• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Elden Ring

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
FromSoftware Inc.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and now Elden Ring. Closed Beta started today. Hype is at 11. This is not a Fallout situation.

"Best game of the SoulsBorne series"
"Game of the year 2022"
"One of the best games I've ever played"

That's what youtube reviews are saying. I haven't found a negative word.

George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones) wrote the story line.

Release is scheduled Feb.

ps. If anyone plays DS3 on PS4/5, feel free to start a Conversation (that's what PMs are called now, right) and I'll be happy to hook you up, help you out or whup your ass, your choice.

i saw it, and i thought it was just an expensive LOTR knock off.

As a geezer gamer I'm just finishing up DS3 rolling into it right after DS1 and DS2. Single playthroughs of each. Currently in The Ringed City and last last night literally dropped off the long fall into the boss arena for the double demon fight just below the swampy poison area. Took a look around and said "Oh hell no, not right now" and homeward boned back out. My Ashen One is in the soul level 140 range on a dex build with a sharp Uchigatana+10 (with Carthus Flame Arc buff when needed) as my main weapon and fire and lightening Lotheric Swords as alternates. After that the Lord of Cinder is pretty much the only thing left. In truth not looking forward to the upcoming boss fights as I'm not very good.

Got into the souls games because I found myself using very similar profiles in action RPGs as sneaky sniper glass cannons that hit like truck from range. I sucked up close and personal in melee combat. So I decided to play Dark Souls series with the personal limitation of NOT being that ranged glass cannon and to push myself into an area I wasn't comfortable with. Loved it. Although I allow myself a bow mostly to agro and pull enemies for (a) single combat and (b) to control the location of a fight so when I died I'd be able to get my souls back. I have to admit though that if I make 10 runs at a boss and get no where, I will call in a sun bro for help. LOL INT and FAITH are still at 10, no magic to speak of.

Not much for online, but I have placed my summon sign a few times, mostly sit there for awhile and nothing happens. But have gotten summoned to help a couple of times and that was really fun to kind of give back to those that had helped me. I think that because I'm playing so many years after release there are just fewer people online, which makes sense. Typically PvP invaders are so much more skilled than I they kick my ass, so when I do get invaded my first goal is to run to location with good dodge space and where I can recover my souls. It will be interesting to see the online summoning in Elden Ring with a new and vibrant community all playing a new releases. It should be wild.

Really pumped for the upcoming Elden Ring release and pre-order is on my Christmas list (and I have never pre-ordered a game in my life). Been keeping an eye on the Fextralife and FightingCowboy channels and the videos so far seem really solid. I understand it's built on basically the same engine as Dark Souls 3, which causes me some concern. Not sure why but I have a problem were every few minutes I get this "stuttering" in the game where it's not reacting to inputs for a few seconds and then returns to normal for awhile. Don't know if it's the game or something with my hardware (i7 Processor with a GTX 1080TI GPU). Really hoping this isn't the case with Elden Ring.

i saw it, and i thought it was just an expensive LOTR knock off.

DS3 is the best melee pvp game ever made. Not sure how the series or Elden Ring relate to LOTR beyond being in the same genre and having Ring in the title.

Been keeping an eye on the Fextralife and FightingCowboy channels and the videos so far seem really solid. I understand it's built on basically the same engine as Dark Souls 3, which causes me some concern. Not sure why but I have a problem were every few minutes I get this "stuttering" in the game where it's not reacting to inputs for a few seconds and then returns to normal for awhile. Don't know if it's the game or something with my hardware (i7 Processor with a GTX 1080TI GPU). Really hoping this isn't the case with Elden Ring.

I watch Chasethebro and Jeenine for Darksouls and Elden Ring. Souls 1, 2 and 3 are on sale ps4 this month. First gen ps4 test of Elden Ring (CNT) was fine; slightly longer load times compared to ps5 (there's a youtube vid).

I finished the game (one ending) and have been pvp for weeks.

This game is just amazing. I loved Bloodborne and especially DS3. My favorite of the series is Sekiro. Elden Ring seems a bit easier than those previous titles, but still an amazing game. The kind that comes along once every 10 years.

This game is just amazing. I loved Bloodborne and especially DS3. My favorite of the series is Sekiro. Elden Ring seems a bit easier than those previous titles, but still an amazing game. The kind that comes along once every 10 years.
If elden ring is easier you did not go far enough, try fighting melania, no not melania trump, but melania the boss, she can do something absurd like 40 chain combo attacks with almost zero break inbetween, and manages to lose her clothes in the second phase only to reveal she has a rotten crotch from hell!!! (seriously anyone who fought her gets the reference)

But the game seems to have some easy ways to win, but overall I rate this as far more difficult than ds3 yet easier, as the game has bosses to complete the story but also has many optional bosses that make the nameless king in ds3 look like ma cakewalk.

If elden ring is easier you did not go far enough, try fighting melania, no not melania trump, but melania the boss, she can do something absurd like 40 chain combo attacks with almost zero break inbetween, and manages to lose her clothes in the second phase only to reveal she has a rotten crotch from hell!!! (seriously anyone who fought her gets the reference)

But the game seems to have some easy ways to win, but overall I rate this as far more difficult than ds3 yet easier, as the game has bosses to complete the story but also has many optional bosses that make the nameless king in ds3 look like ma cakewalk.

Did you find it easier than the Sekiro bosses? Those were the hardest IMO - and the most fun!

Did you find it easier than the Sekiro bosses? Those were the hardest IMO - and the most fun!
I never played sekiro, but I played ds3 which had ds1 reaction times for players but near sekiro reaction times for enemies.

If you found elden ring harder, likely you were more geared to the first two dark souls games in playstyle, as in ds1 and ds2 turtling tanking and magic were highly viable, in ds3 magic got a big nerf and fast dodge rolling like a crackhead trying to bugs he thought he saw after not sleeping for two weeks was the name of the game.

Elden ring still uses dodge rolling but brought back turtling, something that was big in the first dark souls game up until the dlc when you realize dodging was needed for artorias. I found bosses to be more difficult for some, but other bosses in elden ring easy, like for example maliketh, I just used the stone finger shield and tanked him and shrugged everything off, melania I exploited swarm of flies incantation as it stun locks her and gives bleed damage.

For many earlier bosses I just used a zweihander and stun locked the bosses. This is different from say ds3 where people endlessly died to the dancer even though the dancer was super easy even at low level, just follow the left leg and dodge roll attacks.

I'm about 20% into the game or so. It's pretty easy so far, compared to all other souls games, and I don't use summons or any other crap for bosses.
Amazing game, though. Lots of fun with great graphics and fun enemies. Maybe it gets harder later on.

Just a bump to say I told you so.

Just a bump to say I told you so.

Definitely on my X-Mas list for this year now that it's been out and some of the bugs are worked out. Will be keeping an eye on Steam for a fall or winter sale.

Currently paying Sekiro on my first playthrough and really enjoying it. Was really worried about the deflect mechanic and not having a shield because - well to put it kindly - I ssuucckkeedd at parrying in the DS games. Actually it's not that bad as the deflect window seems (to me) to be a little more forgiving then the DS games.

WW

Definitely on my X-Mas list for this year now that it's been out and some of the bugs are worked out. Will be keeping an eye on Steam for a fall or winter sale.

Currently paying Sekiro on my first playthrough and really enjoying it. Was really worried about the deflect mechanic and not having a shield because - well to put it kindly - I ssuucckkeedd at parrying in the DS games. Actually it's not that bad as the deflect window seems (to me) to be a little more forgiving then the DS games.

WW

DS3 parrying is a gamble with too many downsides. It is only good vs twin swords, obvious spam and other specific situations. It's pretty easy to parry in DS2, even with a rapier.

It's easier to parry in Elden Ring than in DS3. I use a knife for parrying (and pulley crossbow for finishing and effect application) in left hand. Right hand is Grave Scythe cold BHStep. Tree crucible armor. Talismans: poise, anti-blood, turtle (stam regen) and optional (generally mirror to look good while invading). The only difference I see in BHS since patch 1.06 is I can no longer catch a spam roll with it; I don't use it defensively.

Last edited:
Haven't bought it yet. But if it's like other DS game I already know one thing I wish the developers had put in.

I call it an "Equipage" option. Basically you would be able to create a "Pre-loadout" of all armor, weapons, and quick menu items (for ER this would include any other types of slots you would equip - spells, talismans, etc.).

Basically you would have either a fixed number of Equipage Profiles or 1:N number of profiles. Instead of having to manually switch each item for specific situations, you just select the optional pre-built loadout from your equipage profile.

WW

Free DLC.
Have not got it to download yet, my steam deck got froze downloading it, so I started a fresh instal as it seems to be a steam ting I noticed for years where sometimes updates even as small as 10 mb take days to install, but i can uninstall the game and start from scratch much faster than just updating.

Seemslike an issue steam should have adressed years ago, but since it seems to be dependent on game and hardware and not across the board for all users steam never bothered with resources to fix it.

Haven't bought it yet. But if it's like other DS game I already know one thing I wish the developers had put in.

I call it an "Equipage" option. Basically you would be able to create a "Pre-loadout" of all armor, weapons, and quick menu items (for ER this would include any other types of slots you would equip - spells, talismans, etc.).

Basically you would have either a fixed number of Equipage Profiles or 1:N number of profiles. Instead of having to manually switch each item for specific situations, you just select the optional pre-built loadout from your equipage profile.

WW
Has no such thing you wish, instead you just grind to get everything, make your builds, then get bored and go into pvp where your pve ends up being gearing up meme builds for pvp, like a wolverine build, deadpool build, or like my character trump meme in all gold and holy spells, even managed to get the spray on tan close to the real deal.

This seems to be the real fun in the game, not just how much you can beat people in player versus player, but how absolutely rediculous your character can be and still pull it off.

Has no such thing you wish, instead you just grind to get everything, make your builds, then get bored and go into pvp where your pve ends up being gearing up meme builds for pvp, like a wolverine build, deadpool build, or like my character trump meme in all gold and holy spells, even managed to get the spray on tan close to the real deal.

This seems to be the real fun in the game, not just how much you can beat people in player versus player, but how absolutely rediculous your character can be and still pull it off.

To be fair to Elden Ring (and Souls games), there's really no grind. Enemies drop gear in just a few tries and upgrades are minimal. It's a skill based game, not a grind based game; pros can finish it without upgrading character or gear. Also, everything can be dropped to someone via upload/download.

WW

We're allowed 10 characters. I have level 1, 20, 40, 40 (different build), 60, 80, 80 (different build), 106, 106 (different build), 140. Main build is Grave Scythe and Pulley Crossbow. Invasion build for fighting multiple over-leveled phantoms is dual Vykes. The dual Vykes is pretty awful for dueling but shines in a chaos environment. I've been a Souls/Elden invader for awhile. To create a character, I have a someone drop me everything and then I open the necessary areas.

We're allowed 10 characters. I have level 1, 20, 40, 40 (different build), 60, 80, 80 (different build), 106, 106 (different build), 140. Main build is Grave Scythe and Pulley Crossbow. Invasion build for fighting multiple over-leveled phantoms is dual Vykes. The dual Vykes is pretty awful for dueling but shines in a chaos environment. I've been a Souls/Elden invader for awhile. To create a character, I have a someone drop me everything and then I open the necessary areas.

Understood. But those are separate game files you are playing for different reasons.

I'd like to see an Equipage (i.e. Load Out) option for a single character.

WW

Understood. But those are separate game files you are playing for different reasons.

I'd like to see an Equipage (i.e. Load Out) option for a single character.

WW

I get what you mean but 10 characters, each separate, is the best we can do with Elden. As everything can be dropped, it doesn't take long to complete a new build. Mine are different levels to invade different places.

FromSoftware Inc.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and now Elden Ring. Closed Beta started today. Hype is at 11. This is not a Fallout situation.

"Best game of the SoulsBorne series"
"Game of the year 2022"
"One of the best games I've ever played"

That's what youtube reviews are saying. I haven't found a negative word.

George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones) wrote the story line.

Release is scheduled Feb.

You'll find no negatives from me. Elden Ring is one of the best games I have played in years in terms of its challenge, its art style, it storyline, and its lore. My wife and I have played it a couple hours nearly every night for the past two weeks after we put the kids to bed. It inspires me and makes me want to run more Old School Dungeons & Dragons for my friends. You clearly have a lot more experience with Souls games than I do (this is my first). But my Level 39 Vagabond Knight with a two handed Bloodhound's Fang has been doing just fine for me thus far. But I do want to try out a magic build.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom