• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

ocean515

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Egypt army commander suspends constitution

CAIRO (Reuters) - The head of Egypt's armed forces issued a declaration on Wednesday suspending the constitution and appointing the head of the constitutional court as interim head of state.

In a televised broadcast, flanked by military leaders, religious authorities and political figures, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi effectively declared the removal of elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.

What happens now in the Egypt?

CAIRO (Reuters) - The head of Egypt's armed forces issued a declaration on Wednesday suspending the constitution and appointing the head of the constitutional court as interim head of state.

In a televised broadcast, flanked by military leaders, religious authorities and political figures, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi effectively declared the removal of elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi.

What happens now in the Egypt?[/QUOTE]

S***, meet fan.

Heya Ocean. :2wave: That isn't all they are doing either. What will happen.....looks like Morsi and some die hard MBs will make a stand. The rest have been put on notice again. Be nice if the Egyptian Army decimated them and their home turf. That will affect their operations going on all over the place. Including here in the US. Already our Oil Prices have gone up.

Team Obama wanted Morsi in along with the Neo Cons, and Johnny Quest McCain.....the Egyptians want Morsi and the MB out at all costs. Says volumes to me!

Egypt army moves in tanks, president isolated.....

Egypt's army deployed tanks and troops close to the presidential palace in Cairo on Wednesday after a military deadline for Islamist President Mohamed Mursi to yield to street protests passed without any agreement.

Mursi's national security adviser said a military coup was under way as armed forces commander General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi met political, religious and youth leaders.

The state news agency MENA said they would make a joint announcement of a roadmap for a new transitional period and new elections two years after the overthrow of autocratic ex-president Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising.

The elected Muslim Brotherhood president, in office for just a year, remained out of sight in a Republican Guard barracks surrounded by barbed wire, barriers and troops, but military sources denied media reports that he was under arrest.

Military chiefs, vowing to restore order in a country racked by protests over Mursi's Islamist policies, earlier issued a call to battle in a statement headlined "The Final Hours". They said they were willing to shed blood against "terrorists and fools" after Mursi refused to give up his elected office.

Armored vehicles took up position outside the state broadcasting headquarters on the Nile River bank, where soldiers patrolled the corridors and non-essential staff were sent home.

In a show of force, several hundred soldiers with armored vehicles staged a parade near the presidential palace, and security sources said Mursi and the entire senior leadership of his Muslim Brotherhood were banned from leaving the country.

Security sources told Reuters the authorities had sent a list of at least 40 leading members of the Brotherhood to airport police.

U.S. oil prices rose to a 14-month high above $100 a barrel partly on fears that unrest in Egypt could destabilize the Middle East and lead to supply disruption.

The massive protests showed that the Brotherhood had not only alienated liberals and secularists by seeking to entrench Islamic rule, notably in a new constitution, but had also angered millions of Egyptians with economic mismanagement.

Tourism and investment have dried up, inflation is rampant and fuel supplies are running short, with power cuts lengthening in the summer heat and motorists spending hours fuelling cars.

In what may have been his last official statement, Mursi's spokesman said it was better that he die in defense of democracy than be blamed by history.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/egypts-mursi-defies-army-plots-future-without-him-010721364.html

I can't imagine living in a country going through this much upheaval this often.

Whats hilarious is Morsi and the MB talking about dying for Democracy. Now that is some funny ****!
smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

As much as I detest Morsi, he was elected in a democratic election.

Heya Ocean. :2wave: That isn't all they are doing either. What will happen.....looks like Morsi and some die hard MBs will make a stand. The rest have been put on notice again. Be nice if the Egyptian Army decimated them and their home turf. That will affect their operations going on all over the place. Including here in the US. Already our Oil Prices have gone up.

Team Obama wanted Morsi in along with the Neo Cons, and Johnny Quest McCain.....the Egyptians want Morsi and the MB out at all costs. Says volumes to me!

Egypt army moves in tanks, president isolated.....

Egypt's army deployed tanks and troops close to the presidential palace in Cairo on Wednesday after a military deadline for Islamist President Mohamed Mursi to yield to street protests passed without any agreement.

Mursi's national security adviser said a military coup was under way as armed forces commander General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi met political, religious and youth leaders.

The state news agency MENA said they would make a joint announcement of a roadmap for a new transitional period and new elections two years after the overthrow of autocratic ex-president Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising.

The elected Muslim Brotherhood president, in office for just a year, remained out of sight in a Republican Guard barracks surrounded by barbed wire, barriers and troops, but military sources denied media reports that he was under arrest.

Military chiefs, vowing to restore order in a country racked by protests over Mursi's Islamist policies, earlier issued a call to battle in a statement headlined "The Final Hours". They said they were willing to shed blood against "terrorists and fools" after Mursi refused to give up his elected office.

Armored vehicles took up position outside the state broadcasting headquarters on the Nile River bank, where soldiers patrolled the corridors and non-essential staff were sent home.

In a show of force, several hundred soldiers with armored vehicles staged a parade near the presidential palace, and security sources said Mursi and the entire senior leadership of his Muslim Brotherhood were banned from leaving the country.

Security sources told Reuters the authorities had sent a list of at least 40 leading members of the Brotherhood to airport police.

U.S. oil prices rose to a 14-month high above $100 a barrel partly on fears that unrest in Egypt could destabilize the Middle East and lead to supply disruption.

The massive protests showed that the Brotherhood had not only alienated liberals and secularists by seeking to entrench Islamic rule, notably in a new constitution, but had also angered millions of Egyptians with economic mismanagement.

Tourism and investment have dried up, inflation is rampant and fuel supplies are running short, with power cuts lengthening in the summer heat and motorists spending hours fuelling cars.

In what may have been his last official statement, Mursi's spokesman said it was better that he die in defense of democracy than be blamed by history.....snip~

Egypt army topples president, announces transition

I've got to get myself more up to speed on the coup, but it seems to me Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood attempted to put a more radical islamic government in place than the people wanted.

This appears to be a big push back against the more fundamental forces in the region.

Why do people keep saying that? Why does it matter how he got in office?

I wonder if we'll see the White Horse of the Alocalypse pop up again ?

J/K...a very interesting lens flare from the initial Egyptian Protest made it on a MSNBC video of a rioting Egyptian Crowd.

So when these purveyors of "liberty" aren't gang raping Blonde white women their screaming for their civil rights...

Ok

Gasoline was $1.86 per gallon when Obama took office, now a nearly 200% inflation in under 5 years.

But he has been doing a great job using our military and influence to put radical Islamic groups into power in Libya and Egypt. So I guess everyone paying a hundred or two more dollars per month for fuel is a good deal, huh?

New boss same as the old boss. I saw this coming a long time ago.

Gasoline was $1.86 per gallon when Obama took office, now a nearly 200% inflation in under 5 years.

But he has been doing a great job using our military and influence to put radical Islamic groups into power in Libya and Egypt. So I guess everyone paying a hundred or two more dollars per month for fuel is a good deal, huh?

How exactly did Obama influence the elections or the initial revolution in Egypt? how did he put the brotherhood in power?

So was Assad. So was Putin. Uhm So Was Gadhafi. So was Imadeaninajon. :lol: Course he is on the outs now. ;)

pay close attention to gas prices during the dicknbush regime:
gas-prices-inflation-adjusted.jpg

First thought: the entire region is nuts but you have to give some respect to the Egyptian military. Unlike so many Middle Eastern governments where the military is used to carry out acts of war and brutality against their own people, the Egyptian military supports the people above all. That's very American of them. :lol: Kudos!

My second thought is I'm very frustrated what happens in Egypt, Syria, Iran or Libya is tied to our national and vital interests.

How exactly did Obama influence the elections or the initial revolution in Egypt? how did he put the brotherhood in power?

Do you think backing Morsi with Clinton and Kerry writing up Infrastructure bills for foreign aid might have something to do with it. Uhm you don't recall Ginsburg going over there and telling them they should model their Constitution after the South African one. How about Kerry wherein he wanted to witness Democracy in action and flew over there to watch Egyptians vote.

Did you think this was not in the Neo Lib ideology and ran lock stock and barrel with the Neo Con policy?

New boss same as the old boss. I saw this coming a long time ago.

What country in this region, aside from Israel, has shown itself capable of anything but this? It's just who they are and what they do.

With luck, the modern, secular people of Egypt will keep control away from the backwards religious people. The radical Islamist factions aren't the majority and don't speak for most of the people. Egypt is going through the struggles that it must in order to come out a modern nation. Shaking off the shackles of crazy religious leaders is part of the process, and a part that Egypt seems intent on doing. Go Egypt!

It seems the voice for inclusion and moderation has at last pulled ahead. I got to say with as much hope as I can muster, that they get it right the second time round.
Moreover, there has to be 'egg' on the faces of a few here at DP, for their way off the mark predictions...

Paul

Obama is at fault for anything bad... AIDS, world hunger, random asteroid heading our way that is going to kill us, and when the aliens finally come and enslave us, it will be his fault also.

Obama is at fault for anything bad... AIDS, world hunger, random asteroid heading our way that is going to kill us, and when the aliens finally come and enslave us, it will be his fault also.

Well not really.....if one wanted to go out and party. This is the guy to do it with. As he Luvs to spend other peoples money. He will spend Buko dolla and you will have the time of ya life. Even moreso if ya let him win at golfing. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom