• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

With luck, the modern, secular people of Egypt will keep control away from the backwards religious people. The radical Islamist factions aren't the majority and don't speak for most of the people. Egypt is going through the struggles that it must in order to come out a modern nation. Shaking off the shackles of crazy religious leaders is part of the process, and a part that Egypt seems intent on doing. Go Egypt!

Let's hope. Morsi appears to have won the prior election fair and square but there's more to democracy than elections and that may have been an artifact of the Mubarak days, when it was a highly organized opposition. Egypt didn't have the institutional framework and checks and balances to keep the Brotherhood from acting like petty dictators. But at least they proved themselves inept at fixing economic problems (probably because they fixated on religious ones), so hopefully they will lose the next election fair and square.

As much as I detest Morsi, he was elected in a democratic election.

It only counts as a democratic election if a guy we like wins.

reading "suspends constitution" gives me a chill.

reading "suspends constitution" gives me a chill.

Well, it was a pretty undemocratic constitution that Morsi and the Brotherhood rammed through apparently to protect their interests, not those of minorities or the civil rights of others.

I've got to get myself more up to speed on the coup, but it seems to me Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood attempted to put a more radical islamic government in place than the people wanted.

This appears to be a big push back against the more fundamental forces in the region.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/africa/165172-egypts-military-issues-48-hour-ultimatum.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...litary-ousts-morsi-suspends-constitution.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...-gives-president-48-hours-resolve-crisis.html

Seems we have a few going with all that has been taking place. ;)

All i hope is that a new fair, secular constitution is created, and new fair elections are held and that the military lets go of power soon.

All i hope is that a new fair, secular constitution is created, and new fair elections are held and that the military lets go of power soon.

I'll be surprised if the military authority give up it's power, peacefully. They sat back and allowed things to deteriorate, so they could play the cavalry and ride in to save the day.

CNN was reporting that the head of the MB and his deputy were arrested and that 300 arrest warrants were issued for 300 other MB members.

I'll be surprised if the military authority give up it's power, peacefully. They sat back and allowed things to deteriorate, so they could play the cavalry and ride in to save the day.

Technically the constitutional court now has the power. But i believe the Egyptian military saw what can happen if they **** with the people so i suspect things will go smoothly (or i hope so)

Technically the constitutional court now has the power. But i believe the Egyptian military saw what can happen if they **** with the people so i suspect things will go smoothly (or i hope so)

The military doesn't want to be in control as the leaders make their money through the little corporations run within the military itself, and it doesn't want the hassle of running the country where it might be blamed for economic conditions...

Gen. Abdel-Fatah El-Sisi said Morsy "did not achieve the goals of the people" and failed to meet the generals' demands that he share power with his opposition. Adly Mansour, head of the country's Supreme Constitutional Court, will replace Morsy as Egypt's interim president, El-Sisi announced.

The country's constitution has been suspended and Mansour will "establish a government that is a strong and diverse," said El-Sisi, head of the country's armed forces. New parliamentary elections will be held and Mansour will have the power to issue constitutional declarations in the meantime, he said.

Coup topples Egypt's Morsy; supporters reportedly rounded up - CNN.com

Last edited:
Looks like Barack and Hillary's Arab Spring just hit the dog days of summer.....

How is this not a good thing. The West has been complaining about the Morsi for months. Well, he's out and the revolution rolls on.

Last edited:

The Egyptian has all the firepower, too.

How is this not a good thing. Westerners have been complaining about the Morsi for months. Well, he's out and the revolution rolls on.

Heya EF. :2wave: I think it is Great. Means the MB can be put on the run. Put them back on the Terrorist list where they belong, and let the Drone Hunting begin. ;)

Heya EF. :2wave: I think it is Great. Means the MB can be put on the run. Put them back on the Terrorist list where they belong, and let the Drone Hunting begin. ;)

that would only anger the Egyptian people, and give the Muslim brotherhood a chance to rally support to their cause.

let the muslim brotherhood rot on the vine in silence thats what i think

Last edited:
that would only anger the Egyptian people, and give the Muslim brotherhood a chance to rally support to their cause.

let the muslim brotherhood rot on the vine in silence thats what i think

Seems they aren't saying to much about the Egyptian Military arresting them. Banning their Air travel. Nor are they stopping any from going after the MB. They know themselves and watched the MB kill innocent people. Take up arms several times and threaten all with their ways and statements of not backing down. That they will do what they want to.

All ways that lead to their demise.....is a very good thing. For the Entire Planet. ;)

[SUB][/SUB]

Hear hear.

The good news is that the Muslim Brotherhood had their chance to reform the economy and raise living standards. They frittered it away on religious squabbles (predictably).

I doubt the Egyptian electorate (except the uneducated rural portion) will fall for that again.

Looks like Barack and Hillary's Arab Spring just hit the dog days of summer.....

Whoosh! Right over your partisan head.

If Romney were president he'd invade and spend another $3T alienating half the world.

Whoosh! Right over your partisan head.

If Romney were president he'd invade and spend another $3T alienating half the world.

but bit bit Baracky is so smart he is hinting he is going to withhold US money from the moderate secular military if they do not return power to the radical Islamist,,,,,real "merican leadership right there.

Here is a clue--this and Syria are when Obama voting "present" would actually be the right thing to do. He has lots of practice so it shouldn't be hard for him.

Whats hilarious is Morsi and the MB talking about dying for Democracy. Now that is some funny ****!
smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

And I find it funny Egyptians cheering and suspending their constitution. ****ing idiots, imho.

Well, it was a pretty undemocratic constitution that Morsi and the Brotherhood rammed through apparently to protect their interests, not those of minorities or the civil rights of others.

So what.. it democratically passed. Can I go out and contact a bunch if Army generals and say overthrow Obama for Obamacare?

They got the constitution they voted for. Egyptians voted for the Muslim Brotherhood. They had Morsi and Shafik to vote for. Shafik was just as crazy.

And considering they were accused of trying to rig the elections for others against Morsi makes it a bigger deal.

And considering they were accused of trying to rig the elections for others against Morsi makes it a bigger deal.

In Egypt there are two political factions: the ones I wouldn't trust with my dead dog and the ones that I wouldn't trust with my dead cat.

Back
Top Bottom