• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Emergency home generators , personal experience hurricane Sally

Aberro

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

I don’t know where to put this, so here it is.

I was 3 days with no power, not complaining, Fredrick put me w/o power for 2 weeks.

The link above is the duel fuel generator I have. I bought it on sale about 8 months ago for $200. I just left it in the box, just opened for visual inspection. You always have to add oil to these, FYI. I have another 5kw , but it’s over 10 yrs old, did not use it this time. Probable needs fuel lines, etc.

I had plenty of fuel, both LP and gas, I am a prepper by nature. I had plenty of everything, but the reason for this post is what I ran on the generator.

Long story short, I ran a side by side Residential refrigerator/freezer, small size chest freezer, (about 4 foot wide) and a 5000 btu room a/c like the one linked above. I did not think it would handle all three together, but it did. 4.5 gallons of gas lasted 8 hrs, One LP tank, like on a gas grill lasted almost two days. (Three separate extension cords) Of course phone charger too. I could have put a TV on it, but I rarely watch TV, just used battery powered radio.

Of course this has to be outside your house, it’s hard to believe, but the news reported some people ran them inside and died. I don’t really believe it, how can an adult be that stupid.

Anyway, to emergency generator nubees, just some information you may have wondered about. I will now run gas out of carburetor, drain gas and oil, and put back in storage.

PS, I had an AR-15 and a .40 Glock loaded just in case, wore the Glock holstered, wife was always popooing my guns, she is now asking for shooting lessons ;-)

Last edited:

I don’t know where to put this, so here it is.

I was 3 days with no power, not complaining, Fredrick put me w/o power for 2 weeks.

The link above is the duel fuel generator I have. I bought it on sale about 8 months ago for $200. I just left it in the box, just opened for visual inspection. You always have to add oil to these, FYI. I have another 5kw , but it’s over 10 yrs old, did not use it this time. Probable needs fuel lines, etc.

I had plenty of fuel, both LP and gas, I am a prepper by nature. I had plenty of everything, but the reason for this post is what I ran on the generator.

Long story short, I ran a side by side Residential refrigerator/freezer, small size chest freezer, (about 4 foot wide) and a 5000 btu room a/c like the one linked above. I did not think it would handle all three together, but it did. 4.5 gallons of gas lasted 8 hrs, One LP tank, like on a gas grill lasted almost two days. (Three separate extension cords) Of course phone charger too. I could have put a TV on it, but I rarely watch TV, just used battery powered radio.

Of course this has to be outside your house, it’s hard to believe, but the news reported some people ran them inside and died. I don’t really believe it, how can an adult be that stupid.

Anyway, to emergency generator nubees, just some information you may have wondered about. I will now run gas out of carburetor, drain gas and oil, and put back in storage.
So thirty amps, then? For two bills? Not bad!

I never had one, so I didn't realize they use so much fuel. Now I see why the big GenRads often get hooked-up to the natural gas line!

So thirty amps, then? For two bills? Not bad!

I never had one, so I didn't realize they use so much fuel. Now I see why the big GenRads often get hooked-up to the natural gas line!

The problem with that is natural gas lines on the street can be ruptured by tree roots from falling trees, earth quakes, etc. Not dependable.

I keep and rotate 10 gallons of non ethanol gas and 2 LP tanks on hand at all times. I fill up my truck when 1/2 full, so when Sally turned my way, I did not have to do anything but secure loose stuff outside. I did not leave the house for 3 days. (Except to clean yard and help neighbors)

If I had to, I could get 30 gallons of gas from the vehicles.

I had cold beer, bedroom a/c, and a wife that thinks I am a genius, what more could a man want?

Last edited:
The problem with that is natural gas lines on the street can be ruptured by tree roots from falling trees, earth quakes, etc. Not dependable.

I keep and rotate 10 gallons of non ethanol gas and 2 LP tanks on hand at all times. I fill up my truck when 1/2 full, so when Sally turned my way, I did not have to do anything but secure loose stuff outside. I did not leave the house for 3 days. (Except to clean yard and help neighbors)

If I had to, I could get 30 gallons of gas from the vehicles.

I had cold beer, bedroom a/c, and a wife that thinks I am a genius, what more could a man want?
Yeh, I'm aware that natural gas injects a possible point of failure. Where I'm at, I don't have much concern. I've never seen a ruptured gas line in my life. But, your point is valid.

Anyway, glad things went well for you & your wife. Two hundred bucks well spent, buddy! (y)

Yeh, I'm aware that natural gas injects a possible point of failure. Where I'm at, I don't have much concern. I've never seen a ruptured gas line in my life. But, your point is valid.

Anyway, glad things went well for you & your wife. Two hundred bucks well spent, buddy! (y)
Wife was very appreciative also, if you know what I mean ;-) if you have ever been married, sex ain’t a freebie.

I have a 14kW Kohler that will run everything in my house except the A/C. It runs on propane for which I have two big 'bottles' that could run the generator for over a week, giving me time to get a refill. Longest I've run it is 36 hours. Comes on within20 seconds of the power goingout. Have it on service contract & replace the battery every 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom