• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Election 2010: Quick Thoughts

The world recession was caused by the collapse of the American banking system a couple of years ago, thank you, but that kind of help we can do without.

The collapse of the American banking system was caused by Democrats support of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Humm. Bush doubled the debt and handed Obama a $1.416 trillion deficit. And the Great Recession was caused by Wall Street, The Big banks and the policies of George W. Bush.

Democrats control of Congress since January 2007 doubled the debt, not President Bush.

I think that this is a bad day for intelligent people in America.I'm disapointed for all you good Americans .

It struck me watching Jerry Springer last Night( We get re-runs in Europe)...

God Help America.

Elitist, Springer (re-run) watching (those two are funny enough, in and of themselves) and God fearing. But not a republican... :)

I smell a rat.

Last edited:
I keep telling you it was Wall Street, the big lending institutions that caused the economic mess:

Who signed the repeal of Glass/Steagall?

The rest of your comments are a waste of time from someone from the Left Coast. Still don't understand free enterprise and capitalism, no wonder Oregon is in such a mess.

Oh I see now Texas LOL.

Please don't lump all of us Texans with people that have view points that are partisan.

I do wonder if Americans will ever learn that it was the Republicans that got us in too the mess were in now? However I do not think that the Democrats have done well either thought. I however hope with this new election that they will find a better solution and work together instead of bickering at each other for the next two years.....

Last edited:
Please don't lump all of us Texans with people that have view points that are partisan.

I do wonder if Americans will ever learn that it was the Republicans that got us in too the mess were in now? However I do not think that the Democrats have done well either thought. I however hope with this new election that they will find a better solution and work together instead of bickering at each other for the next two years.....

I moved to TX in 1992 and get out around the country a lot. Many Texans who complain about the mess Republicans got us into simply are out of touch with reality and what is going on around the country. Most don't understand just how good we have it in TX with great quality of life and low cost of living. In a terrible job market more jobs were created in TX than any other state in the country and close to all other states combined. Businesses continue to move here from California and Illinois, high tax states, bringing with them a lot of taxpaying employees and consumers.

Republicans didn't get us in this mess as the economic numbers show. The problems didn't start until one year AFTER the Democrats took control of Congress. Economic growth during the Bush years increased 4.5 trillion dollars, the largest economic growth in dollars in U.S. history. Before the recession over 9 million jobs were created and that includes the period of the inherite recession Bush had and then 9/11.

The majority of Texans got it right on Tuesday night re-electing Perry and adding 20 Conservatives to the legislature. I love this state and the move here was the best I have ever made. Sorry you don't see it that way.

Who signed the repeal of Glass/Steagall?

The rest of your comments are a waste of time from someone from the Left Coast. Still don't understand free enterprise and capitalism, no wonder Oregon is in such a mess.
Bill Clinton signed it, it was wrong, but if the naked greed were not there,it would not have been a problem. But it was the Bush administration who decided to look away, look away. States like NY tried to stop the predatory lending practices of the large banks, but Bush told them to keep there hands off and had no jurisdiction over them.

Democrats control of Congress since January 2007 doubled the debt, not President Bush.
The debt was due to several factors but since Bush had the worst job creation on record, the lack of income tax to the treasury was a major factor. Add to that the 2 wars, Medicare "D" and the tax cuts.

Bill Clinton signed it, it was wrong, but if the naked greed were not there,it would not have been a problem. But it was the Bush administration who decided to look away, look away. States like NY tried to stop the predatory lending practices of the large banks, but Bush told them to keep there hands off and had no jurisdiction over them.

You really need to get off your partisan rants as they really just make you look childish. Both parties are responsible for the financial crisis we had in 2008 but it is conservative economic policy that makes this country go, not liberalism. You keep spreading misinformation that doesn't help your credibility, i.e. Bush creating a 1.4 trillion dollar deficit. then you make up things like Bush "told them to keep there hands off and had no jurisdiction over them" which is total bs. the partisan rants void of fact don't help your arguments.

The debt was due to several factors but since Bush had the worst job creation on record, the lack of income tax to the treasury was a major factor. Add to that the 2 wars, Medicare "D" and the tax cuts.

Obama is making Bush look good but you sure have a bad case of misinformation that has caused a bad case of BDS. Is that the information you get in Oregon? Now wonder the state is a mess.

No let me explain -you think you'r free, the point I'm making is that if you don't have a job and 16 million Americans don't, how do you afford healthcare? In Europe nobody pays for your existence, our taxes pays for our existance.We pay tax ,that tax pays for healthcare, education, pensions, unemployment etc.Germany for example is a richer country than America they have free education free healthcare unemployment assistance etc etc etc
I'm willing to explain more to you if you want to be educated about a better system, but I doubt if would be able to listen-because of your brainwashing by corporate America.

that's rather idiotic. taxes that pay for your healthcare are income redistribution that infringe on the freedom of those who have wealth taken to pay for you.

Brainwashing seems to be common in those who think others have a duty to fund their existence. its not a better system for those of us who are willing and able to pay our own way. It is-only in the short term-a better system for those who feel a need to suckle on the public teat. IN the long run its bad-addiction is always bad in the long run

Didn't Bush inherit Clinton's debt?

*Just a question*

Didn't Bush inherit Clinton's debt?

*Just a question*

Yes, Every President inherits whatever debt is in place when they took office. Those that believe Clinton had a surplus are incredibly naive and totally wrong. The debt went up every year Clinton was in office and that wouldn't have happened with a surplus. Clinton took office with a 4.4 trillion debt and left it at 5.7 trillion.

I think it's worth pointing out that the English led the fight for 3 years on their own so I think the Brits deserve the most credit.I'm not a great lover of the british given their history in Ireland but credit must be given to the British in WW2.
I wonder what would have happen if the Japs didn't bomb pearl harbour?

Yes, of course, the British deserve a lot of credit too. Also the role of the French and Polish to liberate Germany should be mentioned. I'd even say the Soviet soldiers deserve credit too, although their regime was horrible, and although Stalin established oppressive regimes in Eastern Europe. But those regimes were still better than Nazism was, and the individual soldier can probably not be blamed for their regime's crimes.

I just emphasized America's role, because I was talking with Conservative, who is American.

Yes, of course, the British deserve a lot of credit too. Also the role of the French and Polish to liberate Germany should be mentioned. I'd even say the Soviet soldiers deserve credit too, although their regime was horrible, and although Stalin established oppressive regimes in Eastern Europe. But those regimes were still better than Nazism was, and the individual soldier can probably not be blamed for their regime's crimes.

I just emphasized America's role, because I was talking with Conservative, who is American.

My Father-in-Law had his baseball career cut short by suffering wounds liberating Germany. He was a ball player in the Detroit Tiger Organization before the war started. He was shot by a German soldier while moving into Germany to remove the Nazis. thank you for that appreciation.

My Father-in-Law had his baseball career cut short by suffering wounds liberating Germany. He was a ball player in the Detroit Tiger Organization before the war started. He was shot by a German soldier while moving into Germany to remove the Nazis. thank you for that appreciation.

I'm very proud of my country, and I believe we have a great history and culture with many good sides, not just the horrible side, which culminated in the unspeakable crimes of Nazism. Both good and part are part of our history, and we need to remember both. But what I'm proud of most is what we have achieved after WW2: A truly free, democratic German republic with protection of civil and human rights. The Allies, especially America, made it possible we could build this great new Germany on the ruins of the old. That is why I am very fond of America, and especially fond of the American soldiers who paid a lot of effort to make this new Germany possible.

Barney Frank and Chris Dodd were sure that Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac were healthy. They were not. They allowed people to buy houses that could not afford them. That resulted in the financial mess that we are in. President Bush tried to warn us but we would not listen.

Back
Top Bottom