• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk's Neuralink puts computer chips in pigs' brains in bid to cure diseases

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Elon Musk'''s Neuralink puts computer chips in pigs''' brains in bid to cure diseases

Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk's neuroscience startup Neuralink unveiled a pig named Gertrude that has had a coin-sized computer chip in its brain for two months late Friday, showing off an early step toward the goal of curing human diseases with the same type of implant.

Co-founded by Tesla Inc and SpaceX CEO Musk in 2016, San Francisco Bay Area-based Neuralink aims to implant wireless brain-computer interfaces in the most complex human organ to help cure neurological conditions like Alzheimer's, dementia and spinal cord injuries and ultimately fuse humankind with artificial intelligence.

"An implantable device can actually solve these problems," Musk said on a webcast Friday, mentioning ailments such as memory loss, hearing loss, depression and insomnia.

Elon Musk'''s Neuralink puts computer chips in pigs''' brains in bid to cure diseases

This is a great step towards treating depression, addiction, paralysis, etc. It is extremely great news technology can be used to help save lives.

Can it though?

If it can be used to affect mental state, so it can be used to combat depression, can it not do the opposite?

I can envisage a torture device using the same principle, is it more or less moral than physical torture?

Imagine it being used to inflict mental and physical pain... But being perceived as more humane because it isn't "real".

And if you can use something like that to affect mental state, perhaps we can use it to adjust behaviour... Or... Political thinking?

I mean I may be a bit too dystopian.

But I dunno, my faith in humanity, my view of the future is deteriorating at a rapid pace and seeing that current technology, that was supposed to make our life easier, but is quickly becoming dystopian in its application such as data harvesting and the destruction of privacy as an idea, what that may mean for us down the road is a scary prospect.

If it can be used to affect mental state, so it can be used to combat depression, can it not do the opposite?

I can envisage a torture device using the same principle, is it more or less moral than physical torture?

Imagine it being used to inflict mental and physical pain... But being perceived as more humane because it isn't "real".

And if you can use something like that to affect mental state, perhaps we can use it to adjust behaviour... Or... Political thinking?

I mean I may be a bit too dystopian.

But I dunno, my faith in humanity, my view of the future is deteriorating at a rapid pace and seeing that current technology, that was supposed to make our life easier, but is quickly becoming dystopian in its application such as data harvesting and the destruction of privacy as an idea, what that may mean for us down the road is a scary prospect.

I mean there’s easier ways than cutting someone’s skull open.... actually just that part works too

Back
Top Bottom