• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

elephant and donky

skabanger13

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
OK republicans have the elephant to represent their party, a strong intelligent animal. democrats on the other hand have a jack-ass, and I'm not talking about dean, Kerry are Kennedy. hhmmmm makes you wonder. :monkey
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,176
Reaction score
6,279
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Hahaha - it does indeed.
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
skabanger13 said:
OK republicans have the elephant to represent their party, a strong intelligent animal. democrats on the other hand have a jack-ass, and I'm not talking about dean, Kerry are Kennedy. hhmmmm makes you wonder. :monkey
Man that's funny! But...

Republicans have a strong intelligent animal representing their party, true. Now if they could just do something to get strong intelligent people in the party.
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,176
Reaction score
6,279
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
So you are saying the dems have thier end covered?
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
vauge said:
So you are saying the dems have thier end covered?
Oh, I hardly think the Democrats "have their end covered." I was really just jabbing back at the humorous barb. So, in a way the jackass might well be a good mascot for the Democrats. But, if the animal's going to match the parties tendencies, maybe the GOP should replace that Elephant with a blind Lemming.:p
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,176
Reaction score
6,279
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Pacridge said:
Oh, I hardly think the Democrats "have their end covered." I was really just jabbing back at the humorous barb. So, in a way the jackass might well be a good mascot for the Democrats. But, if the animal's going to match the parties tendencies, maybe the GOP should replace that Elephant with a blind Lemming.:p
I think a good dem mascot would be a Ferret.
  • Cute and cudly.
  • They run and hide when there are loud noises.
  • Sleep all day and they get nothing done.
  • The smallest little things can keep thier attention for hours.
  • Instead of blowing out a candle, they will put thier nose in it and get burned.
(bear in mind I used to own several)
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
vauge said:
I think a good dem mascot would be a Ferret.
  • Cute and cudly.
  • They run and hide when there are loud noises.
  • Sleep all day and they get nothing done.
  • The smallest little things can keep thier attention for hours.
  • Instead of blowing out a candle, they will put thier nose in it and get burned.
(bear in mind I used to own several)
I like it! Two rodents representing our political parties. Though it sounds like you have some knowledge of Ferrets. Whereas most people wrongly believe Lemmings have some suicidal tendency where they're willing to follow a leader to their own demise. So, they wouldn't really work as an accurate representative for the GOP.
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Re: elephant and donkey

Adlai Stevenson said, "The elephant has a thick skin, a head full of ivory, and as everyone who has seen a circus parade knows, proceeds best by grasping the tail of its predecessor."

Fortunately for Republican supporters it is easier to say “ I would rather be an elephant than an ass!"

The history of the GOP and the Democrats parties did seem to have a switch over time where they almost square danced to the others' position:

GOP said:
Abolishing slavery. Free speech. Women's suffrage. In today's stereotypes, none of these sounds like a typical Republican issue, yet they are stances the Republican Party, in opposition to the Democratic Party, adopted early on.

Some people have argued that Republicans fought to give blacks equal rights and then the vote as a way of wresting control of the South away from the Democrats. While it is true that almost all blacks voted Republican, these were very dangerous and controversial issues at the time
In the 1850s, following the disintegration of the Whig Party, the Southern wing of the Democratic Party became increasingly associated with the expansion of slavery, in opposition to the newly revamped United States Republican Party. Democrats in the Northern states opposed this new trend, and at the 1860 nominating convention the Party split and nominated two candidates (see U.S. presidential election, 1860). As a result, the Democrats went down in defeat – part of the chain of events leading up to the United States Civil War. During the war, Northern Democrats fractured into two factions, War Democrats, who supported the military policies of Republican President Abraham Lincoln, and Copperheads, who strongly opposed them..
 
Top Bottom