• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk startup shows monkey with brain chip implants playing video game

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Neuralink video appears to show monkey controlling game paddle simply by thinking

The billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk’s brain-chip startup released footage on Friday appearing to show a monkey playing a simple video game after getting implants of the new technology.

The three-minute video by Neuralink shows Pager, a male macaque with chips embedded on each side of its brain, playing Mind Pong. Although he was trained to move a joystick, it is now unplugged. He appears to control the paddle simply by thinking about moving his hand up or down.

“First @Neuralink product will enable someone with paralysis to use a smartphone with their mind faster than someone using thumbs,” Musk tweeted on Thursday.
=================================================
I have no reason to doubt this guy. The market for this type of implant will likely take off.

What is 'Mind Pong'? Having the right side of your brain play a game with the left side.

Neuralink video appears to show monkey controlling game paddle simply by thinking

The billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk’s brain-chip startup released footage on Friday appearing to show a monkey playing a simple video game after getting implants of the new technology.

The three-minute video by Neuralink shows Pager, a male macaque with chips embedded on each side of its brain, playing Mind Pong. Although he was trained to move a joystick, it is now unplugged. He appears to control the paddle simply by thinking about moving his hand up or down.

“First @Neuralink product will enable someone with paralysis to use a smartphone with their mind faster than someone using thumbs,” Musk tweeted on Thursday.
I have no reason to doubt this guy. The market for this type of implant will likely take off.

What is 'Mind Pong'? Having the right side of your brain play a game with the left side.
The video game is "Pong" - among the earliest video games invented. Mind Pong simply refers to being able to move your paddle up and down by thought without physical contact with a controller.

The video game is "Pong" - among the earliest video games invented. Mind Pong simply refers to being able to move your paddle up and down by thought without physical contact with a controller.

Years ago I worked in purchasing in the engineering dept of a big paper company. They were getting involved with mag drives for mainframe computers so they had a digital designer. This young guy built Pong in a briefcase using chips he had gotten through his employer. I got to use it one night.

This guy wasted thousands of $$$ between the chips (then expensive) & the time he took to design & build this game. Hooked to a TV.

I despise Elon, and I didn't read the article. How does the tortured test monkey command the chips?

I despise Elon, and I didn't read the article. How does the tortured test monkey command the chips?

The brain, as well as most of the rest of the body, is electrical. You can see that whenever they give you an EKG.

Scientists have studied electrical brain patterns for decades. Now Musk's people have interfaced the brains with electrodes connected to chips.

It is easy to exert mental control. If I'm looking at a monitor of some bodily function, I can make it change just by thinking about it.

Years ago I worked in purchasing in the engineering dept of a big paper company. They were getting involved with mag drives for mainframe computers so they had a digital designer. This young guy built Pong in a briefcase using chips he had gotten through his employer. I got to use it one night.

This guy wasted thousands of $$$ between the chips (then expensive) & the time he took to design & build this game. Hooked to a TV.
I remember it well. So simple, yet so infectious. Soon the macaques will graduate to Space Invaders, and before you know it, first person shooter games. Then someone will send an army of armed macaques out into the world . . . . et voila! Planet of the Apes !!

That's terribly interesting.

Read the article. 🤷

What is? That he despises Musk or that he has successfully inferfaced primate brains with electronic/visual games? The potential to help humanity with this kind of technology is incredible.

The brain, as well as most of the rest of the body, is electrical. You can see that whenever they give you an EKG.
Yes.

Scientists have studied electrical brain patterns for decades. Now Musk's people have interfaced the brains with electrodes connected to chips.
Yes. I figured that's how it's done on the most basic level. But what is the mechanism on a deeper level? Are these humans and monkeys communicating? Because I'm thinking that without high-level communication this is suspicious.

It is easy to exert mental control. If I'm looking at a monitor of some bodily function, I can make it change just by thinking about it.
Humans can control some of their functions, but what percentage? I believe that most brain and body functions are automatic and uncontrollable.

Oh, God. More Democrat voters! :ROFLMAO:

What is? That he despises Musk or that he has successfully inferfaced primate brains with electronic/visual games? The potential to help humanity with this kind of technology is incredible.
I mostly see the potential downsides.

I despise Musk because he said "We'll coup whoever we want to coup. Deal with it." I believe this is with regard to USG meddling in Bolivia in 2019. I think Musk is a neoliberal and/or right-libertarian jerk.

I mostly see the potential downsides.

I despise Musk because he said "We'll coup whoever we want to coup. Deal with it." I believe this is with regard to USG meddling in Bolivia in 2019. I think Musk is a neoliberal and/or right-libertarian jerk.

In today's 'giveashit' world, I admire Musk for his accomplishments.

In today's 'giveashit' world, I admire Musk for his accomplishments.
I'm not sure what you mean by the first part.

I'm all for environmentalism and plenty of other good things. I'm very suspicious of Musk and his motivations. Musk has probably made an impact on electric vehicles. Space exploration is mostly a waste and detrimental to the environment. I haven't looked into him at all, but from what I see and hear he seems to believe he is superior.

If you'd like to take a shot at my commentary, then please do.

JFC!
"How can you be so obtuse. Is it deliberate?"

1u5zeo.gif

He SAID: "READ THE ARTICLE".

fact check trump supporters2.jpg

This is truly fascinating news. And it's just wonderful that this may one day lead to kids playing video games without moving muscle.

We successfully tested brain chips some time ago.

Here's the technical description from the article:

Neuralink works by recording and decoding electrical signals from the brain using more than 2,000 electrodes implanted in regions of the monkey’s motor cortex that coordinate hand and arm movements, the video’s voiceover said.

“Using these data, we calibrate the decoder by mathematically modeling the relationship between patterns of neural activity and the different joystick movements they produce.“

I'm all for environmentalism and plenty of other good things. I'm very suspicious of Musk and his motivations. Musk has probably made an impact on electric vehicles. Space exploration is mostly a waste and detrimental to the environment. I haven't looked into him at all, but from what I see and hear he seems to believe he is superior.

The first part derives from my observation that more & more people think that labor (work) is not for them. They don't giveashit. Same with the anti-vaxxers & anti-maskers.

The first part derives from my observation that more & more people think that labor (work) is not for them. They don't giveashit. Same with the anti-vaxxers & anti-maskers.
I'd love to explore the work thing with you and others, but I'm not sure this is the right thread for that.

I'm curious: What do you consider your political perspectives to be?

I'd love to explore the work thing with you and others, but I'm not sure this is the right thread for that.

I'm curious: What do you consider your political perspectives to be?

I'm 100% for the Constitution as it was written & I'm against those who would work to change or anull parts of it that suit them for political reasons.

Benefits of space exploration
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Space exploration is mostly a waste and detrimental to the environment.

Every single piece of technology you own, unless it's transistor or vacuum tube operated, is the DIRECT result of the Space Program, starting with the early NASA Space Race to the Moon, and continuing forward. The roots of mainstream consumer access to microprocessors was a gift because Uncle Sam agreed with private industry that mainstreaming microprocessors to consumer electronics was the best way to reduce costs, which HAPPENED.**
**(Much more to this, requires its own thread)

For evidence of this please note that the Soviets experienced a ten to fifteen or even twenty year lag behind us in that field, with microprocessors remaining as incredibly expensive gee-gaws used mainly by the military over there for a very long time, which is why Soviet consumers clung to their vacuum tube tech for so long that the Russians are now one of the only remaining vacuum tube makers of any size or consequence.
Solid state transistor devices were considered cutting edge for many years in the old Soviet Union.
A personal computer equaling today's power using vacuum tubes would take up dozens of city blocks and require its own megawatt power plant.
Maybe a few LESS city blocks for a transistor based version, but we're still talking about something that stretches to the horizon if you want to approach today's computing power.

Even videotape editing, all the way from the era of machine based videotape editing to modern day NLE's, owes the existence of videotape TIME CODE to the Space Race, because it evolved from EeCo's On Time Rocket Telemetry Management software and one of the only things they changed was divvying up time differently, where EeCo originally used hundredths and then thousandths of a second whereas television needed it divided up into "thirtieths" of a second (30 fps frame rate - original NTSC monochrome or 29.97 fps color)
It boggles the mind how you can make such incredibly ignorant comments in this day and age, thus confirming Bill Maher's recent quip:

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity."

I haven't looked into him at all, but from what I see and hear he seems to believe he is superior.

But yet you feel entitled to weigh in on him Dunning-Kruger style, or is it "Family Style"???

tenor.gif

Seriously, this is a massive FAIL.
This is why so few take you seriously.
"A man's got to know his limitations."

mans gotta know his limitations.jpg

I'm 100% for the Constitution as it was written & I'm against those who would work to change or anull parts of it that suit them for political reasons.
You mean like the 3/5s of a human being part? That's how it was written. Are you against 19 Amendment. Not in "the constitution as it was written."

Back
Top Bottom