• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elite K-8 school teaches white students they’re born racist

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
An elite Manhattan school is teaching white students as young as 6 that they’re born racist and should feel guilty benefiting from “white privilege,” while heaping praise and cupcakes on their black peers.Administrators at the Bank Street School for Children on the Upper West Side claim it’s a novel approach to fighting discrimination, and that several other private New York schools are doing it, but even liberal parents aren’t buying it.
Modal Trigger
They complain the K-8 school of 430 kids is separating whites in classes where they’re made to feel awful about their “whiteness,” and all the “kids of color” in other rooms where they’re taught to feel proud about their race and are rewarded with treats and other privileges.
Elite K-8 school teaches white students they’re born racist | New York Post

The insanity of this **** is getting out of ****ing hand.

How do you fight racism? You teach every kid, that were all the same. We're all flesh and blood, we're all God's children, we're all people. So what if Jermaine has dark skin and Bobby is white? Who cares? You guys like playing tag, go play tag.

That's all that you need to do.

/smh

A novel approach?

As in "our form of indoctrination is more innovative than all prior forms combined?" :roll:

In New York????? Oh Man, we could have never seen this coming.

I don't have the time to look into it now, but I'd bet good money that this is just another BS rightwing drama-queening thread from Renae

If the unnamed parent don't like the curriculum, why don't she pick a school that isn't progressive and elite?
Elite K-8 school teaches white students they’re born racist | New York Post

The insanity of this **** is getting out of ****ing hand.

How do you fight racism? You teach every kid, that were all the same. We're all flesh and blood, we're all God's children, we're all people. So what if Jermaine has dark skin and Bobby is white? Who cares? You guys like playing tag, go play tag.

That's all that you need to do.

/smh

I have to mow the lawn, but later this could probably be interesting to dig into.
I don't have the time to look into it now, but I'd bet good money that this is just another BS rightwing drama-queening thread from Renae

Nope, this is a real school and it's just as wacky as the OP describes.

Should white students be taught that they are equal to black students implicitly or explicitly?

Personally, I fail to see how this translates into a useful life skill. Schoolchildren should be taught to respect themselves as individuals and their peers. Teaching racism, or sexism is retrograde, not progressive.

New York Post is a tabloid.

It's published in tabloid format, but so what? Has it published facts about the Bank Street School? Do you dispute what are its reported facts? If you dispute them, then why haven't you provided evidence that the NY Post has misrepresented the facts rather than simply shooting the messenger here?

I believe that episodes like this are biproducts of the devisive "divide-and-conquer" mindset of the democrat party. Their efforts to segment our society into "women" and "blacks" and "transgenders" and "whites" and "gays" and "gun-lovers" and "rich Republicans," etc. ad infinitum, promotes segregation and destoys cohesion. The effort is a conscious effort because the notion of "E Pluribus Unum" is a threat to people like Barack Obama and George Soros. As one voice WE are unbeatable. As 100 or so splinter groups, all our enemies have to do is crush one group at a time.

The concepts of "Identity Politics" and "Never let a crisis go to waste" will ruin us if we let them.

It's published in tabloid format, but so what? Has it published facts about the Bank Street School? Do you dispute what are its reported facts? If you dispute them, then why haven't you provided evidence that the NY Post has misrepresented the facts rather than simply shooting the messenger here?

The NY post doesn't really provide any evidence itself. It provides a ton of half quotes, and anonymous sources. If evidence is what we're going by, there isn't much to start with in the tabloid provided by the OP.

The NY post doesn't really provide any evidence itself. It provides a ton of half quotes, and anonymous sources. If evidence is what we're going by, there isn't much to start with in the tabloid provided by the OP.

I'm not sure what a "half quote" is. The article quotes parents who, understandably, want to remain anonymous, but it also references school presentation slides. Have you seen them? From the article:

Bank Street has created a “dedicated space” in the school for “kids of color,” where they’re “embraced” by minority instructors and encouraged to “voice their feelings” and “share experiences about being a kid of color,” according to school presentation slides obtained by The Post. ...The same slides point out that a number of leading private schools across the country also have segregated students by “race-based affinity groups.” It lists several in New York, including Riverdale Country School, Brooklyn Friends School, The Cathedral School, The Calhoun School, Ethical Culture Fieldston School, and Little Red School House and Elisabeth Irwin High School.

News outlets other than the NY Post have begun to pick up on this story. Perhaps you have insider information not available to me or others, and if so, I hope you'll share it. Perhaps the school will release a statement or evidence will be presented that the NY Post is being dishonest in some way.

Until then, I haven't seen a reason to shoot the messenger.

"I don't have time to prove anything, I'm just going to throw massive insults at other posters"

I'm not sure what a "half quote" is. The article quotes parents who, understandably, want to remain anonymous, but it also references school presentation slides. Have you seen them? From the article:

Bank Street has created a “dedicated space” in the school for “kids of color,” where they’re “embraced” by minority instructors and encouraged to “voice their feelings” and “share experiences about being a kid of color,” according to school presentation slides obtained by The Post. ...The same slides point out that a number of leading private schools across the country also have segregated students by “race-based affinity groups.” It lists several in New York, including Riverdale Country School, Brooklyn Friends School, The Cathedral School, The Calhoun School, Ethical Culture Fieldston School, and Little Red School House and Elisabeth Irwin High School."

News outlets other than the NY Post have begun to pick up on this story. Perhaps you have insider information not available to me or others, and if so, I hope you'll share it. Perhaps the school will release a statement or evidence will be presented that the NY Post is being dishonest in some way.

THANK YOU.

If someone finds this story is bunk, ACES. If someone can prove the NY Post is making mountain out of mole hill, ACES. As presented it's stupid.

Renae, I've got something to share with you. It's a bit off-topic, but whatever.

This week I've been working with a Violence Prevention Counselor at a resale/women's center, and she told me something that made my jaw drop straight to the ground.

So a few years back she was teaching a diversity class, but she ended up losing the positon. You want to know why? Get this: it's because she was white, and some students were offended that a white person was teaching a diversity class.

THANK YOU.

If someone finds this story is bunk, ACES. If someone can prove the NY Post is making mountain out of mole hill, ACES. As presented it's stupid.

I'm Googling "race-based affinity groups," and this appears to be quite the little trendlet:

Riverdale Country School: Affinity Groups

Brooklyn Friends School | Diversity

Manhattan's Fieldston school divides children into 'affinity groups' according to race | Daily Mail Online

Calhoun School: Diversity & Equity Groups

From the NY Times in February of 2015 and discussing several of the schools listed in the NY Post article:

In the past, private school diversity initiatives were often focused on minority students, helping them adjust to the majority white culture they found themselves in, and sometimes exploring their backgrounds in annual assemblies and occasional weekend festivals. Now these same schools are asking white students and faculty members to examine their own race and to dig deeply into how their presence affects life for everyone in their school communities, with a special emphasis on the meaning and repercussions of what has come to be called white privilege. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/n...ing-white-privilege-from-the-inside.html?_r=0

Renae, I've got something to share with you. It's a bit off-topic, but whatever.

This week I've been working with a Violence Prevention Counselor at a resale/women's center, and she told me something that made my jaw drop straight to the ground.

So a few years back she was teaching a diversity class, but she ended up losing the positon. You want to know why? Get this: it's because she was white, and some students were offended that a white person was teaching a diversity class.

"I have a dream...."
And that dream is dead....

And yes, I can believe it.

Perhaps another source would help.

The extreme program is run by Bank Street's director of diversity, Anshu Wahi, who said that even babies display signs of racism and encourages parents to make children as young as kindergarten age to talk about race, according to The Post.

She added that the answer to racism is for white kids to see the 'race in everything' and that the program merely empowers children of color who may otherwise feel 'alienated' and 'devalued in a 'dominant white culture'.

Segregating the children of color, she says, gives them a 'safe place' where they can share their 'ouch moments.'

There have also been concerns over the school screening of Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution, which depicts Panthers founder Huey Newton as a martyr.

And while parents claim that the program forces white children to feel guilty about acts of racism committed by people they have never met, Wahi believes it is the only way to stamp the institutional racism that still exists across the country.​

Read more: New York school tells white kids they should be ashamed of their privilege | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I just looked into my crystal ball, and I have foreseen the future of this thread:

trainwreck.jpg

No way is your post off-topic. It's dead on. 60 years ago we were all Americans. We knew each other. We accepted each other. We were trying to make the world a better place.

Now, look at us. We are segmented and segregated. Why? Because our enemies know that a divided house can not stand. Our world is not one big happy campfire around which a mass of people who look exactly alike, think exactly alike, talk exactly alike, work the same number hours each day, eat the same foods, and acknowledge the same higher being hold hands and sing. We are different. Being different is good. Accepting difference is priceless.

God forbid there is a "school" somewhere that treats children like the school in the OP. But if there is, the blame can be placed at the feet of anarchists like Barack Obama.

I'm not sure what a "half quote" is.

It's what I'd call a quote that is floating in the air without anybody or anything it can attributed to. Tons of those in this article.

The article quotes parents who, understandably, want to remain anonymous, but it also references school presentation slides. Have you seen them? From the article:

Bank Street has created a “dedicated space” in the school for “kids of color,” where they’re “embraced” by minority instructors and encouraged to “voice their feelings” and “share experiences about being a kid of color,” according to school presentation slides obtained by The Post. ...The same slides point out that a number of leading private schools across the country also have segregated students by “race-based affinity groups.” It lists several in New York, including Riverdale Country School, Brooklyn Friends School, The Cathedral School, The Calhoun School, Ethical Culture Fieldston School, and Little Red School House and Elisabeth Irwin High School.

Yes, I've seen the slides, I've seen nothing to demonstrate that this is anything other than right wing whining about a school that isn't teaching about the time dinosaurs and humans walked together. Imagine, the shock of a school dealing with racism from a perspective where people actually discuss it instead of pretend that the statements of avowed racists like Trump have merit and it's politically correctness to criticize them!

Of course you don't. Just like you can't see the part where the article flat out denies systemic racism in the US today, or the part where the article hides behind anonymous parents and equates asking people not to stereotype Muslims to sympathizing with terrorists.

Carry on with the faux outrage.

:roll:

Back
Top Bottom