• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk is right about Apple

Musk is probably mad that he wasn't aware of this before pricing his checkmarks at $8/month

So you're both laissez faire capitalists?
I don’t feel the need to be upset about Apple’s platform just because Elon opened a bill.

Apple regularly charges the surcharge to have apps available on their platform. It is charged once that app crosses $X.

So you're both laissez faire capitalists?

Why would the government need to intervene? Apple created IOS and their method of distribution. Why should they not charge for those that want to use it? There are alternatives for sites to use if they want to be accessed from mobile devices without the store.

So you support the free market, yet the FTC is blocking EVERY attempted acquisition from Meta, Amazon, and even Microsoft acquiring Activision.

How is that promoting free market principles?
Yes it is, if the acquisition reduces competition in the market.

Now in the case of Activision, you are basically combining two of the biggest game producers to create a massive dominating machine. Hell Activision should have been broken up and not bought up as it was already huge due to previous go ling up of competitors.

Now saying that, many companies in the US should be broken up because they are hurting competition and hence the free market.

A secret tax that's been known about for 10+years

A secret closet that was known about for 4 years...

Elon seems out of touch lately...

Apple charges a 30% Apple Tax for in-app purchases yet the ftc is doing nothing about it. They are more worried about blocking Facebook from buying a start up vr app, Amazon from buying irobot and Ticketmaster charging too much for Taylor Swift tickets.

Apple has created such an oppressive environment for businesses yet nothing is done about it. I mean 30%? Really.

Shouldn't the ftc allow a third party competitor who charges like a flat 3% fee or some sort of annual amount?

The question I think is whether or not Apple is using monopolistic practices. Due to their large share in the smartphone market.

It was exactly 17 days between those two tweets.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I never owned an Apple product.. And I've never been on Twitter.. So I have no dog in this fight..

This fight is going to be fun to watch though . 3 tubs of popcorn fun...

Hmm… so 30% a reasonable profit margin for Apple, but not for freight railroads? ;)
Fee =/= profit margin.

Apple takes a 30 percent cut from app developers who make over $1 million through the ‌App Store‌ on an annual basis, but for small developers who make less, Apple has cut its fees to 15 percent through the Small Business Developer Program.

Fee =/= profit margin.

OK, Apple’s profit margin is only a tad over 25%.

Apple net profit margin as of September 30, 2022 is 25.31%.

So a company like Spotify, for example, should just concede 30% of its profits to Apple?

What other options do they have?

Start their own cell phone company with app store.

The question isn't the 30%, but what are the getting for that 30%. Are they getting advertising, a clean operating system, access to a solid customer base, analytics, etc.? There are people with very small, very cheap apps that pull in tens of millions of dollars in monthly revenue to having access to the App store. Procreate (a $10 app with no subscription) pulls in ~$3 million a month. That's pretty good for a company with ~30 employees.

And no, I'm not defending Apple, I'm saying that if you get value for 30%, then it's not a rip-off. In fact, it could be a bargain.

Like everything else in this world, it depends.

The question I think is whether or not Apple is using monopolistic practices. Due to their large share in the smartphone market.

Android has the largest market share.

It was exactly 17 days between those two tweets.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

It's sick that they're probably going to let the anti-vax bots post. That can do a lot of damage.

It's sick that they're probably going to let the anti-vax bots post. That can do a lot of damage.
one arrogant guy can kill tons of Americans just by his words.

wait, didn't we already do this??

So a company like Spotify, for example, should just concede 30% of its profits to Apple?

What other options do they have?

Radio?

Why do we care about making Spotify's (or any other specific company's) life easier, anyhow?

Aren't they supposed to earn their own money?

And 30% might look like a thick margin, but there's plenty thicker.

I once worked for a private telecom that interconnected ~100 countries' telecom systems, which took years and hardware strewn all over the world, but the 10-20 cents/minutes they charge amounted to a 10000% profit margin, because we dealt directly with all of the national telecom companies in each country, and were paying a fraction of a cent/minute for that same phone time.

So is that a genius moneymaker, or an awful abuse?

We've always toasted the health of the owner/lead dev who came up with the concept and shared the wealth, but now I wonder.

That's a completely different platform than the iOS platform of Apple products. Literally down to the code used to write the apps - they are different.

Of course it is. However the premise is Apple has the largest market share of smart phones. Nearly every phone other than iPhone runs on Android. The Android phone market is larger. It's just that the iPhone is more profitable.

Which Technology company is performing well at this moment? Amazon, Google, Meta, Nvidia, take your pick from the buffet.

True, but TSLA doesn't have the same market cap and record of profitability of an Amazon or Google. I honestly am less familiar with Nvidia, but in Meta's case, I think it similarly suffers from poor leadership. TSLA is also facing the prospect of growing competition and the brand is suffering at a time when it can afford it the least. FWIW, I think their energy storage and potential to make that a regular in-home type product is a real game changer and should probably be as much, if not more, a focus of future company growth.

But I think the number of people that leave Apple over their infatuation with Musk is going to be insignificant. Apple's a global brand. Their problems with their Foxconn facility in China and their global supply chain are a far bigger headache than Musk.

Of course it is. However the premise is Apple has the largest market share of smart phones. Nearly every phone other than iPhone runs on Android. The Android phone market is larger. It's just that the iPhone is more profitable.

Hmm… don’t those two (bolded above) contradict each other?

Back
Top Bottom