• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Egypt prime example of why people wil not put up with zealots.

James D Hill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
So all you far right moral crusaders who think they know better than us how to live our lives take notice from what has happened to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. You can not have moral police violating our cicil liberties and privacy. I say what is the differance between Islamic nutjobs and Christian nutjobs? They both think they have a mandate from God to tell us what we can put in our bodies,Dictate reproductive rights,discriminate against gays and religions other that their own.

Free people do not want to be told what to do by worshipers of some non seen god and some holy book that was wrote centuries ago. It is time to get far right wing Christian zealots out of politics in this country out there will be a backlash when the right wing goes too far. Shria law is no differant than old testiment law which conservatives quote all the time. The only reason they don't go along with Islam is the fact it is not Christian otherwise they would agree with most of it.

Zealots come in all flavors. Free people don't want to be told what to do by liberal zealots either. No big surprise there.

Nobody wants someone else telling them what's best for them and what they should feel or do in their private lives.

So all you far right moral crusaders who think they know better than us how to live our lives take notice from what has happened to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. You can not have moral police violating our cicil liberties and privacy. I say what is the differance between Islamic nutjobs and Christian nutjobs? They both think they have a mandate from God to tell us what we can put in our bodies,Dictate reproductive rights,discriminate against gays and religions other that their own.

Free people do not want to be told what to do by worshipers of some non seen god and some holy book that was wrote centuries ago. It is time to get far right wing Christian zealots out of politics in this country out there will be a backlash when the right wing goes too far. Shria law is no differant than old testiment law which conservatives quote all the time. The only reason they don't go along with Islam is the fact it is not Christian otherwise they would agree with most of it.

James, you might want to familiarize yourself with the desires of Egyptians. Polling indicates that 2/3 of the citizens support Sharia law for the country. The problem Morsi ran into was that he got elected and then promptly dissolved the parliament, along with some other actions, effectively shutting out any opposition and not even trying to reach a coalition with any of the opposition in the last election...

I think the fallout of the Egyptian crisis is, an Arab country gave the Muslim Brotherhood a chance to govern; the MB was inept and couldn't deal with the economy (no doubt because of their religious fixations), and now the MB is out. I think that bodes well for the next election. I don't think Egypt will make the same mistake twice.

Didn't Obama help the Muslim Brotherhood take control?

How did that Arab Spring work out? Is there anything Obama touches that doesn't turn to dung? The guy fails more than Charlie Brown.

I think the fallout of the Egyptian crisis is, an Arab country gave the Muslim Brotherhood a chance to govern; the MB was inept and couldn't deal with the economy (no doubt because of their religious fixations), and now the MB is out. I think that bodes well for the next election. I don't think Egypt will make the same mistake twice.

Hmm... Obama touts the Muslim Brotherhood and was happy with Morsi and the MB as tyrants to Egyptians. Seems BO has pulled his horns in for the time being, but he'll be back touting this Jihadist and brutal group.

What should he have done instead? Declared war on Egypt?

Is there anything you don't blame Obama for? I can't stand the guy but making him responsible for other countries political upheavals is a bit much.

Keeping a relationship with Egypt is critical to keeping some degree of peace in the ME. They choose - we support.

Hmm... Obama touts the Muslim Brotherhood and was happy with Morsi and the MB as tyrants to Egyptians. Seems BO has pulled his horns in for the time being, but he'll be back touting this Jihadist and brutal group.

James, you might want to familiarize yourself with the desires of Egyptians. Polling indicates that 2/3 of the citizens support Sharia law for the country. The problem Morsi ran into was that he got elected and then promptly dissolved the parliament, along with some other actions, effectively shutting out any opposition and not even trying to reach a coalition with any of the opposition in the last election...

You mean like Obama did, telling republicans "elections matter". Morsi was just working from the Obama playbook of 2009-2010.

What should he have done instead? Declared war on Egypt?

For a bunch of "George Bush's Wars" people, the leftists certainly never had any problem with Obama getting involved in Egypt. Hell, they seem to endorse interfering with Syria. At least Hussein directly threatened us. How did Khaddafi threaten us? Who's threatening us in Syria?

Is there anything you don't blame Obama for?
There are a lot of things I don't blame him for. Unfortunately none of them really relate to his leadership (or total lack thereof).

I can't stand the guy but making him responsible for other countries political upheavals is a bit much.
Again, Congress approved going to war in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do the people remember that? Nooooo.....to them, it was all Bush's fault. A tribute to how ignorant the nation is.

Keeping a relationship with Egypt is critical to keeping some degree of peace in the ME. They choose - we support.
Yes, but Obama treated the Egypt situation like putting a cat inside a canary cage, and asking them to play nice.

All that and you didn't answer the question. We all know your political positions. You don't need to restate them. Lets try to just stick to one thing at a time.

What should he have done instead?

For a bunch of "George Bush's Wars" people, the leftists certainly never had any problem with Obama getting involved in Egypt. Hell, they seem to endorse interfering with Syria. At least Hussein directly threatened us. How did Khaddafi threaten us? Who's threatening us in Syria?

There are a lot of things I don't blame him for. Unfortunately none of them really relate to his leadership (or total lack thereof).

Again, Congress approved going to war in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do the people remember that? Nooooo.....to them, it was all Bush's fault. A tribute to how ignorant the nation is.

Yes, but Obama treated the Egypt situation like putting a cat inside a canary cage, and asking them to play nice.

What should he have done instead?
He should have done nothing. We were heavily invested in Iraq and Afghanistan. Our military was spread thin in that region.

Was Egypt even threatening its neighbors like Palestine, Syria and Iran do on a continuous basis?
Why was ousting Hussein bad, but Khaddafi good?

I'm not saying that we never would have gotten involved. It just seemed that Obama rushed to the side of Islamic radicals....just as he seems to want to do in Syria. You know...there are a LOT of people who call Obama a Muslim, or that he favors Islamic radicals. I'm not necessarily one of those people, but his actions concerning the Middle East aren't exactly putting that fire out. It's more like throwing another log onto it.

He should have done nothing. We were heavily invested in Iraq and Afghanistan. Our military was spread thin in that region.

Was Egypt even threatening its neighbors like Palestine, Syria and Iran do on a continuous basis?

I'm not saying that we never would have gotten involved. It just seemed that Obama rushed to the side of Islamic radicals....just as he seems to want to do in Syria. You know...there are a LOT of people who call Obama a Muslim, or that he favors Islamic radicals. I'm not necessarily one of those people, but his actions concerning the Middle East aren't exactly putting that fire out. It's more like throwing another log onto it.

Obama did not elect Morsi President of Egypt. He does not "favor" Islamic Radicals either. That's your side boohooing about those drones.
We did not invade Libya or Egypt and no US troops were killed either. You sure can't say that about the last President.

Obama did not elect Morsi President of Egypt. He does not "favor" Islamic Radicals either. That's your side boohooing about those drones.
We did not invade Libya or Egypt and no US troops were killed either. You sure can't say that about the last President.

Obama certainly highly endorsed the Muslim Brotherhood and Morsi to govern Egypt.

Obama Administration Draws Closer to Egypt's Muslim ...

www.americanthinker.com/2012/07/obama...egypts_moslem_brotherhood.html

The cozy relationship between the United States government and the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood should be cause for concern both to Americans and to Israelis. U.S ...

Egypt is critical to the balance of power in the ME. They have been the one major ME military that does not mess with Israel. They criticize Israel but they don't menace them.

Now I would be fine with nothing but I'n somewhat confident that these decisions are not arbitrary. We pay for a lot of spies and analysts. Those analysts present options to the CIC. So maybe this is the best possible outcome. We made nice with Morsi. The people rejected him. The military stepped in. I mean, aren't we the country with a long history of embracing military dictatorships? Why did we do that over and over again? Are we such a stupid nation that we can not learn or is everyone in government trying to bring their own country down?

I don't see that we screwed up. That is the craziest part of the world. Religious lunatics abound in all walks of life there. So far, I think we did OK but of course, we'll never know.

Looking at you post again, I think you think we sent military to Egypt. You might be mistaken. I believe we gave them weapons and supplies.

Hussein. Well, I don't miss him and he brought doom on himself by being elusive about his imaginary weapons. Still. they could have settled his case with one shock and awe attack they wren't expecting instad of taking 9 months and getting into a decade long war. Quaddafi. That son of a bitch owes me his life for Pan Am 103. Wish I could have been there when they stuck that pole up his ass. At least that was a quick one.

Looking at you post again, I think you think we sent military to Egypt. You might be mistaken. I believe we gave them weapons and supplies.
Yes, I fully understand we did not have "boots on the ground" there. However, it's my opinion that he picked the wrong side. Our interests should be in three things: protection of our sovereign, protection of our trade routes, and protection of our allies. Khaddafi posed a threat to none of those things. Furthermore, you would think that after witnessing what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan, we'd have learned our lesson about radical Islamists. Obama seems to learn like a retard in a quantum physics class. Jeez, how would he react if there were someone like Hitler or Napoleon around?

Hussein. Well, I don't miss him and he brought doom on himself by being elusive about his imaginary weapons. Still. they could have settled his case with one shock and awe attack they wren't expecting instad of taking 9 months and getting into a decade long war.
Well, time will tell with this one. If the Iraq War were a poker game, Bush was "pot committed" in that one. He had to continue. Backing out would have been disastrous for our foreign relations. Kinda like how Obama is Vladimir Putin's [female dog] now.

Quaddafi. That son of a bitch owes me his life for Pan Am 103. Wish I could have been there when they stuck that pole up his ass. At least that was a quick one.
I can't say anything here on a personal level. Just on a national one, Obama didn't really weigh the pro's and con's very well.

All I've tried to say is that the Presidents depend on their agencies to make te pathways to decisions. In retrospect, and using 20/20 hindsight, it seems to us civilians that they made poor choices. Tell me of one time we had everything work out beautifully? Maybe Korea. Certainly not in Asia or the ME. But maybe it was better than the alternative - we'll never know.

Should we have backed Mubarak? Well, we did until he had his own uprising. His deposition was not because of our support, which was more symbolic than actual. Should we now be backing Assad? Should we have backed Quadaffi?

That applies to all Presidents. This applies to all interventions.

Yes, I fully understand we did not have "boots on the ground" there. However, it's my opinion that he picked the wrong side. Our interests should be in three things: protection of our sovereign, protection of our trade routes, and protection of our allies. Khaddafi posed a threat to none of those things. Furthermore, you would think that after witnessing what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan, we'd have learned our lesson about radical Islamists. Obama seems to learn like a retard in a quantum physics class. Jeez, how would he react if there were someone like Hitler or Napoleon around?

Well, time will tell with this one. If the Iraq War were a poker game, Bush was "pot committed" in that one. He had to continue. Backing out would have been disastrous for our foreign relations. Kinda like how Obama is Vladimir Putin's [female dog] now.

I can't say anything here on a personal level. Just on a national one, Obama didn't really weigh the pro's and con's very well.

That wasn't my question though, was it?

Your question was about blaming Obama for everything. I provided a possible answer to the question. Did that confuse you?

The question: Is there anything you don't blame Obama for?
The answer: Perhaps blaming Bush for everything has finally gone out of style.

If you consider your answer to somehow relate to my question - you are just too much smarter than me and you'll need to simplify. I'm unclear how Bush got into the picture.

Your question was about blaming Obama for everything. I provided a possible answer to the question. Did that confuse you?

Zealots come in all flavors. Free people don't want to be told what to do by liberal zealots either. No big surprise there.

Nobody wants someone else telling them what's best for them and what they should feel or do in their private lives.

You are right on that one my friend. I worked for almost 15 years for the state of Washington and PC liberal zealots can be just as self righteous and nasty as religious or law and order conservatives. What I have found is you can debate the right wingers without incriminating yourself but if you take on the PC dweebs they say you are part of the problem and guilty just because you opposed them.

You are right AP. I saw that very stat on the news. Their is a very vocal and wealthy non extremist muslim and christian population that many other Islamic states do not have. The protest we are seeing do not represent the majority but the military supports secularism and that is all that matters.

Didn't Obama help the Muslim Brotherhood take control?

How did that Arab Spring work out? Is there anything Obama touches that doesn't turn to dung? The guy fails more than Charlie Brown.

So what would the GOP have done that would have been better. Oh by the way didn't Obama kick your sides but in the last election?

Back
Top Bottom