• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Egypt prime example of why people wil not put up with zealots.

Hmm... Obama touts the Muslim Brotherhood and was happy with Morsi and the MB as tyrants to Egyptians. Seems BO has pulled his horns in for the time being, but he'll be back touting this Jihadist and brutal group.

So what could have been done to prevent the will of the people. What would the GOP have done better? I think nothing.

For a bunch of "George Bush's Wars" people, the leftists certainly never had any problem with Obama getting involved in Egypt. Hell, they seem to endorse interfering with Syria. At least Hussein directly threatened us. How did Khaddafi threaten us? Who's threatening us in Syria?

There are a lot of things I don't blame him for. Unfortunately none of them really relate to his leadership (or total lack thereof).

Again, Congress approved going to war in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do the people remember that? Nooooo.....to them, it was all Bush's fault. A tribute to how ignorant the nation is.

Yes, but Obama treated the Egypt situation like putting a cat inside a canary cage, and asking them to play nice.

It is too late my friend. Obama kicked your sides butt and there is nothing the right can do but blame every bad thing on him. Nice try. I bet your side would have been screaming like crazy if we sent troops in too.

All that and you didn't answer the question. We all know your political positions. You don't need to restate them. Lets try to just stick to one thing at a time.

What should he have done instead?

They don't have an answer. All they want to do is bash Obama who did they same thing Romney would have done. Nothing.

He should have done nothing. We were heavily invested in Iraq and Afghanistan. Our military was spread thin in that region.

Was Egypt even threatening its neighbors like Palestine, Syria and Iran do on a continuous basis?
Why was ousting Hussein bad, but Khaddafi good?

I'm not saying that we never would have gotten involved. It just seemed that Obama rushed to the side of Islamic radicals....just as he seems to want to do in Syria. You know...there are a LOT of people who call Obama a Muslim, or that he favors Islamic radicals. I'm not necessarily one of those people, but his actions concerning the Middle East aren't exactly putting that fire out. It's more like throwing another log onto it.

He supported the will of the people just like Romney would have. Nice try.

How about he support the will of the people in the friggin country he's supposed to be leading?!?

Didn't Obama help the Muslim Brotherhood take control?

How did that Arab Spring work out? Is there anything Obama touches that doesn't turn to dung? The guy fails more than Charlie Brown.

NO. Morsi was elected with 51% of the vote. Obama had nothing to do with it.

I'm sure that at least a few here will have some ideas. Not that the WH or Congress will listen to us but surely there must be some thoughts on the topic. I'm asking for reasonable speculation, not facts.

They don't have an answer. All they want to do is bash Obama who did they same thing Romney would have done. Nothing.

I'm sure that at least a few here will have some ideas. Not that the WH or Congress will listen to us but surely there must be some thoughts on the topic. I'm asking for reasonable speculation, not facts.

Egypt is important to the USA. I think we should have supported a more moderate government but this country is weary of getting involved in Islamic messes so it was a no win situation. Same thing in Syria which would involve sending troups in and would mean American lives being lost. There is no good answer when religion is king and you need the military to keep secular sanity. Now you know why we don't want religion to rule the roost here. To bash Obama on this one is stupid because there is no good answer and the right wing makes great monday morning quarterbacks.

Egypt is important to the USA. I think we should have supported a more moderate government but this country is weary of getting involved in Islamic messes so it was a no win situation. Same thing in Syria which would involve sending troups in and would mean American lives being lost. There is no good answer when religion is king and you need the military to keep secular sanity. Now you know why we don't want religion to rule the roost here. To bash Obama on this one is stupid because there is no good answer and the right wing makes great monday morning quarterbacks.

How about that a year ago Obama claimed the necessity of interfering against Mubarak, and now with his Muslim bros friend morsi, Obama claims that it's not our place to interfere?

Oh, and then in Syria every other week there are more reports about how the rebels are in league with Alquaida and Obama wants to support the "rebels"?

Are you advocating that we interfere and if so, how? For now, they are under military rule and the Islamists are out of favor. I don't see a path to tampering but thats why I asked. On the surface, it sems to me they should be left alone to deal with their own problems. Their military is pretty much secular.

In Syria, there seem to be multiple factions. If we ever get around to doing any supporting, I would hope we'd choose wisely.

How about that a year ago Obama claimed the necessity of interfering against Mubarak, and now with his Muslim bros friend morsi, Obama claims that it's not our place to interfere?

Oh, and then in Syria every other week there are more reports about how the rebels are in league with Alquaida and Obama wants to support the "rebels"?

So what would the GOP have done that would have been better. Oh by the way didn't 0bama kick your sides but in the last election?
See, this is the mindset of the radical, out-of-touch leftist...."my side won, so it doesn't matter if it sucks or not."

It is too late my friend. 0bama kicked your sides butt and there is nothing the right can do but blame every bad thing on him.
You are a sore winner. I'm sure you were sticking your tongue out at me as you wrote that. What's next? Calling me a "poo-poo head?" I've known six year olds with more grace.

They don't have an answer. All they want to do is bash 0bama who did they same thing Romney would have done. Nothing.
I guess that's just speculation. This is my point...We'll never know what Romney would have done. What we do know, is that 0bama failed. I guess if failure is a contest too, you can go ahead and gloat at 0bama's failure. I'll let you. You can even stick your tongue out at me.

Again, we'll never know what Romney would have done, because he was never the president. Obama however, picked the wrong side. He picked the radical Islamist side, because 0bama is a sniveling appeaser. Unfortunately, he's too dumb to realize that there are some people you just can't appease.

Maybe he should have gloated, and stuck his tongue out at them.

So what could have been done to prevent the will of the people. What would the GOP have done better? I think nothing.

Obama bet on the wrong horse in the beginning and should pay for it.

Egypt is the prime example of why the U.S. should not be supportive of any ME country with money.

Obama bet on the wrong horse in the beginning and should pay for it.

Both horses were lousy horses. It's a lose/lose situation. To quote from "War Games", "The only winning move is not to play".

So all you far right moral crusaders who think they know better than us how to live our lives take notice from what has happened to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. You can not have moral police violating our cicil liberties and privacy. I say what is the differance between Islamic nutjobs and Christian nutjobs? They both think they have a mandate from God to tell us what we can put in our bodies,Dictate reproductive rights,discriminate against gays and religions other that their own.

Free people do not want to be told what to do by worshipers of some non seen god and some holy book that was wrote centuries ago. It is time to get far right wing Christian zealots out of politics in this country out there will be a backlash when the right wing goes too far. Shria law is no differant than old testiment law which conservatives quote all the time. The only reason they don't go along with Islam is the fact it is not Christian otherwise they would agree with most of it.

Tell me more about Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Somalia, Afghanistan under the Taliban, and the like?

If you are asking what could have been differently before Morsi. The thing that would have made some sense is to have prolonged the election process. That would have given the true pro-democracy folks at least a chance to organize. The MB has organized for 80 years in Egypt, to have snap elections all but insured their victory. Not sure that the election was in the truest sense democratic.

I'm not sure that we (America) has the authority or position to interfere with any processes by the Egyptian government. We naturally prefer a non-sectarian government, friendly to the US and at least tolerant of Israel. What we want and what we get are 2 different things.

The fact that they had an election at all really shows some hope for them. Now, they seem to have (the Egyptian people) realized that Morsi was packing the government with his fanatical Islamist and the people spoke loudly enough to have Morsi removed.

For all of Obama's "we myst have Democracy" bull****, we're better off letting the Egyptian military run the place. Considering decades of dictatorship, I'm actually pleased at the progress they are making in Egypt. The US blathering about "free elections" is just the kind of crap our pompous politicians pontificate and is for our own public consumption.

Personally, I don't see the problem (aas far as the US is concerned) and I think we should butt out and let them deal with it. We wouldn't appreciate Canada telling us who to elect - so why do we feel we have any right to manage Egyptian politics?

If you are asking what could have been differently before Morsi. The thing that would have made some sense is to have prolonged the election process. That would have given the true pro-democracy folks at least a chance to organize. The MB has organized for 80 years in Egypt, to have snap elections all but insured their victory. Not sure that the election was in the truest sense democratic.

I'm not sure that we (America) has the authority or position to interfere with any processes by the Egyptian government. We naturally prefer a non-sectarian government, friendly to the US and at least tolerant of Israel. What we want and what we get are 2 different things.

The fact that they had an election at all really shows some hope for them. Now, they seem to have (the Egyptian people) realized that Morsi was packing the government with his fanatical Islamist and the people spoke loudly enough to have Morsi removed.

For all of Obama's "we myst have Democracy" bull****, we're better off letting the Egyptian military run the place. Considering decades of dictatorship, I'm actually pleased at the progress they are making in Egypt. The US blathering about "free elections" is just the kind of crap our pompous politicians pontificate and is for our own public consumption.

Personally, I don't see the problem (aas far as the US is concerned) and I think we should butt out and let them deal with it. We wouldn't appreciate Canada telling us who to elect - so why do we feel we have any right to manage Egyptian politics?

What I was trying to say that my guess is that we DID interfere with the elections that were won by Morsi. This is a guess on my part and perhaps wrong. But my sense is that we pressured the Egyptian military to have elections quickly which almost guarenteed a MB victory as they were the only organized party,

That is a pretty reasonable response and you may very well be correct. Fortunately, the Egyptian people themselves did not accept or appreciate the results and they are now going through changes while we foolishly try to influence the process.

We just can't seem to mind our own business. Unfortunate, really, but that's the American way. We love to tell other people what is "right" and "wrong". Hopefully, Obama will STFU and let them sort this out by themselves.

What I was trying to say that my guess is that we DID interfere with the elections that were won by Morsi. This is a guess on my part and perhaps wrong. But my sense is that we pressured the Egyptian military to have elections quickly which almost guarenteed a MB victory as they were the only organized party,

Tell me more about Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Somalia, Afghanistan under the Taliban, and the like?

Are you telling me that if Southern Baptist had control of this country they would not do the same thing the Talaban does in Afganistan? Just think of what would be possible my right wing friend. Drug testing and if you failed you would go to jail. Camps for gays. Jail for sodomery. Jail for mixed race marriage. The sky would be the limit. Christian Zealots are just as dangerous as Islamic zealots my friend other that the fact we would never let them have all the power.

Are you telling me that if Southern Baptist had control of this country they would not do the same thing the Talaban does in Afganistan?

That is correct. And for roughly the same reason that a Democrat President, a Democrat House, and an un-fillibusterable Democrat Senate did not do the same things that Hitler did in Germany or Stalin did in Russia. Because the two sides in America do not actually approach the hyperbolic extremes with which the hysterical portions of their opposition paint them with. That is just fodder to excite the mouth-breathers.

That is correct. And for roughly the same reason that a Democrat President, a Democrat House, and an un-fillibusterable Democrat Senate did not do the same things that Hitler did in Germany or Stalin did in Russia. Because the two sides in America do not actually approach the hyperbolic extremes with which the hysterical portions of their opposition paint them with. That is just fodder to excite the mouth-breathers.

Bull. Just look at all the draconian anti abortion laws the right is pushing at the state level in spite of Roe vs Wade. Just look at the redneck anti immagration laws that the GOP is pushing and worst of all the anti voter laws the right is pushing to make up for the fact they keep getting their butts kicked by the minority vote.

Bull. Just look at all the draconian anti abortion laws the right is pushing at the state level in spite of Roe vs Wade.

:roll: yeah. So draconian it would take us all the way back to..... where Europe is today.

:roll: yeah. So draconian it would take us all the way back to..... where Europe is today.

Yea where they let the Catholic church make law. Do you want that here? To have Jesus freaks tell us what to do? I think not.

Back
Top Bottom