• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Emergency Broadcast System Coming to Cell Phones

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Nov. 17) -- The Emergency Broadcast System that interrupts TV programming in times of crisis is jumping to a new format where it might be able to reach you better -- on your cell phone.

The communications company Alcatel-Lucent announced Tuesday that it's creating a Broadcast Message Center that will allow government agencies to send cell phone users specific information in the event of a local, state or national emergency. It will be similar to the TV alerts in that the text messages will be geographically targeted for areas where a tornado alert or major road closure, for example, is in effect.

My guess is that this will be tower based for geographical positioning, especially as a lot of phones do not have a gps chip. So its not a big brother thing.

Sounds like good stuff.

Indeed, I really can't see a downside to this. I have a slim to nil chance of catching a TV EBS alert (I watch very little television,) so perhaps this way I can avoid those pesky disaster scenarios. :)

Woh woh woh woh woh everyone. We've haven't had any discourse yet, after 5 posts. QUICK.

Under Jetboogieman Emergency Order 6275

"I hereby invoke Godwins Law!"

Nazi's!!!!!!

Woh woh woh woh woh everyone. We've haven't had any discourse yet, after 5 posts. QUICK.

Nazi's!!!!!!

The new EBS will tell when Nazis are coming? GREAT!!!

...or wait...it will turn me into a Nazi?

damn.

Nazi's!!!!!!

You know who else used an emergency broadcast system in the event of major disasters?

That's right, Hitler.

Why? I mean, really? why? We got twitter and we got rss feeds, all that can send important information through those feeds. Getting an annoying phone call or interrupting my phone call is downright absurd. Get with the technology, we don't need those anymore.... It becomes more a nuisance than informative since I already knew of the event before the EBS popped up... And they do it 4-5 times during the effect.... I'm just saying, there's other ways that are much better than THAT.

Why? I mean, really? why? We got twitter and we got rss feeds, all that can send important information through those feeds. Getting an annoying phone call or interrupting my phone call is downright absurd. Get with the technology, we don't need those anymore.... It becomes more a nuisance than informative since I already knew of the event before the EBS popped up... And they do it 4-5 times during the effect.... I'm just saying, there's other ways that are much better than THAT.

You think twitter is going to be a reliable source of information during a major disaster?

EBS is annoying... until there's actually a major disaster bearing down on you.

Good point. Who wants to be rudely interrupted with the news that a tornado is ripping through their town while they're in the middle of an important social call? It's all about priorities, right?

Assuming people bother to check their text messages, this could be useful.

Especially if giant purple tentacled space monster Nazis attack earth. :mrgreen:

My guess is that this will be tower based for geographical positioning, especially as a lot of phones do not have a gps chip. So its not a big brother thing.

At the end of 2005, all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace cell phone calls to a location within 100 meters or less.

This system of reverse 9-11 is a great idea.

I think it was CSI NY that showed how well such a system could work.

Last edited:
As long as they don't do weekly tests at 3AM it sounds like a wonderful idea

Nazi's!!!!!!

One day the government is warning you to evacuate for a hurricane. The next day the government is asking you to turn in your neighbors who are hiding Jews.

Back
Top Bottom