• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elders Scroll V: Skyrim

In the mean time:

Dude Has Seizure While Playing Oblivion, Sues Bethesda - News - www.GameInformer.com

Ryan McLaughlin was a former pilot in the Navy, and it's "former" thanks to Oblivion if his claims are true. He says that flashing lights in the gigantic Bethesda game caused him to have the first seizure he's ever experienced, and he subsequently lost his flying status.

"The product was so designed that it exceeded the upper acceptable limit of more than 3 flashes over a 1 second period, as well as acceptable spatial pattern and luminance flash limits. These risks were not made known to the plaintiff and/or an ordinary consumer prior to the time of purchase."

What flashing in particular (at least to spark epilepsy that is)?

In the mean time:

Dude Has Seizure While Playing Oblivion, Sues Bethesda - News - www.GameInformer.com

Ryan McLaughlin was a former pilot in the Navy, and it's "former" thanks to Oblivion if his claims are true. He says that flashing lights in the gigantic Bethesda game caused him to have the first seizure he's ever experienced, and he subsequently lost his flying status.

"The product was so designed that it exceeded the upper acceptable limit of more than 3 flashes over a 1 second period, as well as acceptable spatial pattern and luminance flash limits. These risks were not made known to the plaintiff and/or an ordinary consumer prior to the time of purchase."

What flashing in particular (at least to spark epilepsy that is)?

It was probably because he was overwhelmed by the awesome. :2razz:

It was probably because he was overwhelmed by the awesome. :2razz:

He just needs to admit he faked the epilepsy so he could get fired and play oblivion all day AND still get covered financially. Clever bastard. Anyways actually gives me an idea for uni since it comes out on my first year. :)

I took thirteen pages of notes during last week's two hour Skyim demo, but the two words I scribbled near the bottom of the first page probably sum it up better than anything else I wrote: holy ****. Yes, I wrote that in my notes. Bethesda's newest Elder Scrolls game is just that impressive. While that observation was originally prompted just by the game's breathtaking visuals, as the demo progressed it became clear that the gameplay will be every bit as impressive as the graphics and overall art direction.

The Escapist : Skyrim Preview

Like previous Elder Scrolls games, you start this one as a prisoner with no scripted backstory. All you know is that you're being led to your execution, and it's up to you to supply the context. Maybe you were falsely accused or maybe you had it coming. Either way, the game doesn't care what you've been; it only cares what you do next. Character creation has been simplified considerably. Now you'll simply select your gender, your race, and your appearance before jumping right into the thick of things.

From there your character advances according to the way you play him or her. The only way to improve a certain skill, like archery or magicka, is to use it. (Most of the other attributes that existed to feed into a skill ranking are gone now.) As you gain levels in a skill, you contribute to your overall character level. Each time you gain a character level, you'll have the option to buy whatever perks your skills allow. For instance, if you really focus on using your bow, you may unlock a perk that allows you to zoom in to aim your shots. Keep at it, and you might also unlock an additional perk that slows time while you aim. Go for axes and you might unlock a perk that causes additional bleeding damage each time you hit an enemy.

As cool as all that is, the real star of the skill system is the overall presentation. Normally that kind of thing wouldn't warrant a mention from me, but that's only because I've gotten so used to spreadsheets. Skyrim puts all yours skills against an astronomical backdrop. It sounds a bit cheesy but it really works and reinforces the whole "destiny" angle. Even better, your perks are stars in various constellations, so if you unlock all the perks for a given skill set, you're rewarded with a very compelling visual. Like I said, it might sound lame, but it's a great alternative to the character sheet model.

Once again, the game sounds great, the changes to the character skills and advancement system sound horrible.

Once again, the game sounds great, the changes to the character skills and advancement system sound horrible.

They're dumbing them down, I'm pissed off that they've removed the class creation feature, it was the way that every new game you started was different, they've ruined a lot of the replay value.

They're dumbing them down, I'm pissed off that they've removed the class creation feature, it was the way that every new game you started was different, they've ruined a lot of the replay value.

I blame console gamers and making games for all platforms. Some games should be just PC games so that they can be made actually complex.

Blame the PS3. Microsoft provides developers with tools to be able to create a Windows game application that can be ported over to the XBox pretty easily since as you know all games are built natively in a PC environment first.

The PS3 requires you move all of your code into a new engine and then optimize it for the platform and that process can be slow and buggy. That's why PS3 release dates are usually pushed back a lot further than the XBox and PC releases. Take the Crysis 2 map pack for example, or all of the COD map packs which always get a PC and XBox release first and countless of other examples.

Consoles always have something to offer over a PC system, but Microsoft's decision to not include Blu-Ray hardware makes it impracticle for developers to have a 3+ disk game and the hell developers need to go through to port a game to the PS system probably does take up a lot of core development time, time that can be used to make the game even better.

As for the expressed concerns on Skyrim, it's really something we know little about at this point in time. If i get the answers i'll be sure to update you guys as usual.

Last edited:
252833_10150191377036404_131368351403_7044302_4843137_n.jpg

248632_10150191377051404_131368351403_7044303_6335479_n.jpg

Okay so here is the deal. Your going to see A LOT more screenshots, real time game play footage and information on Skyrim at the E3 expo this month on the 7-9th of June. Its going to be HUGE this year, with Windows 8 and ME3 making a debut.

So im really hoping to post a link you guys can stream here in the coming days.

It will air LIVE on Monday at 9:30 AM PDT for Americans. Thats GMT-7 for us Euro's and just so you know in advanced Microsoft will have it on there facebook page streaming live on those dates.

Microsoft - Company - Redmond, Washington | Facebook

255169_10150189755761404_131368351403_7028425_1897331_n.jpg

Skyrim will be featured on the IGN E3 Live show at 12:40 PM PST on Wednesday to be more specific for that viewing.

I'll let you guys know more if anything comes through.

Last edited:
If any of you guys have access to the Hotel Figueroa in LA then make sure you dont miss this (and take us your own picture while your there)!

361510e274ceddc10a521096e6787127.jpg

I'm looking forward to this game a lot. Oblivion was one of my favorite games of all time. If this game is even half as good as Oblivion, it'll be one to remember.

Elder Scroll V: Skyrim E3 2011 7 minute Gameplay footage

That's what I'm buying myself for my birthday! :mrgreen:

Preordered and payed off. Now to wait 2 month :p

OK, this pisses me off more than I can say:

Microsoft nabs timed exclusivity deal for Skyrim DLC | VG247

Microsoft has announced an exclusivity deal with Bethesda for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The first two pieces of DLC for the game will land on Xbox Live for 30 days upon release, after which the DLC will land on PC and PS3, according to the press release. The content of said DLC has yet to be revealed. Skyrim releases worldwide on November 11.

1.jpg

Frost Astronach

2.jpg

Northern Coast Aurora Panorama

3.jpg

Orc

4.jpg

Riften Guard

5.jpg

Solitude Marsh

Last edited:
6.jpg

Standing Stone

7.jpg

Tundra

8.jpg

Alchemy

9.jpg

Assassin Kill

10.jpg

Bound Bow

Join me on the last 10 days until release as i do a countdown on the Skyrim thread! Remember to join the Elder Scrolls fan group!​

Quite the date.

Back
Top Bottom