• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eight more, and counting.

Yeah sure. You didn’t know that? Look at the charts:

are you claiming genocidal terror doesn't count? From your own article

To be sure, there are quite a few countries where gun violence is a substantially larger problem than in the United States — particularly in Central America and the Caribbean. Mokdad said a major driver is the large presence of gangs and drug trafficking. "The gangs and drug traffickers fight among themselves to get more territory, and they fight the police," Mokdad said. And citizens who are not involved are often caught in the crossfire.

you claimed the rest of the world-not just a few countries that were cherry picked.

are you claiming genocidal terror doesn't count?

I guess you would then have to skip all modern developed nations and start comparing us to some active war zones and failed states.

I guess you would then have to skip all modern developed nations and start comparing us to some active war zones and failed states.
REST OF THE WORLD is not limited to the eight countries that the study wanted to compare the USA to

REST OF THE WORLD is not limited to the eight countries that the study wanted to compare the USA to

OK, so I guess if you want to compare us to active war zones and failed states actively committing genocidal terror on their populations, we might compare a little more favorably. That proves our guns make us safer. Yay! You win!

Last edited:
lots of women like competing with firearms. some of them realize it is an area where they are not disadvantaged compared to men. At one time, there were cultural barriers to women owning guns and knowing how to use them. Sure, some are worried-especially since more and more adult women live alone and unmarried-that they need to be responsible for their own protection. I get a fair amount of lesbians as well. my first female student (that I can recall) was a young lady whose father knew my father and told her to seek me out. She had lived in Cleveland after graduating from a top small school in the state and while in Cleveland, she was the victim of a violent rape. She testified against the pig and he was convicted. She moved to Cincinnati (where her parents were from-they were living in Columbus at the time) and worked in real-estate. The mope was released after 4-5 years and made comments about finding her. Her dad bought her a gun and gave her 500 rounds a month, and paid for her membership at the range where I teach. while Ohio did not offer CCW permits at the time, the county sheriff and the city Chief of police both told her that she would be prudent to carry while showing houses. So she did and I taught her for several years. She married about 20 years ago and has a CCW permit and is an active member of two gun clubs. I believe her attacker was re-arrested for something else and is now back in prison but its been 5 years since I checked.

TurtleDude:

The question I asked was about trends, not individual motivations (although each story is interesting as it humanises the issue). What are the motivations of your students expressed as trends? Is hobby enthusiasm the top tier motivator or is fear and seeking training to allay that fear the top tier motivator? Are there other powerful motivators st work which are causing desire-trends in your students? I'm not looking for a metric break down, just a qualitative expression of what you have sussed out as a hierarchy of trends.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

I attended Catholic schools for eleven years. You're dreaming. There has always been sex outside marriage. We can't get priests to stay away from little boys.

It's fine to preach abstinence but teach birth control as well. You have to teach girls it's fine to say no. Teach boys no means NO! Take away the stigma from buying condoms at the drugstore. The problem must be attacked on all fronts to make a difference.
Condoms is a big part of the problem. They degrade women, and cause them to be treated as objects; not worth committing to in a relationship. Your potshot at priests tells me you were never a serious Catholic.

Condoms is a big part of the problem. They degrade women, and cause them to be treated as objects; not worth committing to in a relationship. Your potshot at priests tells me you were never a serious Catholic.
WOW.....just WOW.

I guess you are telling me that I should tell my female friends that unless their sexual desires are entirely motivated by child bearing instincts they are illicit. I seriously doubt they will let me survive such an assault on their freedoms. Inciting a group of angry women to stomp the shit out of me does not sound like a great idea. So I think I will decline to advance the idea to them.

If a middle aged housewife like Nancy Lanza were not permitted to amass an arsenal of deadly weapons in her home, they would never have been in the home to begin with to be "stolen" by her freak of a kid.
See....the "stolen" guns always start out as legal guns at some point.

Nancy Lanza, middle aged housewife and prepper, with a deranged lunatic of a kid in the basement with an arsenal of mass murder machines. What could go wrong?

BAN. THEM. ALL.

(crime will fall)
Yes, and while mass shootings are bad—nobody disagrees with that—the worst part of American gun culture is the way it shapes our society. Many gun enthusiasts are safety minded adults, who follow the laws. Fine. But firearms and ammunition are big business, and the way our country practices capitalism requires that a company keep “interest” up in order to increase market share. We end up with a culture where a fair number of people who own guns should not. These people, whether they get ideas from movies or TV, or Facebook, or music culture or any other place, do not, and will not, follow laws or even proper gun safety. Having guns available like we do makes it impossible for law enforcement to tell the bad or dumb or careless gun owners from the rest, and maintains a kind of implied threat in our country, that if lifted would change a lot of things. If firearms were mostly illegal like in England or Australia, this implied threat would disappear over time. And yes, criminals would still have guns for a while. But the difference would be that they could be busted for just having an illegal firearm, instead of having to wait until they used it in a crime.

Yes, and while mass shootings are bad—nobody disagrees with that—the worst part of American gun culture is the way it shapes our society. Many gun enthusiasts are safety minded adults, who follow the laws. Fine. But firearms and ammunition are big business, and the way our country practices capitalism requires that a company keep “interest” up in order to increase market share. We end up with a culture where a fair number of people who own guns should not. These people, whether they get ideas from movies or TV, or Facebook, or music culture or any other place, do not, and will not, follow laws or even proper gun safety. Having guns available like we do makes it impossible for law enforcement to tell the bad or dumb or careless gun owners from the rest, and maintains a kind of implied threat in our country, that if lifted would change a lot of things. If firearms were mostly illegal like in England or Australia, this implied threat would disappear over time. And yes, criminals would still have guns for a while. But the difference would be that they could be busted for just having an illegal firearm, instead of having to wait until they used it in a crime.

Preach Brother Brian! Oh LAWDY yes!!!!!

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Preach Brother Brian! Oh LAWDY yes!!!!!

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
The thing I don’t have a problem with is farmers having a gun, or people in rural environments where you might run into a bear or other dangerous animal. Guns can be legitimate tools in these cases. I also don’t have a problem with competitive or professional shooters owning guns. These circumstances are where moderate “gun control” can be useful. Same goes for hunters. People could apply for a license, and we could work out laws and regulations according to practical need.

If someone plans on dying, what law is going to stop him? especially laws that criminalize currently legal behavior that harms no one
I guess you're missing a point here. If someone is loony enough to want to kill themselves, then we cant really stop them, agreed. What we can do is remove as many of the tools available to them to kill innocent people. It really is pretty simple.

If everyone and their brother, their cousin, their daddy and their best friend did not own firearms, then your reasoning for self defense would go away. One action solves two problems. I have never been a big fan of guns, but really never cared too much about gun owners. Unfortunately, it has gotten to far out of control in the US for comfort now.

The meaning and intent of the 2nd has evolved as much as the country and citizens it was supposed to protect. Forget the Militia and protections from overthrow against said government; any confrontation with police or military is absurd - it would truly be taking a cap-gun to a gun fight we would be so badly out firearmed and PPD'd it wouldn't even be funny.

Today, guns are only useful for protection from other citizens (criminals, disgruntled family, or lunatics), and that is only if the shootin' iron is within reach, and the perp doesn't shoot you for trying to grab it. Should you be armed when approached by the police, them even seeing it, even if you don't give any indication you are going to use it on them, you may going in a pine box.

If Americans were not brought up with guns so front and center, and brand new gun laws (or Constitutional amendments) were being enacted for the first time today, the laws would be totally vastly different than what it has today. Considering the firehose indoctrination every American goes through growing up with toy guns media programs, and adulthood - try and find a show, movie or story completely gun free - its no wonder we are convinced we are dependent on our beloved bang-sticks.

The abundance of guns is the main reason there are not more and better personal protection devices that incompacitate instead of kill; minimal demand and low volume/profit potential. Severe penalties for gun crimes do not work, because when someone chooses to incorporate a gun into a crime or activity, they are not thinking about the sentence when they are in the mental state of making another human being eat lead.

Its time for a major realignment with society and guns. Even a cell phone, or a body or vehicle camera is a greater deterrent to crime - hard to argue with, or defend against a video of someone shooting someone else; cop, criminal, victim, or accidentally.

At some point the question needs to be asked......why is the US such a violent country? If you think it's mental illness, then why are American nuts more violent than other countries nuts........or why are there more nuts? Something is wrong.

WOW.....just WOW.

I guess you are telling me that I should tell my female friends that unless their sexual desires are entirely motivated by child bearing instincts they are illicit. I seriously doubt they will let me survive such an assault on their freedoms. Inciting a group of angry women to stomp the shit out of me does not sound like a great idea. So I think I will decline to advance the idea to them.
I never said that. Sex is only licit within marriage. I think most women would be good with that. It helps them.

I never said that. Sex is only licit within marriage. I think most women would be good with that. It helps them
Does that go for men too?

People have snapped their twigs. That's what this is about.

COVID has kept people, from kids to the elderly, locked up. From fear to being isolated to having one's routine FUBARed. After awhile, that screws up the attic wiring.

I remember from the 2004 (?) Dawn of the Dead remake, on the DVD there was an "extra" that consisted of a news broadcast about the slow spread of the zombie outbreak. The news anchor was interviewing a shrink who also was book-peddling (titled "U.S.ABomb") about how "these people don't have some hoodoo voodoo disease. This is a result of a pent-up rage. It's the 'snapped postal worker' on a national level." (something like that).

I think we're seeing that here. The riots last year. The riots so far this year. The mass shootings this year. Not to mention the overdoses & suicides that have increased.

Again, we wake up to news of a shooting, this time at a FedEx location. There are enough deaths to rate mention on some of the news outlets. What will not be noted by most is that these 8 deaths are unusual in that they occurred all at once in one location. It usually takes two whole hours for 8 Americans to die of gunshot during any part of an average day. 8 more die in the following two hours, 8 more after that, and on through the day and week and month and year.

Each death by gunshot, each and every one, is testimony to the fact that our existing laws and their enforcement were not able to prevent the death.

Each major shooting is testimony to the fact that the prayers and condolences of our legislators, if they still bother to give them, do not stay the hand of the next shooter.

8 every hour.

Regards, stay safe 'n well ... 'n un-shot.
About that many die in auto accidents every hour. Existing laws and enforcement are not preventing those deaths either.

About that many die in auto accidents every hour. Existing laws and enforcement are not preventing those deaths either.
You can’t count the deaths that didn’t happen because of safety standards/regulations in the auto industry. You can only count the ones that do. If guns were generally illegal like in England or Australia the gun deaths after a bit would drop to almost none.

You can’t count the deaths that didn’t happen because of safety standards/regulations in the auto industry. You can only count the ones that do. If guns were generally illegal like in England or Australia the gun deaths after a bit would drop to almost none.
I didn't. I only counted the deaths that do happen.

I didn't. I only counted the deaths that do happen.
Yes, that was my point. You don’t know how many people didn’t die because of regulation in the auto industry. Simply saying more people die in auto accidents than from guns is meaningless. If you got rid of guns and gun death, that would be less deaths overall.

How did this nutjob get a gun? Bought it from a buddie, maybe?
Yeah, see, if guns weren’t available at all really, this whole thing could have been avoided. The guy would’ve still been crazy, but the cop wouldn’t have to have shot him.

Back
Top Bottom