• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elizabeth Warren apologized to Cherokee Nation over DNA test, tribe says

So.......she’s just not native enough for ya’. My, you are a true believing liberal arncha’?

No, I am a right-leaning Centrist.

OM

If you're a classic liberal, why do you have "Conservative" as your lean?

If you read the link you'd understand that Classic Liberalism is the belief that the federal government should be constitutionally "limited" and a dual federalism in place. That means power should be shared between the federal government and the states with far more power at the state and local level than is presently the case.

In short I'm closer to the ideas of the founders than I am of Marx and the other collectivists. We Americans have changed the concepts around in the 20th century to the point where they are practically meaningless. The Europeans understand these terms all too well.

The reason we are now stuck with a; strong, overly powerful, overly intrusive, central government is because FDR decided to create a Corporatist State structure back in the 1930's. That would be when the old republic of the founders actually died.

Because he's a LINO. :lol:

Just in case you're not just being funny here's a little linky for you too.

Classical Liberalism.

wink-happy-16.jpg

Not sure why she felt the need to apologize.

I think Warren's very common concept of race/identity using DNA didn't sit well with how Native Americans determine who is and isn't their kind - they spoke up about it, and she was forced to apologize.

I think the Native outlook on tribal membership could be used as a template to help ease racial tensions in the US. However, as is stands now, most of us are hard-coded to render racial distinctions (and therefore racial separation) based on DNA.

I think Warren's very common concept of race/identity using DNA didn't sit well with how Native Americans determine who is and isn't their kind - they spoke up about it, and she was forced to apologize.

I think the Native outlook on tribal membership could be used as a template to help ease racial tensions in the US. However, as is stands now, most of us are hard-coded to render racial distinctions (and therefore racial separation) based on DNA.

I don't recall her claiming to have tribal membership.

And I don't know why she'd have to apologize to them for proving her family lore to be correct.

Not sure why she felt the need to apologize.

Because the Cherokee tribe/nation decides who is (or is not) counted among them - proving to have a bit of 'similar' DNA does not get you admitted (invited?) into that tribe/nation.

I don't recall her claiming to have tribal membership.

And I don't know why she'd have to apologize to them for proving her family lore to be correct.

It's true that she didn't claim Cherokee tribal membership at the federal level, which would have entitled her to live in whatever segregated government-owned land reserved for them. However, she did say she was part Cherokee - and according to the Cherokee, only they can determine who and who isn't Cherokee, not DNA. They took offense, and since Warren is a champion of minorities, she was obliged to apologize.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/politics/elizabeth-warren-apology-to-cherokee-nation/index.html

Warren's explanation, her stories of a familial history and the DNA test, she added, only made things worse.
"All of those things aren't how indigenous people measure and determine Native identity," Nagle said. "It's how white people try to measure our identity -- by blood quantum or by percentages."

Warren was only following the white person's concept of race: Race is immutable - there is no choice in the matter. Race is genetic and can be proven with DNA. Warren is part Native as DNA has proven.

If she's part Indian, she IS part Indian per DNA. It is a scientific, immutable fact. If she is to apologize for that, she might as well apologize for having 2 eyes and 10 fingers.

It is true that none of us have any control over our DNA and nobody should ever be shamed or diminished or excluded or marginalized or accused because of their DNA whether their skin is black or white or any hue in between. And we all most likely eventually enjoy common links with ancient peoples in Africa if you agree with what the anthropologists conclude. So somewhere deep in our DNA there is probably that common link but it sure as heck isn't part of our heritage.

What she should apologize for is her capitalizing on and/or her attempting to capitalize on her "Native American heritage" which is a total sham since the DNA test showed significantly less than 1% central or South American indigenous people. She even claimed herself as Native American on her academic resume. She is about as Native American as I am African American given that my DNA is almost certainly pretty exclusively rooted in western Europe. But probably if somebody had a motive for finding an indigenous brown/red connection in a DNA though, they could probably come up with less than 1% as was the case with Warren and nobody would ever question it.

Warren is no idiot. I actually think she's one of the smarter members of Congress. I'm not a fan, but I will absolutely take that statement to the bank.

Bingo. Thanks for your objectivity and for not falling for suggestive opinions.

Nope. Acknowledging the existence of DNA means you understand a basic scientific premis.

as Far a ps I’m concerned she says she has native DNA. She has a test to back it up. That’s about science.

You say she isn’t native enough. Fine. That’s about politics.

The Cherekee tribe says she has no proof she has a Cherekee ancestor. She doesn’t. That’s about acceptance.

You are ridiculously reaching. Her DNA test prove does not prove native DNA, at least not native american dna. The test actually uses Peruvian markers. And even it it were native DNA, it was no more then any white European or American and not enough to qualify for minority status at any level.

The only people who call her "Pocohanta" (sic) are people who would not vote for her anyway.

Luckily most Americans prefer to analyze a candidate by his/her record and qualification for office. Not by Trump Nation idiocy of childish name calling.

But then Warren was ridiculed for her indian heritage claims, long before Trump became president.

Warren is no idiot. I actually think she's one of the smarter members of Congress. I'm not a fan, but I will absolutely take that statement to the bank.

If Warren were as smart as you would like to think, she would have checked out her geneology before claiming minority status on her civil service records rather then making the claims based on "Mommy says I'm an indian because I have high cheek bones".

If you're a classic liberal, why do you have "Conservative" as your lean?

Perhaps you would understand if you would look up the definition of "Classic Liberal" You might be surprised.

I do agree she can be excellent in some circumstances, and in her Senate Committee appointments she really shines. But have you seen her try to handle extemporaneous public Q & A in an adverse environment. She stumbles and comes off as fake and formulaic - very Hillary like.

You are right on this, too: Her more intimate private small venue Senatorial behaviour seems different than her large venue public presidential behabiour.

But in the end, I'm standing by the need for charisma and likability. It's not just about policy chops anymore; if you want the White House you've got to have a reasonable level of charisma and likability. As good as Warren is, she strikes me as kinda' flat in personality. There's no other way to explain it.

Anyway, for further reference here's an example where I think she really shines!

Who's your top pick then?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...27df76-2962-11e9-984d-9b8fba003e81_story.html

Turns out she actually did make a bona-fide self-identification as an "American Indian" as her "race," in her own handwriting, on her Texas State Bar registration card.

imrs.php

Using an open records request during a general inquiry, for example, The Post obtained Warren’s registration card for the State Bar of Texas, providing a previously undisclosed example of Warren identifying as an “American Indian.”

Warren filled out the card by hand in neat blue ink and signed it. Dated April 1986, it is the first document to surface showing Warren making the claim in her own handwriting. Her office didn’t dispute its authenticity.

Looks like Lizzie Lieallottawatha is toast. The Washington Post is after her now.

Ya so what she is trying to relate to get votes

Back
Top Bottom