• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EgyptAir Flight MS804 Disappears en Route From Paris to Cairo

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Might be foul play/terrorism, or maybe mechanical.
Plane was at 37,000' and no mechanical issues reported.
EgyptAir had financial issues and pilot dispute.
Air and Sea search started by Egypt Military.

EgyptAir Flight MS804 Disappears en Route From Paris to Cairo - WSJ
Flight MS804 vanished from radar, the airline said via Twitter
By JON OSTROWER
Updated May 19, 2016 12:48 a.m. ET

EgyptAir said that one of its aircraft disappeared early Thursday while flying from Paris to Cairo with 66 people aboard.

The Egyptian flag carrier said Flight MS804, which departed Paris at 11:09 p.m. local time, “disappeared from radar” at 2:45 a.m. Cairo time Thursday while at 37,000 feet, according to tweets on the airline’s verified Twitter account.

The Airbus A320, with 56 passengers, including one child and two infants, in addition to three security personnel and seven crew, was last spotted over the Mediterranean Sea en route to Cairo, according to flight-tracking websites.

The airline said that a search and rescue operation was under way. The jet disappeared 10 miles inside Egyptian airspace, which has its northern border in the middle of the Mediterranean, the airline said, one of the planet’s busiest air corridors connecting Europe and the Middle East.

EgyptAir said its A320, which is configured to seat 145, was built in 2003. The pilot has 6,275 flying hours, including 2,101 on the A320, and the first officer has 2,766 flying hours, according to the airline.

The incident would be the second major air disaster in Egypt since October, when an Airbus A321 operated by Russian carrier Metrojet crashed in Sinai killing all 224 aboard. U.S. and U.K. authorities have said a terror attack likely downed the jet while it was flying from Sharm El Sheikh to St. Petersburg in Russia.
Islamic State’s Egyptian affiliate in Sinai Province later claimed responsibility for the crash.
[......]

And CNN with Vid.
EgyptAir Flight 804: Plane disappears - CNN.com

BBC
EgyptAir Flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo 'disappears from radar' - BBC News

Last edited:
As always, we know very little. I flew Egypt Air a few times (777, A321, A340), they are not a highly regarded airline in terms of quality maintenance.

As always, we know very little. I flew Egypt Air a few times (777, A321, A340), they are not a highly regarded airline in terms of quality maintenance.

Is that what they tell all the customers? Or did you hear that on television like the rest of us?

Is that what they tell all the customers? Or did you hear that on television like the rest of us?

14 years in the airline biz, plus I keep up with the business every day, on several airline boards, I've flown dozens of airlines in far flung places, and I'm a huge aviation geek.

Plus, I still have flight bennies, and fly a lot for fun. I also know the places to go on the internet that are full of airline employees talking about what is going on.

14 years in the airline biz, plus I keep up with the business every day, on several airline boards, I've flown dozens of airlines in far flung places, and I'm a huge aviation geek.

Plus, I still have flight bennies, and fly a lot for fun. I also know the places to go on the internet that are full of airline employees talking about what is going on.

Had no idea.

Plane is SU-GGG built in 2003. Plane did the following route today: ASM-CAI-TUN-CAI-CDG-CAI a bit worried about the Tunis stop...

Just don't take anything that the twit Mary Schiavo says...she has a very bad rep, she is a sensationalistic idiot.

Last edited:
Interesting that most passengers were Egyptian, but France had the second highest number of passengers on board. Certainly keeps the idea of terrorism in my mind, especially considering the reports that some witnesses saw a ball of fire as the plane descended.

Pray for the best but expect the worst.

Plane crash near Greek Island of Karpathos according to France 24 and Greek Civil Aviation Authorities.

EgyptAir Flight 804 Disappears Over Mediterranean

From the NY Times:

CAIRO — An EgyptAir passenger jet that took off from Paris with 66 people on board suddenly disappeared over the Aegean Sea on Thursday morning, shortly before it was due to land in Cairo.

As Egyptian and Greek authorities mounted a search-and-rescue operation focused around the island of Karpathos, President François Hollande of France confirmed that the plane had crashed and acknowledged that “the terrorist hypothesis” was one of several that investigators were looking into. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/20/w...e-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

One hypothesis is terrorism. Again. EgyptAir flight MS804 crash: Plane 'fell 22,000 feet, spun sharply, then disappeared' - French and Greek officials examine if Paris-Cairo flight was subject of terror attack

Re: EgyptAir Flight 804 Disappears Over Mediterranean

And once again, another airplane just disappears.

It's probably the Illuminati. [emoji48] [emoji48] [emoji48]

And Once again, another airplane just disappears.

It's probably the Illuminati. [emoji48] [emoji48] [emoji48]

Nah it's probably the Reptile People. Or, like, aliens or something :mrgreen:

It's a little early to be making light of this tragedy.

Unfortunately and as with other flights that "disappeared," we have almost nothing to go on. CNN is reporting that that plane "swerved and then plunged" before dropping off radar, and without any other information it can be for just about any reason.

All we can do is wish well for the families and friends of the 66 lost, and wait for additional information.

Missing EgyptAir Flight 804: Plane disappears - CNN.com

Unfortunately and as with other flights that "disappeared," we have almost nothing to go on. CNN is reporting that that plane "swerved and then plunged" before dropping off radar, and without any other information it can be for just about any reason.

All we can do is wish well for the families and friends of the 66 lost, and wait for additional information.

Missing EgyptAir Flight 804: Plane disappears - CNN.com
The last place I'm going for "missing airplane" coverage is CNN.

Go to the Drudge Report's homepage, scroll down through the left-side menu of sources, and take your pick of national and international sources: DRUDGE REPORT 2016®

Of course the first place my mind went was terrorism, especially considering the location and departure/arrival points, but that's not confirmed.

Is it bad that I was not shocked one bit when I first heard the news? I guess I'm becoming desensitized.

Unfortunately, CNN like many others will engage in some speculation but doing a quick google search on this news story it appears they are *all* starting to speculate on what happened. There are over 1500 articles on this subject right now and most (on glance) seem to have updates in the last hour. They are all seemingly starting to talk about who was on the plane (in the country of origin sense,) and speculating on why the plane would go down in such an erratic manner.

This sort of coverage is bound to cause problems.

Ciy7DKIWEAA4JM1.jpg

Flightradar24 last recorded point of contact with EgyptAir #MS804 is 33.6757, 28.7924 at 36,975 feet

Ciy7DKIWEAA4JM1.jpg

Flightradar24 last recorded point of contact with EgyptAir #MS804 is 33.6757, 28.7924 at 36,975 feet

Back
Top Bottom