• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Empathy

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
How do you think of empathy?
Empathy | Definition of Empathy by Merriam-Webster

Full Definition of empathy

: the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this
Is empathy a desired and worthy trait? Is empathy only for the weak, to the point that you believe in "survival of the fittest"? Something in between?

How empathetic are you? Is your empathy conditional?

Is empathy a desired and worthy trait? Is empathy only for the weak, to the point that you believe in "survival of the fittest"? Something in between?

Empathy is a worthy trait. I view it as being able to put yourselves in another's shoes and being able to see things from their point of view. Doesn't mean you agree with their point of view but at least you can understand it.

Empathy is idiotic. Now sympathy, that's another matter, understanding that other people are going through things is fine, but trying to put yourself in their place and feeling what you think they're feeling and reacting how you think they're reacting... that's moronic.

I'm ambivalent on this, just as I have no thoughts concerning apathy ... ;)

Empathy is idiotic. Now sympathy, that's another matter, understanding that other people are going through things is fine, but trying to put yourself in their place and feeling what you think they're feeling and reacting how you think they're reacting... that's moronic.

I don't see where the definition includes reacting as the other person does.

I would rate empathy as fairly important. I might not be the most empathetic person around, if only because I have a terrible track record of picking up on little details, but I have valued my empathetic friends very highly over the years, especially since I rarely make a habit of discussing my personal problems with others (burden your friends too much, and soon you won't have any).

I don't see where the definition includes reacting as the other person does.

Definition of the word: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner

Definition of the word: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner

You read the definitions carefully, right? Vicariously means experiencing something WITHOUT actually doing it, and explicit referred to the explanation, not the understanding.

Back
Top Bottom