• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EMNs reactionary reader: The Moral Basis of a Backward Society by Edward C Banfield

EMNofSeattle

No Russian ever called me deplorable
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
There is something to be gained from nearly every written work, but some of them are so good they do much to reframe your worldview. This is one of these books. Moral Basis of a Backward Society: Banfield, Edward C.: 9780029015100: Amazon.com: Books ]The Moral Basis of a Backward Society[/url] is an easy to read yet detailed account of a sociological survey conducted in an isolated Italian village, the summary will shock and terrify anyone who is following current political trends.

Edward C Banfield was born in 1916 in Bloomfield, Connecticut. He graduated from University of Connecticut where he studied English and Agrictulture. He become enthralled with the New Deal programs of Franklin Roosevelt and initially worked for several government agencies. He later became convinced many government programs were not effective in helping the poor. in 1957 Banfield and his wife traveled to the village of "Montegrano" (a pseudonym for the village of Chiaromonte) a small village in southern Italy to study the culture of this village. The results caused Banfield to write this book The Moral Basis of a Backward Society. Using the knowledge gained from this trip he would later write a book called The Unheavenly City which explored problems in black neighborhoods in the 70s. He became a supporter of Ronald Reagan and broken windows policing, and has been cited as an influence by Thomas Sowell. He died in 1999.

The book explores a culture of "Amoral Familism" in Montegrano Italy in the late 1950s. Banfield starts with a comparison to a similar isolated rural settlement with a similar population to Montegrano, Saint George Utah. He explains that in Saint George there are multitudes of clubs, the LDS church pours massive amounts of money and food into aid for the needy, Parents are sought out to participate in PTA, sports teams for youth are encouraged, multiple newspapers are circulated, and children are well educated. In Montegrano the situation is very different. A culture exists that is self serving, the residents only care about the immediate short term benefits to themselves and their families. No intermediate institutions exist. There is no trust between the villagers. cheating on wages is routine, cheating on taxes is routine. Despite Italy being formally a democracy at this time, no interests exists in electoral politics, when officials run for election they are elected by promising patronage and immediately dismissed as corrupt. It is a given that officials will take bribes and act corruptly. The village is on a mountain top with farmland surrounding the mountain, there is few big land owners and the land is owned piecemeal by various people, many of whom own several small plots in different locations. This occurs due to a combination of inheritances and dowries. In fact much of the selfish and short term nature of the villagers appears to be related to trying to put together enough land for dowries for their daughters.

(Cont)

According to Banfield sons are expected to disappear from family life after marriage.
There is no civic clubs like an equivalent of the Rotary or Kiwanis in the village, their relationship with the Italian government is distant but not hostile. The people are not able to unite to lobby for services and so when services like a road in one case or a school in another arrive, it is by complete chance like rainfall and not because of any effort of the people.
The people are not religious, and even the ones who go to mass are completely ignorant of basic Christian doctrine. There is no religious clubs or aid for the villagers, except for an orphanage run by nuns, which is always in trouble because of lack of donations, people don't donate because the nuns cannot provide them money or favors. (pp 76). Relations between the classes are amiable, but structured. The peasants serve the nobility of Montegrano largely for promises of favors later on. The attitude on crime by the villagers is likewise troubling, they believe it is acceptable to break the law as long as one is not caught, as they all assume everyone else is. Banfield write If a peasant resists an impulse to do wrong, it is not because he is led to do right by love of God, conscience, or the fear of punishment after death. In fact "good and bad" are seldom used in a moral sense at all. To do wrong means usually means "to act as to bring punishment or misfortune on one's self......... an adulterer is better than a thief because "if he gets caught the aldulterer gets a beating while the other ends in jail" (pp134). Children are strictly controlled and often subject to physical abuse for discipline. Daughters are carefully guarded and only permitted to marry certain men as the family of the bride was expected to provide a dowry.

The conclusion of the book is not pretty. Banfield is pessimistic that Montegrano's defective culture can be changed. He also points out that Montegrano's culture is not normal of Italian society and requires the outside intervention of the state to survive. If it weren't for the fact the Italian state provided security in the form of police officers from outside the region it is likely the society would break down in violence. An entire country composed of Montegranos would not survive. There appears to be many parallels between Montegrano and American cities today, where people have become more socially isolated, more atomized, and put no effort into basic civic activities. The Amoral Familism appears to be spreading across the west today as people are told to reject our traditions and destroy all semblence of social capital.
What of Montegrano today? I can't find any information on it in English, Although I have found this video in Italian which I cannot understand because the Roman Empire just had to fall, which references Banfield . Chiaromonte remains an isolated village and the Chiaromonte - Wikipedia page doesn't explain the current demographics or explain anything about social standings now. Although the population as of recent was lower than in the book. I would guess it's likely a town the young leave immediately like many other rural European areas. It's interesting though that due to the popularity of this book that no one has thought to do a follow up. Maybe I'll go visit Chiaromonte after the travel restrictions are over.
This book is a fast read, I would even say a page turner. I read it in the course of my flights for one trip to LA.
4.5/5

edward-c-banfield-by-john-collier-1945.jpg

The following passage comes across as a very telling part of Banfield's overall view:

His Harvard colleagues described him as "an individual with a strong and distinctive character that impressed itself on all who met him" and as a man who enjoyed " the delights of humor, long meals, and friendly company."[9] Banfield had "a reputation as a brilliant maverick", and his "books and articles had a sharp contrarian edge. He was a critic of almost every mainstream liberal idea in domestic policy, especially the use of federal aid to help relieve urban poverty.[10]"

Banfield taught many conservative scholars, including James Q. Wilson and Thomas Sowell. He also taught Christopher DeMuth and Bruce Kovner, leading figures at the conservative think-tank, American Enterprise Institute. He was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1961.[11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_C._Banfield#cite_note-AAAS-11

Not my cup of tea. Not my ball of wax.

Back
Top Bottom