• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elders Scroll V: Skyrim

Oblivion released, watered down for console gamers.

Fallout 3 released, basically a watered down version of Oblivion with pretty graphics.

SKyrim almost released, basically a watered down version of Fallout 3 with pretty graphics.

I really do miss the good old days of computer gaming when complexity was considered a positive.

Gone for good I think. There will be gems here and there, but by in large it's a facade of console trash.
Some indie games come close, but there is only so much you can do with a 1-2 man operation apparently.

Bethesda has always been this way though IMO, a big hollow, pointless game world, where the main thing you do...fight and travel, is not fun at all. The fact that they persist and others diminished, seems a majority likes that sort of thing? *boggle*
THE WORLD IS BIGGER!! You can do even more random, un-fun, unchallenging walking and jerkily-swinging a weapon!! MORE WORLD!! BIGGER MAPS!! Whoo hoo! (what the fug)

Stalker SOC, especially with a mod or two, was bliss IMO. I kept comparing fallout and oblivion, etc., to it, and they all fell short. Of course, the world was actually interesting, the environmental hazards were cool, unique, deadly, strategically avoidable, interactive....and fighting was not a slug-fest. Opponents immediately took cover and worked their way around the back of you.... a few shots, you're dead. Greatness...

Last edited:
Oblivion released, watered down for console gamers.

Fallout 3 released, basically a watered down version of Oblivion with pretty graphics.

SKyrim almost released, basically a watered down version of Fallout 3 with pretty graphics.

I really do miss the good old days of computer gaming when complexity was considered a positive.

Seriously?

@Mach what about this game looks trash?

Seriously?

@Mach what about this game looks trash?

Leveling system is now based mostly on the system used in Fallout 3.

Skills and stats therefore work differently(this is not good).

DLC is XBox first, then other platforms.

Fewer skills.

And so on.

Leveling system is now based mostly on the system used in Fallout 3.

Skills and stats therefore work differently(this is not good).

The fallout leveling system is much better than the generic one used in Oblivion.

DLC is XBox first, then other platforms.

It hardly makes the game bad just because Bethesda got a deal with XBox to delay the DLC on other consoles by a bit.
Fewer skills.

Fewer skills because the current skill system works in a much more complex and dynamic way.

oblivion and fallout 3 were great fun. and yes, I played morrowind and the original 2 fallout games on the pc back in the day. this just sounds like pc snobs pining for some great golden age of pc gaming that never really existed. yes, half-life was cool when it first came out. about 500 games since then have done it better.

All I know is that TES3: Morrowind was so awesome that I'm willing to keep giving TES releases a chance for several rounds after they start sucking. IMO Oblivion was so-so. But even if Skyrim sucked, I'd still be willing to buy TES6 to see... Morrowind is in my top 3 non-MMO games of all times. Morrowind, Final Fantasy VII and Civ1.

I'll admit that the lack of complexity in the mechanics of contemporary games doesn't bother me that much; some people continue to see the old complexity as stimulating, but looking back on it, it seems clunky and time-consuming, both to make and to play. I would rather they go the Bioware route and spend money things that improve the narrative structure, like professional writing and voice acting.

Last edited:
If you want complex mechanics, EvE Online has hands down the most complex mechanics of any game I've ever played.

I'll admit that the lack of complexity in the mechanics of contemporary games doesn't bother me that much; some people continue to see the old complexity as stimulating, but looking back on it, it seems clunky and time-consuming, both to make and to play. I would rather they go the Bioware route and spend money things that improve the narrative structure, like professional writing and voice acting.

See, the BioWare solution is the one I hate. I hated Dragon Age for example, because all the slow cut scenes with every bit of dialog spoken took me out of the aspect I was most interested in, playing the game. It is very possible to have complex story without all the cutscenes and long dialog sections...look at Half Life 1 and 2 as a good example.

oblivion and fallout 3 were great fun. and yes, I played morrowind and the original 2 fallout games on the pc back in the day. this just sounds like pc snobs pining for some great golden age of pc gaming that never really existed. yes, half-life was cool when it first came out. about 500 games since then have done it better.

Name some better than Half Life, that does not include Half Life 2.

I like sandbox games, like Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 and Gothic 3. Exploring is fun for me. I also loved more complex games, like Jagged Allience 2, and early RPG's like Planescape:Torment and Baldurs Gate series. Not really into war games or FPS's, with the exception of Deus Ex.

I'm looking forward to Skyrim. Just hope my old computer can handle it. :)

I like sandbox games, like Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 and Gothic 3. Exploring is fun for me. I also loved more complex games, like Jagged Allience 2, and early RPG's like Planescape:Torment and Baldurs Gate series. Not really into war games or FPS's, with the exception of Deus Ex.

JA2 was awesome. If you have Steam, you can get the original X-Com as well, which plays similarly and is if anything better. I think it is like 5 bucks.

Hearts of Iron/Europa Universalis are great games to try and do wargames with. They are grand strategy and you can control as much or as little as you want, from fairly straightforward, to very very complex.

5 weeks exactly, I'm exciteded.

I should make the point: I am complaining alot, but I will have the game on release day and spend alot of time with it. It's not that I think it will be a bad game, just that I worry it won't be as good as it could be.

JA2 was awesome. If you have Steam, you can get the original X-Com as well, which plays similarly and is if anything better. I think it is like 5 bucks.

Hearts of Iron/Europa Universalis are great games to try and do wargames with. They are grand strategy and you can control as much or as little as you want, from fairly straightforward, to very very complex.

X-Com didn't appeal to me at the time, and you're the first person on a non-gaming board that has ever heard of JA2! A friend turned me on to JA2 (and all the great "mods" made by fans) and it turned into my All Time Favorite Game. Still is. I freaking LOVE that game. And I play the sucker on the hardest level! Woot, good times! :lol:

X-Com didn't appeal to me at the time, and you're the first person on a non-gaming board that has ever heard of JA2! A friend turned me on to JA2 (and all the great "mods" made by fans) and it turned into my All Time Favorite Game. Still is. I freaking LOVE that game. And I play the sucker on the hardest level! Woot, good times! :lol:

Any game with a setting called "Tons 'O Guns" is going to be great.

Name some better than Half Life, that does not include Half Life 2.

I easily would put oblivion and fallout 3 in that category. Others that spring to mind: Bioshock, gears of war, metal gear solid 4. I'm not a huge gamer any more these days, I was a much bigger gamer back in the half-life era. But I have the perspective to realize that today's games are better, period.

baldur's gate and deus ex - 2 of my favorites.

I easily would put oblivion and fallout 3 in that category. Others that spring to mind: Bioshock, gears of war, metal gear solid 4. I'm not a huge gamer any more these days, I was a much bigger gamer back in the half-life era. But I have the perspective to realize that today's games are better, period.

Different genres making it hard to rate. Pure FPS's, Half Life series I cannot think of any better.

Edit: I also consider Daggerfall and Morrowwind better than Oblivion(by a lot) and Fallout 1,2 and Tactics all vastly superior to Fallout 3. The later games all look much better, but I take gameplay over looks any day.

Last edited:
Different genres making it hard to rate. Pure FPS's, Half Life series I cannot think of any better.

Edit: I also consider Daggerfall and Morrowwind better than Oblivion(by a lot) and Fallout 1,2 and Tactics all vastly superior to Fallout 3. The later games all look much better, but I take gameplay over looks any day.

I don't buy this though. How do you consider the gameplay of fallout 2 to be better than fallout 3? Fallout 3 is a superior game on pretty much every level, not just graphics.

Morrowind is by far the best of TES series.

No doubt, FAllout 1 & 2 were better than Fallout 3, by far. I absolutely loved Fallout 2. Was pleasantly surprised by Fallout 3. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. It was meh overall. I only played it once. I've played Baldurs Gate 2 over two dozen times, Gothic 3 at least six times, Morrowind more than a dozen, and Oblivion about 6. I get USE out of the games I do buy, but I'm hella picky. :)

See, the BioWare solution is the one I hate. I hated Dragon Age for example, because all the slow cut scenes with every bit of dialog spoken took me out of the aspect I was most interested in, playing the game. It is very possible to have complex story without all the cutscenes and long dialog sections...look at Half Life 1 and 2 as a good example.

It's not just a question of a complex story, and indeed, not all Bioware plots are conceptually elaborate (introduction, and then, gather your allies and fight the evil). However, the cut scenes and dialog add depth to the world and characters, which matters, because an important aspect of Bioware games is politics and interpersonal relationships. Something of a fusion between a dating sim (though most relationships aren't romantic, and those that are are optional) and RPGs/Dungeon Crawlers. Developing your relationships (and the moral character of your PC) is part of the gameplay.

The relationships have to be complex because that heightens the entertainment value of being a master networker. Making friends and enemies in Morrowwind isn't as dramatic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom