• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Edward Snowden to meet with Ecuador officials, says WikiLeaks

DA60

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'Ecuadoran official says Snowden asked for asylum

Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor wanted by the United States for revealing highly classified surveillance programs, flew to Russia on Sunday and planned to head to Ecuador to seek asylum, the South American country's foreign minister and the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks said.

Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said his government has received a request for asylum from Snowden. WikiLeaks, which is giving Snowden legal assistance, said his asylum request would be formally processed once he arrived in Ecuador, the same country that has already been sheltering the anti-secrecy group's founder Julian Assange in its London embassy.

Snowden arrived in Moscow on an Aeroflot flight shortly after 5 p.m. local time Sunday after being allowed to leave Hong Kong, where he had been in hiding for several weeks after he revealed information on the highly classified spy programs.

Snowden was spending the night in Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport and was booked on an Aeroflot flight to Cuba on Monday, the Russian news agencies ITAR-Tass and Interfax reported, citing unnamed airline officials. Aeroflot has no direct flights from Moscow to Quito, Ecuador; travelers would have to make connections in Paris, Rome or Washington, which could be problematic for Snowden.'

Edward Snowden to meet with Ecuador officials, says WikiLeaks - World - CBC News

I hope he gets asylum and I hope he has an excellent quality of life during that time - because it looks like it will be for a LONG time...unless Obama has him assassinated.

Ecuador has been falling under the Chinese umbrella since the mid 2000s. They are... less than cooperative with American interests.

All I can say is...

Edward. I just hope the government gets it through it's thick skull to leave him alone and doesn't try anything to kill an American citizen...again.

I hope he gets asylum and I hope he has an excellent quality of life during that time - because it looks like it will be for a LONG time...unless Obama has him assassinated.

Pretty much anyone who once worked for the NSA and is willing to spill the beans will be guaranteed an excellent life in a country whose government is hostile to the US gummint.

With all the secrets Snowden has been privy to, including the extra-martial phone calls of various high-level US officials, Ecuador should have no problem extorting a whole slew of concessions (and possibly a lot of $$) from the US gummint.

He's hiding out in their embassy in London.

Assange left the embassy at least an year ago and (possibly) went to Ecuador, or somewhere else.

Last edited:
Ecuador has been falling under the Chinese umbrella since the mid 2000s. They are... less than cooperative with American interests.

Lemme correct that for you. . .

"they are less than cooperative with American government interests."

My question on Google was "Does Ecuador have an extradition treaty with the us?"

the answer was found here was:

but I didn't read the PDF.

Why Ecuador, I wonder?

With the possible exception of the Colombian government and the Brazilian government, most all of south american countries resent the heavy-handed rule of the Wicked Gringo, and have for many years. Bolivia and Ecuador, I'm pretty sure have closed down some military bases used by the US in its drug war.

With the possible exception of the Colombian government and the Brazilian government, most all of south american countries resent the heavy-handed rule of the Wicked Gringo, and have for many years. Bolivia and Ecuador, I'm pretty sure have closed down some military bases used by the US in its drug war.

So, our government has pixxed off the leaders of those nations in waging the so called "war on drugs", and now are reaping the rewards of their actions.

but, heaven forbid we back off on our war on drugs.

and now the whistle blower on the likewise heavy handed policy of tapping the phones of virtually the entire nation has a place of refuge.

Do you suppose anyone in Washington will learn anything at all from that?

So, our government has pixxed off the leaders of those nations in waging the so called "war on drugs", and now are reaping the rewards of their actions.

but, heaven forbid we back off on our war on drugs.

and now the whistle blower on the likewise heavy handed policy of tapping the phones of virtually the entire nation has a place of refuge.

Do you suppose anyone in Washington will learn anything at all from that?

Probably not.

Going back to the birth of the Monroe Doctrine, the ugly Gringo del Norte has been quite the arrogant pariah in the minds of many down there, usually with just cause.

Back
Top Bottom