• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elon Musk’s Twitter reportedly added office ‘bedrooms’ for employees

Musk isn't a free speech advocate as he banned anyone who made fun of him..
I stopped reading there

No he didn't.

I stopped reading there

No he didn't.

Erm, it was reported everywhere that he did exactly that.

I'm unsure how you can deny he did just that and banned people for mocking him.

I'm unsure how you can deny he did just that and banned people for mocking him.

Twitter Bans Accounts Mocking 'Free Speech Absolutist' Elon Musk​

They were banned for creating fraudulent accounts, misrepresenting their identity.
Impersonation is a foundation of comedy.

So not all comedy is legal on NewTwitter.

Link?

Never mind. I see this has already been addressed. The claim that Musk has "banned anyone who made fun of him," was just disinformation.

Fortunately for Peter, DP doesn't suspend accounts for that.

Link?

Never mind. I see this has already been addressed. The claim that Musk has "banned anyone who made fun of him," was just disinformation.

Fortunately for Peter, DP doesn't suspend accounts for that.

So yes, he banned parody accounts because they made fun of him.
That's hardly the actions of a free speech absolutist.

That also isn't disinformation as that's exactly what happened.

So yes, he banned parody accounts because they made fun of him.
That's hardly the actions of a free speech absolutist.

That also isn't disinformation as that's exactly what happened.
No, he banned parody accounts because they did not identify themselves as parody. Impersonating someone else has always been a violation of Twitter's rules.

If Griffin had added just one word - "parody", then she would have been allowed to make fun of Musk all day long.

Your claim has been fact-checked and determined to be false.

Meter_close2.jpg

No, he banned parody accounts because they did not identify themselves as parody. They claimed to be Musk himself, which has always been a violation of Twitter's rules.

If Griffin had added just one word - "parody", then she would have been allowed to make fun of Musk all day long.

Your claim has been fact-checked and determined to be false.

Meter_close2.jpg

The whole point of parody is you don't tell people it's parody, that's kind of the entire point of the joke.

If Musk is so thin-skinned he can't take criticism then he shouldn't try and claim he's a free speech absolutist.
He just isn't and you trying to defend him shows just how far you're willing to twist yourself in knots to defend the world's richest man who doesn't seem to give a shit about anyone, especially his employees.

The whole point of parody is you don't tell people it's parody, that's kind of the entire point of the joke.

If Musk is so thin-skinned he can't take criticism then he shouldn't try and claim he's a free speech absolutist.
He just isn't and you trying to defend him shows just how far you're willing to twist yourself in knots to defend the world's richest man who doesn't seem to give a shit about anyone, especially his employees.
Bored now. You're just wrong.

According to you, Musk "banned anyone who made fun of him." I'll bet you $10,000 that I can go to my Twitter account right now and post something like. "You'd think the world's richest man could afford a better haircut" on Musk's Twitter feed and nothing will happen to me.

Bored now. You're just wrong.

According to you, Musk "banned anyone who made fun of him." I'll bet you $10,000 that I can go to my Twitter account right now and post something like. "You'd think the world's richest man could afford a better haircut" on Musk's Twitter feed and nothing will happen to me.

So you think it's ok for a free speech absolutist to ban parody accounts about him and still be a free speech absolutist?

Surely an actual free speech absolutist would have no problems with parody accounts about anyone as it's free speech?

Elon Musk has reportedly converted some conference rooms at Twitter’s headquarters into makeshift “bedrooms” this week while pushing a “hardcore” work culture at the social media site.

A photo of one of the rooms obtained by Forbes — which didn’t publish the images and withheld the name of its source over “fear of reprisal” — displayed a queen-sized bed, a wooden bedside table and bright orange carpeting. The beds were purportedly added without any announcement or explanation for employees explaining the move.

Forbes said the rooms held “sleeping quarters reminiscent of sad hotel rooms” and featured “unmade mattresses, drab curtains and giant conference-room telepresence monitors.”
================================================================
When the beds start arriving at your work place, it's a sure sign that you need to update your resume.
When I worked for the Minnesota Education Computing Consortium (MECC) as a student at the University of Minnesota they had a room with bunk beds, and also a kitchen that included a stove. We only had to put in 40 hours during the week, they didn't care when. Some would come in Monday morning and not leave until Wednesday evening, getting all 40 hours in just three days. Since we were all students, our working hours generally revolved around our classes.

I liked that kind of environment. It allowed me to stay longer when I was more creative, and leave early when I wasn't.

It will be very difficult for some to quit.

This is true. I sponsored an H1B Visa employee once, and while it is possible for a Visa holder to get another sponsor, it is not that easy. If they are going to jump ship on their sponsor once, why wouldn't they do it again? Plus they have to go through the application process again, like it was a renewal. FYI, it costs the employer $1,000 to sponsor an H1B Visa holder for one year.

If US companies can have call centers in foreign countries, why can't IT firms have code writers in foreign countries?
Because those foreign countries have different cultures, and that is reflected in the code of their programmers. Making their code unusable in the US.

I have first-hand experience with that. BPX hired programmers in India to develop software for them, but the software they received was completely unusable. There was nothing wrong with the code, but all the English text and prompts were unintelligible or made no sense. BPX eventually hired me to completely re-write their application.

Programs should be developed in the country they are intended to be used. Programs written in foreign countries with different languages and cultures is always a bad idea.

Musk isn't a free speech advocate as he banned anyone who made fun of him.
Also turning a workplace into a living space is a change of use for the building and would require new permits for that building which Musk hasn't bothered to get and lastly he's breaking several employment rules by doing this which would also require an investigation.

I would ask if you'd be happy with an employer who forced you to live at work and work nonestop but I have a feeling you would.
Where are you coming up with this complete nonsense? Musk does not need a permit to install beds in his place of business. Nor he is violating any "employment rules" whatever you imagine those are.

This is true. I sponsored an H1B Visa employee once, and while it is possible for a Visa holder to get another sponsor, it is not that easy. If they are going to jump ship on their sponsor once, why wouldn't they do it again? Plus they have to go through the application process again, like it was a renewal. FYI, it costs the employer $1,000 to sponsor an H1B Visa holder for one year.
It would be an awful thing to have to tell the wife and kids that their lives are going to be completely upended because a psychopath bought the company and ruined working conditions for his own amusement. Many if not most of us would just buckle down and take it for as long as we could in that situation.

Just a note: In Sweden it is required for the workplaces to have a "restroom" with a bed, just in case someone get's sick at the workplace and need to rest or wait for ambulance. The bed isn't a queensize though, and it comes with no extras (except maybe a bathroom)

;)

Elon Musk has reportedly converted some conference rooms at Twitter’s headquarters into makeshift “bedrooms” this week while pushing a “hardcore” work culture at the social media site.

A photo of one of the rooms obtained by Forbes — which didn’t publish the images and withheld the name of its source over “fear of reprisal” — displayed a queen-sized bed, a wooden bedside table and bright orange carpeting. The beds were purportedly added without any announcement or explanation for employees explaining the move.

Forbes said the rooms held “sleeping quarters reminiscent of sad hotel rooms” and featured “unmade mattresses, drab curtains and giant conference-room telepresence monitors.”
================================================================
When the beds start arriving at your work place, it's a sure sign that you need to update your resume.
C'mon, it's all the rage in China!

Where are you coming up with this complete nonsense? Musk does not need a permit to install beds in his place of business. Nor he is violating any "employment rules" whatever you imagine those are.

LMAO... I can assure you, San Francisco, like most cities, has zoning, building and fire codes...

So you think it's ok for a free speech absolutist to ban parody accounts about him and still be a free speech absolutist?

Surely an actual free speech absolutist would have no problems with parody accounts about anyone as it's free speech?
He didn't ban Griffin for the parody. He banned her because you can't impersonate other people on Twitter. I get that you can't acknowledge this important distinction or else your whole argument collapses. Sucks to be you.

Even if Griffin's banning had been due to Musk not liking what she said, she's ONE ACCOUNT. Musk does not ban "anyone who makes fun of him". Your claim has been fact-checked and found to be false.
Meter_close2.jpg

Of course, Twitter used to ban not because of parody, but ideology. They would shadow ban and "do not amplify" accounts because they didn't like the content. That is far worse, and downright evil in my opinion.

Speaking as a software engineer (mostly in embedded DSP systems, not the internet), I've pulled my share of late-nighters where I knock off in the wee hours of the morning - too late to go home.

Usually I ended up crashing on the break room couch. Having a bed available would have been nice.

The facilities that major American companies have in India and the Philippines typically include dormitories for employees. Why are the twits complaining about this?

Are you implying that America should be striving towards what India and the Philippines do?

Because those foreign countries have different cultures, and that is reflected in the code of their programmers. Making their code unusable in the US.

I have first-hand experience with that. BPX hired programmers in India to develop software for them, but the software they received was completely unusable. There was nothing wrong with the code, but all the English text and prompts were unintelligible or made no sense. BPX eventually hired me to completely re-write their application.

Programs should be developed in the country they are intended to be used. Programs written in foreign countries with different languages and cultures is always a bad idea.
Was there any oversight of the development of the software while it was being made, or was there just one big handoff after it was completed? I've worked at a company where we had many contractors based out of India, and it worked quite well for us. They joined regular meetings, participated in code reviews, and were basically just regular employees except for the fact they worked remotely in another country. I think because they were part of those meetings and code reviews, a lot of issues including the one you mentioned were addressed early, so there was no long term impact in terms of code quality/readability.

Musk is Tusk (not featuring the USC marching band)

Why don't you ask him if he's going to stay?
Why don't you ask him if he's going away?
Ay...
Why don't you tell me what's going on?
Why don't you tell me who's on the phone?
O-o-o
Why don't you ask him what's going on?
Why don't you ask him the latest on his throne?
Hooga haaga hooga
Don't say that you love me
Just tell me that you want me
Musk
Just say that you want me
Don't tell me that you
Musk
Real savage like
Ugh
Musk
Musk
Musk Musk