• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Employers of Illegal Immigrants

Should Employers of Illegals be prosecuted

• yes

Votes: 56 90.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rickc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
i feel it is a little hipocritical to demonize those coming to America illegally just trying for a better life.

and not feel the same way about those American employers waving the cash in the air saying all you have to do is get here and you can have a job.

and a government ready to punish the illegals but make it where Americans if they will follow a few simple rules can hire the illegals with no danger of prosecution.

Last edited:
They should not be prosecuted. Just shot.

i feel it is a little hipocritical to demonize those coming to America illegally just trying for a better life.

and not feel the same way about those American employers waving the cash in the air saying all you have to do is get here and you can have a job.

and a government ready to punish the illegals but make it where Americans if they will follow a few simple rules can hire the illegals with no danger of prosecution.

Of course, if an employer knowingly and willingly employs an illegal immigrant, they should face prosescution.

One major problem? Identity theft.

Many illegals obtain fake documentation. The most successful method of which is using an existing social security number that belongs to a citizen, supplemented by obtaining driver's license/State ID under the citizen's name, usually from a State the actual citizen does not live in.

A SSAN can be used several times and the citizen may not become aware of the situation until some other red flag appears; i.e. the citizen files for unemployment and "unreported" wages/employment shows up, or an IRS audit due to "under-reporting" income.

Last edited:

Those who knowingly hire illegals(or don't perform the background checks to feign ignorance) should be treated just like drug dealers, mobsters and other criminals who profit from and or use their money for illegal activities. Which means prison time, asset forfeiture/seizure(upon a guilty conviction first), and a permanent loss of a business license.

If we are to complain about employers, we should ask ourselves how much more we are willing to pay for the same service if that employer would pay fair(er) wages.

If we are to complain about employers, we should ask ourselves how much more we are willing to pay for the same service if that employer would pay fair(er) wages.

That is not an excuse or reason to hire illegal workers or pay them less than minimum wage. That is the song and dance that far too many use to justify why employers hire illegals and pay them less than the going wage. Employers do it because they can and the added bonus is they can get away with it.

No - but more like not exactly. I favor a change to the federal income tax (FIT) code such that direct labor costs may be deducted only for employees or subcontractors (W-2 or 1099 labor - now 100% tax deductible) which have a current (annually assigned) E-Verify certification number. Offending employers would be prosecuted but it would be for FIT code violations (tax fraud) rather than immigration law violations.

Short of having a national ID card, I see this as the best and most cost effective way of eliminating the, now widespread, use of "undocumented" labor. After all, it is very expensive to round up, prosecute and deport an illegal immigrant but it costs nothing if they self-deport due to lack of employment opportunities.

Yes, if they knowingly do so they should be prosecuted. I also support e-verify.

Trying to find a study from a few years ago that stated the increase in price for hiring legal California citizens amounted to $0.17 cents per head of Lettuce. Less for some crops, a little more for others.

The same can (and should be) said/asked for employers which hire folks that are subsidized by "safety net" programs. Use of immigrant (legal or not) labor or labor who receive "safety net" subsidies keeps total labor costs down and thus profits up.

That practice hurts all US citizen workers who have their own wages reduced and/or more of their wages taken in taxes to fund "safety net" subsidies.

BUT. The democrats like illegals that vote and dont work, republicans like illegals that work and dont vote”

Dumb **** Trump doesnt get the joke. Both parties are lying to the voters every election like clock work and have no interest in higher wages and getting blamed for inflation.

A human being is not illegal.

That being said, if an employer knowingly hires someone who is unauthorized to legally work in the United States, then yes, they should be punished.

That being said, if an employer knowingly hires someone who is unauthorized to legally work in the United States, then yes, they should be punished.

Human beings are human beings. We have laws. It is up to human beings to obey the law, break the law or change the law. "illegal" is a well earned title.

Human beings are human beings. We have laws. It is up to human beings to obey the law, break the law or change the law. "illegal" is a well earned title.

You're wrong. Being a human being is against the law. It's dehumanizing, which is what this is all about.

And seeing your signature, I thought Jesus taught us to love one another. I thought the book of Leviticus taught us to treat foreigners as one of our own.

Of course, if an employer knowingly and willingly employs an illegal immigrant, they should face prosescution.

One major problem? Identity theft.

Many illegals obtain fake documentation. The most successful method of which is using an existing social security number that belongs to a citizen, supplemented by obtaining driver's license/State ID under the citizen's name, usually from a State the actual citizen does not live in.

A SSAN can be used several times and the citizen may not become aware of the situation until some other red flag appears; i.e. the citizen files for unemployment and "unreported" wages/employment shows up, or an IRS audit due to "under-reporting" income.

Do you really think algorithms couldn't catch the false identified?

Do you think computers wouldn't catch multiple deposits in different areas at the same time on the Same SSN?

That all those "one man" Construction and landscaping employers doing far more work than one man can wouldn't get flagged?
Mandate e-verify.

This places the onus on the state.

Amazon, Google, Facebook collect and sort data like this. The feds collect all the necessary data. I'm.sure homeland security uses similar tools to track terrorists and operations.

This is an excuse, not a reason, why this hasn't been done.

They could work together.

Which is another reason this approach hasn't been embraced.

The deafening silence on this aspect in the debate on this issue should raise red flags.

You're wrong. Being a human being is against the law. It's dehumanizing, which is what this is all about.

And seeing your signature, I thought Jesus taught us to love one another. I thought the book of Leviticus taught us to treat foreigners as one of our own.

You cite Leviticus, a list of laws.

You know they just pretend not to know in most cases.

But e-verify solves this. The feds become the verifier. Simple algorithms would catch things like multiple employers on one ssn. (I work as a stagehand, and had 17 w4s last year. But I can deal.with dealling with that.)

Its too easy now to pretend you didn't know.

E-verify solves this.

Yeah, but it isn’t required by law in most places and you can only hold employers responsible for doing the minimum required by law. But that is also more federal encroachment, which turns off many on the right as well.

Yeah, but it isn’t required by law in most places and you can only hold employers responsible for doing the minimum required by law. But that is also more federal encroachment, which turns off many on the right as well.

But they're OK with the federal govenrment encroaching on all those property owners whose land will be taken for a wall.

And pick and choose what should be states rights and federal ones.

To them, immigration is a national issue. And condemn states like California when they don't kowtow.

But mandatory e-verify is a government encroachment on states rights.

How they don't see the internal inconsistency I will never understand.

You cite Leviticus, a list of laws.

You did not address my point. Do Jesus's words still matter? Does Leviticus still matter?

So far only four States; Arizona, Alabama, Mississippi, and S. Carolina have laws requiring use of E-Verify for both government and private hiring.

Moreover, both California and Illinois have statutes preventing localities from passing laws requiring use of E-Verify, and 25 States have no E-Verify requirements at all.

The remaining 21 have various levels and restrictions.

MAP of States with E-Verify
https://www.numbersusa.com/resource-article/everify-state-map

Just prosecute the ones that procure counterfeit green cards for their illegal employees.

Back
Top Bottom