• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eisenhower Explains About General Lee (1957)

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is short. General Eisenhower/President Eisenhower says he has the 4 photos on his wall of this nation's most important men.

See who he names as Great.

I will confess. It is Robert E. Lee.

Democrats brag they liked Eisenhower. That is the biggest sack of horse poop on this planet. I was then a Democrat and we hated Eisenhower.

But Ike defended Robert E. Lee.

What about that?

This is short. General Eisenhower/President Eisenhower says he has the 4 photos on his wall of this nation's most important men.

Democrats brag they liked Eisenhower. That is the biggest sack of horse poop on this planet. I was then a Democrat and we hated Eisenhower.

What about that?

Thank you for this. I would have gone to my grave having great respect for Dwight Eisenhower but having seen this clip you posted I have changed my opinion. It appears Eisenhower missed the history class at West Point when the treason of the Confederates at waging war against the USA was taught.

Thank you for this. I would have gone to my grave having great respect for Dwight Eisenhower but having seen this clip you posted I have changed my opinion. It appears Eisenhower missed the history class at West Point when the treason of the Confederates at waging war against the USA was taught.

You also have to remember that Robert E. Lee was so highly regarded that he was offered command of the UNION Army.

And that he graduated from West Point with ZERO demerits (many graduates accumulate HUNDREDS).

You also have to remember that Robert E. Lee was so highly regarded that he was offered command of the UNION Army.

And that he graduated from West Point with ZERO demerits (many graduates accumulate HUNDREDS).
Oh! I understand that perfectly. He was no doubt a good strategist and able to lead an army with the kind of skill admired by other military men. Had he accepted to fight for his country then he would not have been a traitor. His choice puts him out of the running to be a great American given so much American blood on his hands.

Times were different back in '57

Don't want to alienate those Southern voters.

Confederate needing 1957.

Anyone understand why?

Confederate needing 1957.

Anyone understand why?

How can you call me a Confederate?
1. I was born and raised in California.
2. Parents were strict non racists.
Yes they were Democrats, just not the same way your relatives of the South are.

Oh! I understand that perfectly. He was no doubt a good strategist and able to lead an army with the kind of skill admired by other military men. Had he accepted to fight for his country then he would not have been a traitor. His choice puts him out of the running to be a great American given so much American blood on his hands.

Lee fought for HIS country. But not Abes country. Huge difference. Lee would be compared to George Washington.

What the Confederates did was not treason. Those of the American Revolutionary War did.

Rather, the Confederates were fighting for an unjust cause. Very unjust and for this the Southern culture has to be smashed, not just the Confederacy defeated. Many Confederates saw Lee's surrender as treason to the Confederacy. That he instead should have withdrawn and fought with insurgent tactics.

^ Petty SJWish.

Lee fought for HIS country. But not Abes country. Huge difference. Lee would be compared to George Washington.
There cannot be one historian who shares your opinion because Robert Lee's country was the USA which he swore to defend before he put in his lot with secessionists who attacked the United States. Whatever way you manipulate your argument, not even the rebels would pretend that they did not attack the USA whose troops fought under the Stars and Stripes. Hearing Dwight Eisenhower say a Confederate general was a great American makes me wonder how he could have equated a professional soldier of the Union Army who participated in years of bloody treason as being among the great after killing 360,222 Union soldiers. But Robert Lee also led misguided 258,000 men and boys who were persuaded to join the forces against their own country. I meant it when I thanked your post because my respect for Eisenhower collapsed which, on the one hand, hurt but I knew it was best to be better informed. Of course, it sickened me. Let it be a reminder to myself that nobody is perfect. I believe, by the way, that Eisenhower could have run as a Democrat and would have won too. His Republican Party was the party of Abe Lincoln who crushed the rebellion and bears no resemblance to the Trump/McConnell Republican Party.

What the Confederates did was not treason. Those of the American Revolutionary War did.

Rather, the Confederates were fighting for an unjust cause. Very unjust and for this the Southern culture has to be smashed, not just the Confederacy defeated. Many Confederates saw Lee's surrender as treason to the Confederacy. That he instead should have withdrawn and fought with insurgent tactics.
You need a dictionary. By definition, to attack one's own country is treason.

There cannot be one historian who shares your opinion because Robert Lee's country was the USA which he swore to defend before he put in his lot with secessionists who attacked the United States. Whatever way you manipulate your argument, not even the rebels would pretend that they did not attack the USA whose troops fought under the Stars and Stripes. Hearing Dwight Eisenhower say a Confederate general was a great American makes me wonder how he could have equated a professional soldier of the Union Army who participated in years of bloody treason as being among the great after killing 360,222 Union soldiers. But Robert Lee also led misguided 258,000 men and boys who were persuaded to join the forces against their own country. I meant it when I thanked your post because my respect for Eisenhower collapsed which, on the one hand, hurt but I knew it was best to be better informed. Of course, it sickened me. Let it be a reminder to myself that nobody is perfect. I believe, by the way, that Eisenhower could have run as a Democrat and would have won too. His Republican Party was the party of Abe Lincoln who crushed the rebellion and bears no resemblance to the Trump/McConnell Republican Party.

Wait one minute.

The powerful fort was hit by what today is called ineffective cannon balls. In fact, Abe attacked the fort and spent most of the war trying to ruin Sumter and the Confederates only spent 34 hrs I believe and nobody was harmed. Abe went to war over a very stout building is all it was.

The worst was next. Abe invaded VA with thousands of his troops who got beaten badly. But Abe is who started the combat phase, not Robert Lee. Lee defended his country but he was not the opening commanding General.Bingo, you called it correct only blame Abe for those massive losses.

i assure you had Abe refused to Invade, the worst that could be said is he refused to invade.

Of course Eisenhower was no Trump. Trump was attacked prior to him taking office and Democrats waged a hell of a war on him from the start. Democrats have done what you accused the South of doing, attacking a lawful president. The Trump Pence Government has achieved many hundreds of good things for our own country.

You need a dictionary. By definition, to attack one's own country is treason.

Wait again. The Confederates voted to either stay or go. And once they voted to go, it was not the same country. Canada is next to the USA, would you want Canada attacked for not wanting to be part of the USA? Anyway, there was no rebellion, all they did was announce they were gone and Abe tormented them at Ft. Sumter so they fired at the fort itself to scare them into leaving. And they took off.

If the South had invaded Maryland, as an example, a state that voted to remain in the union, your case would have a lot of merit. But it was the opposite. From DC and Maryland Abe hurled in combat troops. I showed you about Eisenhower and now please accept my help on who started what.

They did fight for an unjust cause (keeping slavery) but consider that at the time, it was totally lawful in the USA to own slaves. The Confederacy did what should have been done in the late 1700s and set up a country with slaves where it was more than acceptable, it was so normal it was expected and then there was no civil war.

Wait one minute.

The powerful fort was hit by what today is called ineffective cannon balls. In fact, Abe attacked the fort and spent most of the war trying to ruin Sumter and the Confederates only spent 34 hrs I believe and nobody was harmed. Abe went to war over a very stout building is all it was.

The worst was next. Abe invaded VA with thousands of his troops who got beaten badly. But Abe is who started the combat phase, not Robert Lee. Lee defended his country but he was not the opening commanding General.Bingo, you called it correct only blame Abe for those massive losses.

i assure you had Abe refused to Invade, the worst that could be said is he refused to invade.

Of course Eisenhower was no Trump. Trump was attacked prior to him taking office and Democrats waged a hell of a war on him from the start. Democrats have done what you accused the South of doing, attacking a lawful president. The Trump Pence Government has achieved many hundreds of good things for our own country.
You cannot change history. There was a civil war. It was prepared by a decision to secede and the attack on Fort Sumter was the opening shot. The USA was not about to stand by and just watch half the country break away.

You are being simplistic to equate political disagreement with a bloody war. Donald Trump and his profane tweets, his racism and ineptitude has brought criticism but that is not the same as war.

Wait again. The Confederates voted to either stay or go. And once they voted to go, it was not the same country. Canada is next to the USA, would you want Canada attacked for not wanting to be part of the USA? Anyway, there was no rebellion, all they did was announce they were gone and Abe tormented them at Ft. Sumter so they fired at the fort itself to scare them into leaving. And they took off.

If the South had invaded Maryland, as an example, a state that voted to remain in the union, your case would have a lot of merit. But it was the opposite. From DC and Maryland Abe hurled in combat troops. I showed you about Eisenhower and now please accept my help on who started what.
I have to shake my head when I read your posts. People who want to make a new country by force will naturally be considered traitors. The creation of a new country can be negotiated peacefully but this is not easily done and it is not what happened in the USA which itself was born out of rebellion. It is no wonder that Americans did not allow the creation of a slave Confederacy to be carved out of the Union.

You cannot change history. There was a civil war. It was prepared by a decision to secede and the attack on Fort Sumter was the opening shot. The USA was not about to stand by and just watch half the country break away.

You are being simplistic to equate political disagreement with a bloody war. Donald Trump and his profane tweets, his racism and ineptitude has brought criticism but that is not the same as war.

Well all you have in your heart is attack, attack and more.

We will never get anywhere.

I have to shake my head when I read your posts. People who want to make a new country by force will naturally be considered traitors. The creation of a new country can be negotiated peacefully but this is not easily done and it is not what happened in the USA which itself was born out of rebellion. It is no wonder that Americans did not allow the creation of a slave Confederacy to be carved out of the Union.

Today states taking off is vastly different than it was in 1861.

The South was open in holding votes in the states that considered leaving the union. Some voted to stay in the union.

Announcements were made in the US Congress explaining the states voted to leave the union. Abe was not shocked.

What about that?

I bet he defended segregation too. He was also taught the Lost Cause fallacy including the myth of the kindly General Lee no doubt. It was in all the school books. That was lifetimes ago. Everyone was a least a little racist.

The Myth of the Kindly General Lee - The Atlantic

Well all you have in your heart is attack, attack and more.

We will never get anywhere.

Donald Trump does the attacking. The rest of us have to defend ourselves against his divisiveness, keeping children in cages, repatriating the fathers of American schoolchildren to Central America, paramilitary goons gassing peaceful demonstrators in American streets, and seeing the death toll from Covid-19 mount.

Today states taking off is vastly different than it was in 1861.

The South was open in holding votes in the states that considered leaving the union. Some voted to stay in the union.

Announcements were made in the US Congress explaining the states voted to leave the union. Abe was not shocked.
The USA was never open to secession. The European Union, in contrast, lets member states leave peacefully as the British have done.

Many people (including me) like IKE.

I was a teenager in the 1950s. It was the last peaceful decade in our country's history.

Back
Top Bottom