollar of U.S. national debt, don't you think?

An atmosphere that is 2% carbon dioxide may not be
breathable for Earth organisms, but for the ones that evolved locally, it might be just right.

Yep that't true.

Between 10 and 22 suns? LoL, I can

see more than 22 suns in the night sky. This guy must be a right-wing creationist.

LOL !!

Whats wrong ? That Atlanta public education didn't pay off ?

Scientific notation a bit too abstract for your liberal brain ?

Its funny to hear libs come down on Conservatives for being stupid as they expose just how unknowledgable they are about.....well everything.

The Op was refering to the amount of suns likely to have earth like planets in their orbit.

And since I have a good feeling you have no idea what it is you're staring at when you look into the night sky, let this CONSERVATIVE educate you a bit.

You are seeing everything from active stars to dead stars long since depleted of their fuel.

Your'e seeing planets,( Mars and Venus) and you're seeing light arriving from stars not even in existence anymore.

You're seeing the edge of the milkyway Galaxy,( best seen in the Southern Hemisphere ) ....uhm do I need to explain THAT TOO ? and the Magellanic cloud.

This Conservative is a big fan of science and mathematics.

Maybe you should get a decent education before embarrassing yourself again.

With more suns than grains of sand on the beach, somewhere there must be other intelligent life.

That's one theory with absolutely zero evidence to support it.

Should we list more?

LOL !!

Whats wrong ? That Atlanta public education didn't pay off ?

Scientific notation a bit too abstract for your liberal brain ?

Its funny to hear libs come down on Conservatives for being stupid as they expose just how unknowledgable they are about.....well everything.

The Op was refering to the amount of suns likely to have earth like planets in their orbit.

And since I have a good feeling you have no idea what it is you're staring at when you look into the night sky, let this CONSERVATIVE educate you a bit.

You are seeing everything from active stars to dead stars long since depleted of their fuel.

Your'e seeing planets,( Mars and Venus) and you're seeing light arriving from stars not even in existence anymore.

You're seeing the edge of the milkyway Galaxy,( best seen in the Southern Hemisphere ) ....uhm do I need to explain THAT TOO ? and the Magellanic cloud.

This Conservative is a big fan of science and mathematics.

Maybe you should get a decent education before embarrassing yourself again.

I already explained it, sans insults. I wondered whether the post was for real, or simply a misunderstood joke.

Should we list more?

Sure, be my guest. You mean, more theories with no evidence behind them, or more reasons to simply dismiss the speculation about how unlikely it is that this one planet out of hundreds of trillions is the only one supporting life?

Sure, be my guest. You mean, more theories with no evidence behind them, or more reasons to simply dismiss the speculation about how unlikely it is that this one planet out of hundreds of trillions is the only one supporting life?

If life is so prolific, why is it that on the one place we KNOW is suitable for life to arise it's only happened once?

Should we list more?

the evidence is the mathematical probability

If life is so prolific, why is it that on the one place we KNOW is suitable for life to arise it's only happened once?

How do you know it only happened once? Might be it started and failed to take root a few times before things finally took off. Could have started and failed millions of times for all we know.

Back
Top Bottom