• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Emotionally available?

RobertU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A common complaint by women is that men are emotionally unavailable and don’t express their feelings. The problem would seem to be solved within the family unit. The woman marries the dull but reliable man anyway and their babies, who are uninhibited, provide the mother with the emotional feedback she wants. Or am I missing something?

A common complaint by women is that men are emotionally unavailable and don’t express their feelings. The problem would seem to be solved within the family unit. The woman marries the dull but reliable man anyway and their babies, who are uninhibited, provide the mother with the emotional feedback she wants. Or am I missing something?

Once again, righties seem to think that strong families solve all our social problems.

We've had families since before the founding of the republic. Some people who were raised in a "traditional" family unit turned out poorly, and some who were raised in an unconventional setting turned out well.

Explain 'emotionally unavailable.'

Are we not at risk with gross generalizations with your assertions?

Men are only emotionally unavailable about people they don’t want to be emotional with.

The guy I’m with now used to joke around that he was emotionally unavailable.

Had all these girls clamoring after him, trying to be with him. He wasn’t interested. Had been hurt bad a few times and wasn’t interested in anything serious, or permanent.

Then he fell in love with me, and that all changed.

Just have to find someone worth the emotional availability.

Yeah, you're missing a whole lot.

Don't make excuses for emotionally unavailable husbands who don't want to carry their load in a relationship.

Some women have written off both men and children and now look to dogs for emotional support.

Is that a joke post?

Men are only emotionally unavailable about people they don’t want to be emotional with.

Had all these girls clamoring after him, trying to be with him. He wasn’t interested. Had been hurt bad a few times and wasn’t interested in anything serious, or permanent.

Well put.

That's certainly true for many men, but sadly, there are also many men (and women) who will never be emotionally available because they were too traumatized as kids and shutting down was and still is their way to survive.

Yup, I don't display my more vulnerable emotions to anyone but my wife. I really don't want to and can even be uncomfortable for me to do so with her, but she seems to thrive on it, which I don't understand but it works, so I go with it.

Emotionally available sounds like code for an over-sensitive, weepy, crybaby. I found it's not a great trait to indulge in as people use it against you to create unnecessary drama.

Emotionally available sounds like code for an over-sensitive, weepy, crybaby. I found it's not a great trait to indulge in as people use it against you to create unnecessary drama.
"Emotionally available" is not code for anything. It means what it sounds like. Someone who is not afraid of their emotions. In other words, healthy.

"Emotionally available" is not code for anything. It means what it sounds like. Someone who is not afraid of their emotions. In other words, healthy.
You can't polish that turd no matter how hard you try.

You can't polish that turd no matter how hard you try.
I'm not trying to polish anything. Do you have emotions?? Can you talk about them easily? If you don't and/or can't, you are not emotionally available. Pretty damned simple. People who cause unnecessary drama are also unhealthy, just like you.

I'm not trying to polish anything. Do you have emotions?? Can you talk about them easily? If you don't and/or can't, you are not emotionally available. Pretty damned simple. People who cause unnecessary drama are also unhealthy, just like you.
I'm not talking about being completely shut down but too much emotion is the unhealthy cause of unnecessary drama. You've got it ass backward.

I'm not talking about being completely shut down but too much emotion is the unhealthy cause of unnecessary drama. You've got it ass backward.
It's nothing to do with "too much" emotion. There is healthy emotion and unhealthy emotion. No enotion is unhealthy, misunderstood emotion is unhealthy, misplaced emotion is unhealthy, etc. "Too much"? Doesn't really compute, imo.

It's nothing to do with "too much" emotion. There is healthy emotion and unhealthy emotion. No enotion is unhealthy, misunderstood emotion is unhealthy, misplaced emotion is unhealthy, etc. "Too much"? Doesn't really compute, imo.
There are unhealthy thoughts that stem from negative emotions. And too much focus on negative emotions creates depression and anger. I have no idea WTH you're talking about.

There are unhealthy thoughts that stem from negative emotions. And too much focus on negative emotions creates depression and anger. I have no idea WTH you're talking about.
What the hell I was talking about was your proclamation that there is or can be "too much emotion." Pretty broad statement. Not very nuanced at all. which suggests a possible fear of any kind of emotion. Just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom