• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Electioneering.... The Real IRS Scandal!!

Diving Mullah

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Since 1954. The Internal Revenue Code prohibits tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organizations - including churches - from intervening or participating in political campaigns on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate.

But, many churches are ignoring that law. In an annual event called "Pulpit Freedom Sunday," pastors from more than 1,000 churches have challenged the regulation by preaching about political topics. The group did this leading up to the 2012 election as well - with many pastors flat out endorsing Mitt Romney for President in their daily sermons.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation is suing the IRS for its "policy of non-enforcement of the electioneering restrictions" when it comes to churches and religious organizations. So why is that IRS willingly and knowingly allowing these institutions to break the law?

This should be the real IRS scandals!!!!

Diving Mullah

Since 1954. The Internal Revenue Code prohibits tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organizations - including churches - from intervening or participating in political campaigns on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate.

But, many churches are ignoring that law. In an annual event called "Pulpit Freedom Sunday," pastors from more than 1,000 churches have challenged the regulation by preaching about political topics. The group did this leading up to the 2012 election as well - with many pastors flat out endorsing Mitt Romney for President in their daily sermons.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation is suing the IRS for its "policy of non-enforcement of the electioneering restrictions" when it comes to churches and religious organizations. So why is that IRS willingly and knowingly allowing these institutions to break the law?

This should be the real IRS scandals!!!!

Diving Mullah

Ask the labor unions about that.

501(c) organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have but since only 11% of entire US workforce is Union and they have been servery defunded and crushed, I hear nothing but whimper, compare to trillion dollars industry of mega churches who practice nothing but politics and social anti engineering, I would rather go for the crime boss rather than the petty thief!

Diving Mullah

I didn't feel like retyping it. Sorry... But you should be smart enough to get the drift...
FFS...SOME unions ARE 501C5.....but how this conversation got derailed from the status of Church's.....to what unions are or are not in the eyes of the IRS....I'll leave to people like you to figure out.

For some frigging reason, this forum is getting worse and worse where some people intentionally derail as soon as possible every thread they enter.

Unions are not 501(c)(3)'s.

What is it today? Not stay on topic day?

I will not even attempt to justify or explain the whacky IRS code or all of variations of "special" treatment for 501(c)(1 to 29) tax exempt status organizations. It seems to me that since religion (and any associated activity of its personnel) is specifically mentioned in our constitution as not being under gov't control that may be why the IRS chooses to tread lightly in that area.

I will not even attempt to justify or explain the whacky IRS code or all of variations of "special" treatment for 501(c)(1 to 29) tax exempt status organizations. It seems to me that since religion (and any associated activity of its personnel) is specifically mentioned in our constitution as not being under gov't control that may be why the IRS chooses to tread lightly in that area.
You can't admit to your derailing, you can't reference what you previously stated, you cannot stay on topic, you refuse to answer direct questions...again and again and again.

You make this place worse than it already is....and I hope you report this because it is a direct attack on your person.

FFS...SOME unions ARE 501C5.....but how this conversation got derailed from the status of Church's.....to what unions are or are not in the eyes of the IRS....I'll leave to people like you to figure out.

For some frigging reason, this forum is getting worse and worse where some people intentionally derail as soon as possible every thread they enter.

It had to get deflected back to the liberals somehow.

Back
Top Bottom