• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk buys 9.2% stake in Twitter, making him the largest shareholder

We'll just remind you of the babbling, doddering old clown you voted in the Presidency.
What does this have to do with the post you responded to? Stop using your random, right-wing talking point generator.

As a free-market capitalist, I accept that the same mechanism that keeps Trump off of Twitter, can get him back on.
Twitter would have to re-write their rules of participation. Trump clearly violated them. No matter who owns the stock, his violation doesn't change.

Before conservatives start cheering the return of Donald Trump to Twitter too much, remember that Trump vs. DeSantis in 2024 likely equals another 4 years of Joe Biden.
I don't really see how DeSantis figures into that calc. Unless one of them runs as an independent and I don't see that happening. It really is only if Trump is the GOP nominee that we end up with another 4 of Biden.

I don't really see how DeSantis figures into that calc. Unless one of them runs as an independent and I don't see that happening. It really is only if Trump is the GOP nominee that we end up with another 4 of Biden.
I would say that either one of them being the nominee gives us 4 more with a democrat in the WH. I sincerely doubt it will be Biden.

DeSantis has been way to prolific in the news cycles with all of his draconian legislation. No one want's that jerk-off in the WH !!! He'll have all the public libraries closing before long nationwide. What a moron. I like him less than Trump because he definitely has a much higher IQ. He's more dangerous.

Twitter would have to re-write their rules of participation. Trump clearly violated them. No matter who owns the stock, his violation doesn't change.

Agreed.

While my comment spoke to the ownership process, Trump violated the ToS, and deserved the boot.

I think the hope of the Trump Supporters is that Musk & the shareholders can effect a change in ToS. Knowing Musk, he may indeed try.

He must think the price of Twitter stock is going up.

Agreed.

While my comment spoke to the ownership process, Trump violated the ToS, and deserved the boot.

I think the hope of the Trump Supporters is that Musk & the shareholders can effect a change in ToS. Knowing Musk, he may indeed try.
And if he succeeds, it just proves that money talks louder than anything else, right or wrong. This is just an extension of rich corporations buying our government. I hope he does not succeed.

And if he succeeds, it just proves that money talks louder than anything else, right or wrong. This is just an extension of rich corporations buying our government. I hope he does not succeed.

For better or worse, buying a public corporation's stock, and the subsequent ownership & control, is free-market capitalism.

You really don't have much to offer here do you?

Coming from someone who for years has nothing but one liner, hyperpartisan trash.

Tell me something and be specific, what exactly are you celebrating in a person who has more money than you will ever see if you lived several lifetimes over... Taking a stake in Twitter?

What are you so happy about?

Elon Musk is a conman who is way overestimated in his entrepreneurial pedigree, what do you think is the end result of a 10% stake in twitter thats cost him Billions of Dollars?

You don't think Trump would run as an Independent if the GOP chose to back DeSantis?

Meh.... Twitter's value is its users and the advertising wanting to sell to them.... If Musk screws it up, the users and advertisers will leave...

I suspect the reason there's so much disagreement here between you guys, is . . . because . . . this is not about free-speech! Twitter =/= government!

But, it is about capitalism . . .

Free speech is not limited to the government's role.

Twitter is part of free speech. And we don't need ignorant jackass billionaires using their money to buy our systems for political speech. This is another type of things Louis Brandeis would say means you can't have both huge fortunes and democracy.

You don't think Trump would run as an Independent if the GOP chose to back DeSantis?
I do remember trump was the one Republican in the 2016 debate who refused to promise not to.

Reactions: lwf
Free speech is not limited to the government's role.

Yes, it is.

Twitter is part of free speech. And we don't need ignorant jackass billionaires using their money to buy our systems for political speech. This is another type of things Louis Brandeis would say means you can't have both huge fortunes and democracy.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

No, it's not.
You don't understand free speech then IMO.

If Twitter said 'no posts praising Democrats will be allowed', you're saying that would have no effect on people's free speech. It's silly. It's like saying if a government employee like a police officer shoots someone, that's murder, but if a private citizens shoots someone, it's not. As if only the government can have an affect on people's speech or shoot someone.

In fact, the private sector's power in free speech is quite important and as you show, not understood well enough.

Fox News has a massive effect in the area of free speech. Propaganda factories like Heritage do also - private. The nation's industry of talk radio does also - private. Newspapers have a historically huge role in free speech - private. The Newspaper can decide to print your 'letter to the editor', choose to cover a story or not - and twitter is part of the free speech infrastructure as well. You can reach a lot of people IF you can use it. Ask trump.

somebody(ies) got rich today...

1649113353145.png

The best way to preserve free speech is to buy it.
Generally the best way to end censorship is to remove people from power who engage in censorship. Not surprised certain people have a problem with that. It is pretty fun to see how quickly the "Twitter is a private company and can do what they want" and "If you don't like censorship why not get your own social media company" screechers turned into:

2q7ufs.png

Twitter would have to re-write their rules of participation. Trump violated them. No matter who owns the stock, his violation doesn't change.
He was banned for saying he wasn't attending Biden's inauguration. Which rule does that violate?

Before conservatives start cheering the return of Donald Trump to Twitter too much, remember that Trump vs. DeSantis in 2024 likely equals another 4 years of Joe Biden.
Only if Trump decides to run as a 3rd party.

I have no fear of a healthy primary competition and allowing either the Republicans or the Democrats to work out their issues and decide on who they will be putting on the ticket.

Generally the best way to end censorship is to remove people from power who engage in censorship. Not surprised certain people have a problem with that. It is pretty fun to see how quickly the "Twitter is a private company and can do what they want" and "If you don't like censorship why not get your own social media company" screechers turned into:

View attachment 67383919

Projection... If Musk wants to change twitter through his ownership stake he is free to do so.. Twitter users are, of course, free to disagree and move to another platform making his stake in the company worth less since ADVERTISORS follow the users

This Elon MusK purchase was certainly an entertaining and hopeful story of today.

Back
Top Bottom