• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EMNofSeattle's car, thread #2

EMNofSeattle

No Russian ever called me deplorable
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Say hello to my land yacht, a 96 Crown Vic, got it for 1800 dollars. comfiest car I've ever owned!

car 1.jpgcar 2.jpgcar 3.jpg

Looks nice and clean for a '96!!

The Crown Vic was always a nice ride. My first car was a '78 Caprice which was the GM version of a Crown Vic and I loved that car. It was a great highway car and had enough trunk space to get both Fat Tony and Joey the Whale in there when we needed to.

Looks like you made a very good buy, but I don't know if I'd want to put my license plate number on the internet.

Looks like you made a very good buy, but I don't know if I'd want to put my license plate number on the internet.

Why not? several members of this forum know who I am and where I live.

all you could pull off of it, is it my name and mailing address

looks like you scored a cool ride for a good price. congrats!

looks like you scored a cool ride for a good price. congrats!

thanks.

and contrary to what people think, they're not even bad on gas. I got 22 mpg on my first tank, not bad for a V-8 with auto trans.

and the motors last forever, only 120K on it and these regularily go to 220K miles.

So I'll drive it for two years and upgrade.

Looks nice and clean for a '96!!

The Crown Vic was always a nice ride. My first car was a '78 Caprice which was the GM version of a Crown Vic and I loved that car. It was a great highway car and had enough trunk space to get both Fat Tony and Joey the Whale in there when we needed to.

The Caprice was the crown vic of the early 90s, from maybe the mid 80s to mid 90s all the cops drove the Caprice. a friend of mine's mother had a surplus Kitsap County Sheriff Caprice, all drab green, with a corvette engine in it.

thanks.

and contrary to what people think, they're not even bad on gas. I got 22 mpg on my first tank, not bad for a V-8 with auto trans.

and the motors last forever, only 120K on it and these regularily go to 220K miles.

Not bad at all for a V-8. I remember being surprised by the 96 olds 88 I got my son when he went to college. Awesome car (till he hit a deer with it). Damn thing would get 30mpg on the highway, granted it had a 3.8L V-6, but still.

Not bad at all for a V-8. I remember being surprised by the 96 olds 88 I got my son when he went to college. Awesome car (till he hit a deer with it). Damn thing would get 30mpg on the highway, granted it had a 3.8L V-6, but still.

to an extent I don't fall into the "mpg" trap. I know people who buy really expensive new cars and justify the payment on the idea they're not burning as much gas.

in reality if you pay 1800 for clear title on an absolute gas guzzler that's otherwise reliable and works, you'd have an drive an absurd number of miles to even match what the guy with the new leased prius is paying
for fuel plus the payment.

22 mpg isn't terrible considering this is a reliable car that I own outright.

to an extent I don't fall into the "mpg" trap. I know people who buy really expensive new cars and justify the payment on the idea they're not burning as much gas.

in reality if you pay 1800 for clear title on an absolute gas guzzler that's otherwise reliable and works, you'd have an drive an absurd number of miles to even match what the guy with the new leased prius is paying

No I don't either, you can pay for a lot gas buying cheaper cars. My wife really wanted a prius for the gas mileage. I told her it cost $6,000 more than a Fit and she'd have to drive a couple of hundred thousand miles to even break even, that was 7 years ago and she's only put 35,000 miles on the car to date. She did get the Fit and it was the first brand new car we bought.

Say hello to my land yacht, a 96 Crown Vic, got it for 1800 dollars. comfiest car I've ever owned!

View attachment 67203414View attachment 67203415View attachment 67203416

They ride nice, but comfiest? Not by a long shot. The town car built on the same platform with better seats and air ride is way smoother, and the smoothest riding cars I have ever driven were 1950's-60's chrysler luxury cars and the early to mid 60's lincolns and the same year range ford tbird. With those cars you could hit a speed bump at 60 mph and still not feel it.

thanks.

My 95 lincoln town car I used to own got around 18-21 highway, with a 4.6 v8. I do not know if you have a 4.6 or a 5.0( I forget when the ended the 5.0 for that platform) but both were awesome engines.

Some of the highest mileage engines I see on the road are ford v8's. The one quirk about the ford v8 especially the 4.6/5.4 platform is they do not take well to neglected maintenance. If you do normal oil changes as well as coil packs tune ups and fuel filter changes, those engines can run strong well past 350k miles.

They ride nice, but comfiest? Not by a long shot. The town car built on the same platform with better seats and air ride is way smoother, and the smoothest riding cars I have ever driven were 1950's-60's chrysler luxury cars and the early to mid 60's lincolns and the same year range ford tbird. With those cars you could hit a speed bump at 60 mph and still not feel it.

Yeah but I've never owned any of those

I have a 04 Grand Marquis, one generation onwards I think. I once passed 9 cars on HW 26 going to Pullman, was doing 105 in no time. THis thing has some giddy-up!

I have a 04 Grand Marquis, one generation onwards I think. I once passed 9 cars on HW 26 going to Pullman, was doing 105 in no time. THis thing has some giddy-up!

It's great for Tacoma, since I live on the Peninsula and work in Seattle I have to drive the Hwy 16 to I-5 split, and because of those ending lanes people try to pass right and cut me off. a little dip on the throttle and those foreign four bangers don't stand a chance, I'm solidly ahead.

It's great for Tacoma, since I live on the Peninsula and work in Seattle I have to drive the Hwy 16 to I-5 split, and because of those ending lanes people try to pass right and cut me off. a little dip on the throttle and those foreign four bangers don't stand a chance, I'm solidly ahead.

by 'cut you off' do you mean get in the remaining available lane?

by 'cut you off' do you mean get in the remaining available lane?

I mean you have a situation where two lanes merge on to the freeway and abruptly end. I keep an appropriate following distance behind the car ahead of me, so after I've spent 5 minutes going slow in the left merge lane, which is slow because most people merge left immediately, someone comes in the right merge lane throttling past the line of cars and cuts off whoever s/he should be yielding to and slows down the whole left lane. I will not stand for it.

I mean you have a situation where two lanes merge on to the freeway and abruptly end. I keep an appropriate following distance behind the car ahead of me, so after I've spent 5 minutes going slow in the left merge lane, which is slow because most people merge left immediately, someone comes in the right merge lane throttling past the line of cars and cuts off whoever s/he should be yielding to and slows down the whole left lane. I will not stand for it.

Well you know, this is set up by the "Seattle Nice" problem, in Chicago you just assume that everyone is using every available yard of every lane, merging at the last second possible.

THe worse is 5 construction zones, as you no doubt know.

Well you know, this is set up by the "Seattle Nice" problem, in Chicago you just assume that everyone is using every available yard of every lane, merging at the last second possible.

"seattle nice" what is this, Minnesota? I never heard that term before. years ago the stereotype was pacific NWers in general were cold standoffish people who minded their own business and didn't involve themselves in yours.

it's that ONE interchange. you have two lanes merge on to the freeway, and then abruptly the freeway cuts to three lanes from five, then of course there's the S-curves through Fife and the merges on from 167 and 705 dumping into the S curves. it's like trying to force a frozen milkshake through a kinked straw, just not enough capacity. Hwy 16 they've been working on for decades, that whole highway from the Kitsap County line, over the bridge to the merge with I-5 is like contractors heaven.

"seattle nice" what is this, Minnesota? I never heard that term before. years ago the stereotype was pacific NWers in general were cold standoffish people who minded their own business and didn't involve themselves in yours.

it's that ONE interchange. you have two lanes merge on to the freeway, and then abruptly the freeway cuts to three lanes from five, then of course there's the S-curves through Fife and the merges on from 167 and 705 dumping into the S curves. it's like trying to force a frozen milkshake through a kinked straw, just not enough capacity. Hwy 16 they've been working on for decades, that whole highway from the Kitsap County line, over the bridge to the merge with I-5 is like contractors heaven.

O. M. G.

Seattle Nice:
People doing weird and often illegal things on the road to be "NICE" to others, very often resulting in ****ing with more people than they were "NICE" to. Does not accomplish anything positive on the whole, and the result is increased danger on the road.... And extra driving stress, because we can never trust people to drive correctly.

SEATTLE NICE.

I also notice with aggravation that these mother****ers in Seattle dont have enough sense to keep slow traffic right. It was a law in ILLINOIS when I learned to drive...... I asked my 23 year old daughter last year and she claimed to have never heard of the idea before, actually said "Why would any want to do that?"

O. M. G.

Seattle Nice:
People doing weird and often illegal things on the road to be "NICE" to others, very often resulting in ****ing with more people than they were "NICE" to. Does not accomplish anything positive on the whole, and the result is increased danger on the road.... And extra driving stress, because we can never trust people to drive correctly.

SEATTLE NICE.

I also notice with aggravation that these mother****ers in Seattle dont have enough sense to keep slow traffic right. It was a law in ILLINOIS when I learned to drive...... I asked my 23 year old daughter last year and she claimed to have never heard of the idea before, actually said "Why would any want to do that?"

That's statewide, and regional too I think, I've seen lotsa left lane bandits in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Vancouver (both WA and BC) most communities in the NW do not have freeways outside of these so it's a moot issue.

you have to get to N California or Montana/Utah before the left lane rule is solidly in effect.

with those hostile driving instincts, you should have instead bought a BMW

Driving a low cost (pad for) car permits you to drop comprehensive insurance coverage as well. That alone covers quite a few tanks of gas.

Why not? several members of this forum know who I am and where I live.

all you could pull off of it, is it my name and mailing address

Actually I've just opened five credit cards in your name. You are also now the proud owner of a house in Ecaudor.

/sarc off

It annoys me to no end when lanes are obviously merging and most people are behaving themselves, but then there's always a few ***holes who come flying around, trying to squeeze in at the last second. Ditto for exit ramps on the highway. So, once cars around me start merging, I start straddling the lanes to block the people trying to avoid waiting in line. (Though it's relatively pointless, as someone invariably lets them in).

Does that make me an ***hole or an opponent of ***holes? I'm not sure, but at least they're not cutting in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom