• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Elected U.S. Government Official with political courage?

johnation33

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Judging from the corruption (Tom Delay) and other events going on in the United States, political courage is really rare. After reading Profiles in Courage by JFK, I became inspired by the political courage portrayed in the book and went searching for a political official who has demonstrated courage.
I have a question to ask you all:
In what event, and who, do you think demonstrates political courage? Because frankly, its disheartening for me that there seems to be a lack of courage.

My Answer--
Who: Senator Frank Church
Why: Led the Church Committee and Investigation during the 1970s exposing a corrupt CIA (MKULTRA, LSD projects)

Can be anyone, including senators, state senators, governors, mayors, district attorneys (like Gallegos vs pacific lumber), etc

Since you're including Dist. Attys., I don't think you can bypass Guliani's prosecution of the mafia approx. 15-20 years ago...

johnation33 said:
Judging from the corruption (Tom Delay) and other events going on in the United States, political courage is really rare. After reading Profiles in Courage by JFK, I became inspired by the political courage portrayed in the book and went searching for a political official who has demonstrated courage.
I have a question to ask you all:
In what event, and who, do you think demonstrates political courage? Because frankly, its disheartening for me that there seems to be a lack of courage.

My Answer--
Who: Senator Frank Church
Why: Led the Church Committee and Investigation during the 1970s exposing a corrupt CIA (MKULTRA, LSD projects)
Just wondering: Is this for a scholarship?

I'm actually working on this same question for one.

Pretty difficult, knowing my distate for politicians.

scholarship? no, im just a really pissed off history teacher because of the lack of spine of our officials, just thinking that my time has more courageous people then these recent times.

Oh lol. I just found it an odd coincidence that we have the exact same question.

I myself have no idea what to say. I don't know many U.S. Government official who had political courage. lol

Back
Top Bottom