• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Employment Situation 1 April 2016

Regarding Hillary's server, every professional in IT security that commented and there were quire a few, said it wasn't that her server might have been hacked it was a virtual certainty that her server was hacked.
The only question was what data did they get.

Would it have been any different if she used the state department server? Those servers are unhackable?

And from what I understand, there is a different system that doesn't even operate on the same internet system that you and I use (much more secure, but unable to transmit info to the regular email system, and Hillary used that system in addition to her private server.

The FBI is also investigating Hillarys personal server and work related e mails handled by and received by individuals without security clearances. Apparently she told an aid to strip the security designation and copy it and send it in the clear to and from her server, thus part of the reason Brian pagliano may have demanded immunity. He may have handled communications but had no clearance. He would have had to divulge the existence of the server to apply for one.

You can devils advocate for as long as you want, but the FBI is not investigating a missing puppy.

Where are you getting this info? Is the FBI leaking info to you?

Just about everywhere I go now I see 'help wanted' signs in the windows or on doors. The economy is doing just fine, it's come all the way back. And then some.

As for manufacturing? We can't change or fix the mistakes this country made 30+ years ago concerning manufacturing jobs. That ship has sailed, manufacturing is gone. Politicians and the rest who scream about how they will bring back manufacturing jobs are full of crap. It's empty talk. The mistakes that were made decades ago can not be undone.

Absolutely.

Even if we did bring some manufacturing back to the US, the jobs wouldn't come with it. We are replacing manufacturing jobs with robots and technology every day. There is no easier job to replace than an assembly line job, and assembly line jobs constituted the majority of manufacturing jobs for the past 100+ years.

Absolutely.

Even if we did bring some manufacturing back to the US, the jobs wouldn't come with it. We are replacing manufacturing jobs with robots and technology every day. There is no easier job to replace than an assembly line job, and assembly line jobs constituted the majority of manufacturing jobs for the past 100+ years.

I don't remember the exact numbers. But 10 years ago or so I read an article about 1 of the Japanese car companies building an car assembly plant down south somewhere. The article said that 30-40 years ago this type of plant would have employed 12,000-15,000 employees. Now? About 1,500. And most of them were management and people to maintain the robots. There were very few people on the assembly line anymore.

I don't remember the exact numbers. But 10 years ago or so I read an article about 1 of the Japanese car companies building an car assembly plant down south somewhere. The article said that 30-40 years ago this type of plant would have employed 12,000-15,000 employees. Now? About 1,500. And most of them were management and people to maintain the robots. There were very few people on the assembly line anymore.

Absolutely.

The worlds largest BMW factor is just up the street from where I live and it produces more cars per year than some of the Ford and GM plants did during the '50s and '60s. I believe it only employs around 4,000 people, and thousands of robots. The people only work one shift a day. The robots work all three shifts.

Would it have been any different if she used the state department server? Those servers are unhackable?

And from what I understand, there is a different system that doesn't even operate on the same internet system that you and I use (much more secure, but unable to transmit info to the regular email system, and Hillary used that system in addition to her private server.

Nothing is unhackable if it is online of course. But at least the state dept server has security the whole time. Hillary didn't even encrypt her emails for months. link was already noted previously.
Also the state dept server.. if it had been hacked, at least the department would know about it and could take whatever steps were possible to help mitigate.

I know that this thread is about unemployment, but I have a question: Isn't the elephant in the room interest rates? I mean a lot of this growth is going on when we have a zero or near zero interest rate policy and that's not something that can last forever. So what's going to happen when the Fed actually has to increase rates and not by a hundreth of a percent?

Nothing is unhackable if it is online of course. But at least the state dept server has security the whole time. Hillary didn't even encrypt her emails for months. link was already noted previously.
Also the state dept server.. if it had been hacked, at least the department would know about it and could take whatever steps were possible to help mitigate.

Why would the state department have known about their email being hacked?

Sorry, I'm just going to have to wait until the investigation is concluded before I determine anything. I've seen all sorts of stuff about this, but I doubt that much of it is accurate. I mean heck, Trey Gowdy was altering emails before releasing them, emails that were determined by the FBI to NOT contain either personal communications or classified information. There's a lot of political hackery going on.

Why would the state department have known about their email being hacked?

Sorry, I'm just going to have to wait until the investigation is concluded before I determine anything. I've seen all sorts of stuff about this, but I doubt that much of it is accurate. I mean heck, Trey Gowdy was altering emails before releasing them, emails that were determined by the FBI to NOT contain either personal communications or classified information. There's a lot of political hackery going on.

Because they have people dedicated to constantly monitoring for hacking attempts which the provider she was using obviously wouldn't have. but yes we will just wait until its concluded.

I know that this thread is about unemployment, but I have a question: Isn't the elephant in the room interest rates? I mean a lot of this growth is going on when we have a zero or near zero interest rate policy and that's not something that can last forever. So what's going to happen when the Fed actually has to increase rates and not by a hundreth of a percent?

Why can't interest rates remain low forever? And why would we want to artificially increase the interest rate?

I figure that interest is the price of renting money. Money isn't scarce, it can be created at almost no expense and virtually instantly. There is really no need or advantage to having high interest rates. I suspect that ZIRP is the new normal - especially with inflation near zero (it was one tenth of one percent last year).

Before we invented banking, no one could really save their production long term. The farmers crops, the gatherers berries, and the hunters bounty all degraded fairly quickly. It's not natural for ones uninvested (meaning virtually unproductive and virtually risk free) savings to to increase in value. Usually we either have to produce something or take a significant risk before we make a profit.

Because they have people dedicated to constantly monitoring for hacking attempts
And the State Department has been hacked. Many times. :shrug:

Why do people just keep ignoring this?

And the State Department has been hacked. Many times. :shrug:

Why do people just keep ignoring this?

I don't know. If the state dept can be hacked many times then it would be remedial for a hacker to get into Clintons email server. that was part of my point.

I don't know. If the state dept can be hacked many times then it would be remedial for a hacker to get into Clintons email server. that was part of my point.

Do you have information that indicates Hillaries email server was somehow inferior to the state departments? I mean most libertarians are constantly telling me that the government does very little right.

Again, I'm not going to make judgement on this issue either way until the investigation is completed. Until then, it's just speculation. Anyhow, there is nothing I can do about it, wasn't planning on voting for Hillary so to me it's a moot issue. I should just let you political hacks have at it and stop trying to be reasonable.

Do you have information that indicates Hillaries email server was somehow inferior to the state departments? I mean most libertarians are constantly telling me that the government does very little right.

Again, I'm not going to make judgement on this issue either way until the investigation is completed. Until then, it's just speculation. Anyhow, there is nothing I can do about it, wasn't planning on voting for Hillary so to me it's a moot issue. I should just let you political hacks have at it and stop trying to be reasonable.

Yes and I already posted links saying as such. You might recall , or perhaps you don't, the one from Forbes where it was found that Hillarys email server had no encryption at all for 3 months.

Yes and I already posted links saying as such. You might recall , or perhaps you don't, the one from Forbes where it was found that Hillarys email server had no encryption at all for 3 months.

How does Forbes know this? Were they managing her server? Or did some reporter just making this **** up using unidentified and unverified sources?

How does Forbes know this? Were they managing her server? Or did some reporter just making this **** up using unidentified and unverified sources?

Because two IT security people who checked the server said so. they were named in the article.

and my bad , I was a Fortune article not Forbes.

Venafi, a Salt Lake City computer security firm, has conducted an analysis of clintonemail.com and determined that “for the first three months of Secretary Clinton’s term, access to the server was not encrypted or authenticated with a digital certificate.”

“Without a certificate you have no assurances that a website you’re attached to or an email server you go to is the one you’re actually going to,” said Kevin Bocek, vice president of security strategy and threat intelligence at Venafi. “There could easily be a ‘man in the middle’ who could easily intercept communications because they’re not being encrypted.”

John Kindervag, an analyst at Forrester Research who saw preliminary results from Venafi’s anaylsis, told Fortune that he considered the lack of a certificate protecting clintonemail.com “a pretty significant gap where systems may have been used but been totally unprotected from a security perspective, and therefore that email could have easily been intercepted and read by even the most amateurish attackers.”

To conduct the analysis, Venafi researchers used a tool they’re now launching called TrustNet, which scans the internet and historical sources for information about digital certificates and helps assess their risks and reputations.

For 3 months Hillary Clinton’s email was unencrypted, open to spies - Fortune

Last edited:
Do you have a link for that 20 million more uninsured by health care? The census has it at 44.8 million in 2008 and the most recent Gallup has it at 11.9% which, times 323 million, would be 38.4 million uninsured. Or a drop of 6.4 million.

Do you have a link for that 20 million more uninsured by health care? The census has it at 44.8 million in 2008 and the most recent Gallup has it at 11.9% which, times 323 million, would be 38.4 million uninsured. Or a drop of 6.4 million.

If you're going to compare apples to apples, use the Gallup poll for both years. Gallup has the rate at about 18% pre-ACA, a drop of about 6%, times your 323 = 19 million. At 5% drop it's 16 million.

mo4gjcf53k-eawbzitj_5w.png

I don't know. If the state dept can be hacked many times
Then it seems utterly absurd, and possibly partisan, for you to be upset about Hillary's server getting hacked. :shrug:

That's the point.
then it would be remedial for a hacker to get into Clintons email server.
Nonsense. Even if we accept your source from Fortune, there are many factors which make your point unverifiable. You don't know the security of the State Department, you don't know how prevalent the knowledge of her e-mail system was outside the State Department, we don't even know if her server was hacked. We do know the State Department servers have been hacked several times, so complaining that Clinton's server COULD have been hacked seems rather ridiculous, don't you think?

Because two IT security people who checked the server said so. they were named in the article. ...

Shouldn't those people be prosecuted for interfering with an ongoing investigation? I find that highly suspect.

Employment Situation 1 April, 2016
Establishment data (B tables)
Change in Nonfarm payroll jobs: From Feb 2016 (seasonally adjusted): +215,000
Change in Average hourly earnings:+$0.07
Change in Average weekly earnings:+$2.41

Household data (A tables)
Change in Labor Force: +396,000
Change in Labor Force Participation Rate: +0.1 percentage points
Change in Employment:+246,000
Change in Employment-Population Ratio: +0.1 percentage points
Change in Unemployment:+151,000
Change in Unemployment Rate: +.1 percentage points
Change in Not in the Labor Force:-206,000
Change in Discouraged Workers:-14,000
Change in Full time employees:+241,000
Change in Part time employees:-35,000

Commentary next time, please. And govt is not a news organization.

II - All Opening Post threads posted in *BN* must have:

• Static link to an article from a bona-fide news organization.
• Dateline within the past 48 hours.
• Exact same title as the cited article.
• Quoted short excerpts from the article.
• Your own unique content to spur discussion.

Employment Situation 1 April, 2016
Establishment data (B tables)
Change in Nonfarm payroll jobs: From Feb 2016 (seasonally adjusted): +215,000
Change in Average hourly earnings:+$0.07
Change in Average weekly earnings:+$2.41

Household data (A tables)
Change in Labor Force: +396,000
Change in Labor Force Participation Rate: +0.1 percentage points
Change in Employment:+246,000
Change in Employment-Population Ratio: +0.1 percentage points
Change in Unemployment:+151,000
Change in Unemployment Rate: +.1 percentage points
Change in Not in the Labor Force:-206,000
Change in Discouraged Workers:-14,000
Change in Full time employees:+241,000
Change in Part time employees:-35,000

As to the report, doesnt really mean anything. Yay, more jobs, boo more unemployed. New people in the workforce, not enough new jobs for them.

Well, apples to apples, you should have included the most recent Gallup which showed an increase to 11.9%. And since we are talking about Obama and not ACA you should consider maybe the 15.4% at the start and multiply that by a population of 305 million. Perhaps 11 million. At a cost of $110 billion per year.

Well, apples to apples, you should have included the most recent Gallup which showed an increase to 11.9%. And since we are talking about Obama and not ACA you should consider maybe the 15.4% at the start and multiply that by a population of 305 million. Perhaps 11 million. At a cost of $110 billion per year.

Okee dokee. Good analysis.

Back
Top Bottom