• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eisenhower's death camps (million Germans captured by the armies of Eisenhower, died)

Re: Eisenhower's death camps (million Germans captured by the armies of Eisenhower, d

Quite balanced responses Sand. Kudos for that.
Was wondering about the perspective. Do you think the Deutch, some of whom did not commit atrocities, were punished in those camps for those 5 months?

That's a good question actually. As I already explained, you can't simply explain the conditions in the Rheinwiesenlager with a lack of resources, they were wilfully created. I don't know whether it was an official part of American policy to actually create such conditions or whether it was smaller units that ran the camps more or less independently.

I guess two issues mainly played a role. Firstly, this is simply what happens when you give people limitless power over others. Since the prisoners were stripped of their POW status and renamed "disarmed enemy forces", they had no rights whatsoever. Then of course, just about every American soldier had lost comrades in the war. So there was a spirit of revenge. And that spirit of revenge may have been gilded with a coat of righteousness as the horrors from the death camps became known. After all, the prisoners were German, just like the concentration camp guards.

I'd see the nazi crimes (and the idea of collective punishment) more as a way in which the soldiers justified their own action (the same way Wiggen still tries to justify it today), not as the actual reason. But I wasn't there so I can only speculate.

Re: Eisenhower's death camps (million Germans captured by the armies of Eisenhower, d

That's a good question actually. As I already explained, you can't simply explain the conditions in the Rheinwiesenlager with a lack of resources, they were wilfully created. I don't know whether it was an official part of American policy to actually create such conditions or whether it was smaller units that ran the camps more or less independently.

I guess two issues mainly played a role. Firstly, this is simply what happens when you give people limitless power over others. Since the prisoners were stripped of their POW status and renamed "disarmed enemy forces", they had no rights whatsoever. Then of course, just about every American soldier had lost comrades in the war. So there was a spirit of revenge. And that spirit of revenge may have been gilded with a coat of righteousness as the horrors from the death camps became known. After all, the prisoners were German, just like the concentration camp guards.

I'd see the nazi crimes (and the idea of collective punishment) more as a way in which the soldiers justified their own action (the same way Wiggen still tries to justify it today), not as the actual reason. But I wasn't there so I can only speculate.

This is what you reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW8yedEVmxg

Then some guards might be Israelites whom were most damaged from that war. Either that or they knew, had strong ties with Israelites might be a good guess to explain for it.

As far as I know RT shows in the west. In Russia and the United States write and TV is not often. They say only political news narovne with China, Germany, France .... About Syria say more. Dardania - I do not know. I know - Serbia. The rest of you better learn off RT

Okay then, any particular good ones about Syria?

South to Serbia is Dardania. But you call it your own way for some reason.

This is what you reminded me of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW8yedEVmxg
Then some guards might be Israelites whom were most damaged from that war. Either that or they knew, had strong ties with Israelites might be a good guess to explain for it.

Not sure about that point. I think it has more to do with how war brutalizes people. And after all, if you fight an enemy army and lose many of your comrades, a lot of hate and wish for revenge may build up. Also you have to consider that being a prison camp guard puts you in a position of power, and that brings out the worst in some people. There was that famous experiment where the participants were assigned roles of prison guards and inmates and it resulted in horrible abuse rather quickly. You can think of this sort of prison camp as a real life version of that. So, I get your point but I don't think it has that much to do with any of the guards being Jewish.

Not sure about that point. I think it has more to do with how war brutalizes people. And after all, if you fight an enemy army and lose many of your comrades, a lot of hate and wish for revenge may build up. Also you have to consider that being a prison camp guard puts you in a position of power, and that brings out the worst in some people. There was that famous experiment where the participants were assigned roles of prison guards and inmates and it resulted in horrible abuse rather quickly. You can think of this sort of prison camp as a real life version of that. So, I get your point but I don't think it has that much to do with any of the guards being Jewish.

I know, it is the Stanford Prison Experiment:

IPL2

Back
Top Bottom