• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Embarrassing Helmut Marko unwise in F1, Kyvat dumped for Max Verstappen

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Red Bull Replace Daniil Kvyat with Max Verstappen Ahead of Spanish F1 Grand Prix

Red Bull have confirmed that Daniil Kvyat has been dropped to Toro Rosso and will be replaced by Max Verstappen ahead of May 15's Spanish Grand Prix.

The decision comes following Russian Kvyat's calamitous performance at his home Grand Prix on Sunday, during which he crashed into Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel twice in two corners, and team principal Christian Horner explained the decision to promote Verstappen from Toro Rosso, per Red Bull Racing:

Max has proven to be an outstanding young talent. His performance at Toro Rosso has been impressive so far and we are pleased to give him the opportunity to drive for Red Bull Racing.

We are in the unique position to have all four drivers across Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso under long term contracts with Red Bull, so we have the flexibility to move them between the two teams.

Dany will be able to continue his development at Toro Rosso, in a team that he is familiar with, giving him the chance to regain his form and show his potential.

Red Bull Replace Daniil Kvyat with Max Verstappen Ahead of Spanish F1 Grand Prix | Bleacher Report

This is a surprise but even though I am stoked for my fellow Dutchman to be promoted to a bigger and better team, I seriously feel for Kyvat as I think he is being punished way too harshly for his mistakes in the Russian Grand Prix when he crashed into Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel not once but twice, eliminating him from the race but also destroying the hopes of himself (due to damage, extra pit stops, 10 second stop and go penalty and points on his F1 super license), his team mate Ricciardo (who also suffered damage from Kyvat's double crash with Vettel) but also sister team driver Carlos Sainz as part of the wing from one of the Red Bull wings flew into his side pot making his engine overheat causing an extra pitstop that threw Sainz out of points contention too.

But even so, I think it was too small of a mistake to warrant his demotion from the first team. But this may have been an excuse from the team for other issues. He has been performing poorly during qualifying, only qualifying faster than his team mate once, and that was due to his team mate driving around with a puncture.

What is great for Red Bull is that this will attract more commercial interest into the team, potentially having an 18 year old on the podium would be a great thing for Red Bull from an attracting new money to the team. Plus it may help Ricciardo and the team getting more points and getting the second or third spot in the drivers ranking.

Red Bull Replace Daniil Kvyat with Max Verstappen Ahead of Spanish F1 Grand Prix | Bleacher Report

This is a surprise but even though I am stoked for my fellow Dutchman to be promoted to a bigger and better team, I seriously feel for Kyvat as I think he is being punished way too harshly for his mistakes in the Russian Grand Prix when he crashed into Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel not once but twice, eliminating him from the race but also destroying the hopes of himself (due to damage, extra pit stops, 10 second stop and go penalty and points on his F1 super license), his team mate Ricciardo (who also suffered damage from Kyvat's double crash with Vettel) but also sister team driver Carlos Sainz as part of the wing from one of the Red Bull wings flew into his side pot making his engine overheat causing an extra pitstop that threw Sainz out of points contention too.

But even so, I think it was too small of a mistake to warrant his demotion from the first team. But this may have been an excuse from the team for other issues. He has been performing poorly during qualifying, only qualifying faster than his team mate once, and that was due to his team mate driving around with a puncture.

What is great for Red Bull is that this will attract more commercial interest into the team, potentially having an 18 year old on the podium would be a great thing for Red Bull from an attracting new money to the team. Plus it may help Ricciardo and the team getting more points and getting the second or third spot in the drivers ranking.

It looked almost like a paid deal to eliminate Vettel from the race.

It looked almost like a paid deal to eliminate Vettel from the race.

That would have been really stupid for Red Bull, their sister team drives with Ferrari engines and Helmut Marko was sitting next to Putin when this crash happened and from what I understand he was mightily embarrassed by the whole situation.

That would have been really stupid for Red Bull, their sister team drives with Ferrari engines and Helmut Marko was sitting next to Putin when this crash happened and from what I understand he was mightily embarrassed by the whole situation.

IT certainly would have been bad for Red Bull. On the other hand, Marko sitting next to Putin would not necessarily mean much nor that he acted embarrassed. For it would be surprising, if the bribery originated in Red Bull's environment. More believable would be a bet or political thing of some kind.

But don't get me wrong. I am not arguing that it was done on a payoff. Only that it looked like one.

IT certainly would have been bad for Red Bull. On the other hand, Marko sitting next to Putin would not necessarily mean much nor that he acted embarrassed. For it would be surprising, if the bribery originated in Red Bull's environment. More believable would be a bet or political thing of some kind.

But don't get me wrong. I am not arguing that it was done on a payoff. Only that it looked like one.

I think Kyvat was too enthusiastic for his own good in front of his home crowd. Especially after the whole issue during the last race where he also crashed into Vettel, he just went in too hot headed and it cost him, Vettel, Ricciardo, Red Bull and Sainz points. I am not sure what was going on in his head but he really seemed to be in a red mist situation when he crashed into Vettel twice.

Helmut Marko said after the race that he understood and was OK with the first bump into Vettel due to him being really gunning for a good result in his home race but the second crash was inexcusable in Marko's opinion.

I do not know, I still think he has a good future in F1 but he is on his last chance IMO to save his career in F1, if not he is going to have to go into other race formats (in the US or DTM).

I think Kyvat was too enthusiastic for his own good in front of his home crowd. Especially after the whole issue during the last race where he also crashed into Vettel, he just went in too hot headed and it cost him, Vettel, Ricciardo, Red Bull and Sainz points. I am not sure what was going on in his head but he really seemed to be in a red mist situation when he crashed into Vettel twice.

Helmut Marko said after the race that he understood and was OK with the first bump into Vettel due to him being really gunning for a good result in his home race but the second crash was inexcusable in Marko's opinion.

I do not know, I still think he has a good future in F1 but he is on his last chance IMO to save his career in F1, if not he is going to have to go into other race formats (in the US or DTM).

It certainly could prove life changing for him.

~ he crashed into Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel not once but twice, eliminating him from the race but also destroying the hopes of himself (due to damage, extra pit stops, 10 second stop and go penalty and points on his F1 super license), his team mate Ricciardo (who also suffered damage from Kyvat's double crash with Vettel) but also sister team driver Carlos Sainz as part of the wing from one of the Red Bull wings flew into his side pot making his engine overheat causing an extra pitstop that threw Sainz out of points contention too ~

You really typed all that and thought Kyvat shouldn't have been reprimanded or replaced? :lamo

More seriously, I have a feeling Verstappen's performances have other teams seriously considering offers to get him and this was a desperate move to tie him in. The Torro Rosso cars have performed almost as well if not better last season than the senior Red Bull cars so Verstappen may actually feel he's taking a step back in performance.

This sudden move could backfire.

You really typed all that and thought Kyvat shouldn't have been reprimanded or replaced? :lamo

More seriously, I have a feeling Verstappen's performances have other teams seriously considering offers to get him and this was a desperate move to tie him in. The Torro Rosso cars have performed almost as well if not better last season than the senior Red Bull cars so Verstappen may actually feel he's taking a step back in performance.

This sudden move could backfire.

Reprimanded? Yes, he should have been reprimanded but replaced? The race before Russia he drove them onto the podium so a bit of clemency might have been in order.

But the Toro rosso cars cannot improve this year and the Red Bull's will receive serious upgrades in a few weeks making them potentially much faster than last years Ferrari engines.

Reprimanded? Yes, he should have been reprimanded but replaced? The race before Russia he drove them onto the podium so a bit of clemency might have been in order.

It was a light-hearted comment. I also think the decision was harsh but I am more of the opinion this was a move to keep Verstappen.

But the Toro rosso cars cannot improve this year and the Red Bull's will receive serious upgrades in a few weeks making them potentially much faster than last years Ferrari engines.

Only if Renault's engineers have cracked what Mercedes and Ferrari have done with their power units. Maybe too the Red Bull management felt Verstappen would be more aggressive and make more of the new engines (if they are a success) than Kyvat would?

Any doubts that moving Verstappen up to the A team and demoting that annoying little :censored Kyvat I suspect are now no longer relevant.

Back
Top Bottom