• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Education secretary urged his employees to attend Sharpton's rally

texmaster

Hippie Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
President Obama's top education official urged government employees to attend a rally that the Rev. Al Sharpton organized to counter a larger conservative event on the Mall.

"ED staff are invited to join Secretary Arne Duncan, the Reverend Al Sharpton, and other leaders on Saturday, Aug. 28, for the 'Reclaim the Dream' rally and march," began an internal e-mail sent to more than 4,000 employees of the Department of Education on Wednesday.

Sharpton created the event after Glenn Beck announced a massive Tea Party "Restoring Honor" rally at the Lincoln Memorial, where King spoke in 1963.

"It sends a signal that activity on behalf of one side of a political debate is expected within a department. It's highly inappropriate ... even in the absence of a direct threat," Boaz said. "If we think of a Bush cabinet official sending an e-mail to civil servants asking them to attend a Glenn Beck rally, there would be a lot of outrage over that."

Can't say I'm shocked an Obama lackey would do this but it is troubling.

Education secretary urged his employees to attend Sharpton's rally | Washington Examiner

What's troubling about this? He was saving his people from maybe making the mistake of wandering into the hate filled, intolerant whites only Beck rally. It was for the good of his people Tex.

Really.

;)

Sarah Palin speaks at a rally: "OMG this is obviously a political event. This is ridiculous!"

Education Secretary speaks at a rally (and invites 4000 gov workers): "No problem, it's just an educational event. No politics here."

President Obama's top education official urged government employees to attend a rally that the Rev. Al Sharpton organized to counter a larger conservative event on the Mall.

"ED staff are invited to join Secretary Arne Duncan, the Reverend Al Sharpton, and other leaders on Saturday, Aug. 28, for the 'Reclaim the Dream' rally and march," began an internal e-mail sent to more than 4,000 employees of the Department of Education on Wednesday.

Sharpton created the event after Glenn Beck announced a massive Tea Party "Restoring Honor" rally at the Lincoln Memorial, where King spoke in 1963.

"It sends a signal that activity on behalf of one side of a political debate is expected within a department. It's highly inappropriate ... even in the absence of a direct threat," Boaz said. "If we think of a Bush cabinet official sending an e-mail to civil servants asking them to attend a Glenn Beck rally, there would be a lot of outrage over that."

Can't say I'm shocked an Obama lackey would do this but it is troubling.

Education secretary urged his employees to attend Sharpton's rally | Washington Examiner

Actually this is a fireable offense. There's plenty of precedence on this.

Tim-

Actually this is a fireable offense. There's plenty of precedence on this.

Tim-

Bullcrap.

It clearly says invited.

The Sec of Education can promote an event he's speaking at. Big deal. And no, I wouldn't care if Bush Sec did it either.

It was a polite invitation -- no "urging" or mandatory... so save the righteous indignation hackery.

The Washington Examiner learned of the e-mail from a Department of Education employee who felt uncomfortable with Duncan's request.

This is who they should be fired -- the idiot employee at the DoE that can't even read.
Sounds like some little troll down in the mail room doesn't like his job or his boss.

Typical WA Examiner spin -- it's humorous how easily you guys fall for this stuff.

Bullcrap.

It clearly says invited.

The Sec of Education can promote an event he's speaking at. Big deal. And no, I wouldn't care if Bush Sec did it either.

It was a polite invitation -- no "urging" or mandatory... so save the righteous indignation hackery.

This is who they should be fired -- the idiot employee at the DoE that can't even read.
Sounds like some little troll down in the mail room doesn't like his job or his boss.

Typical WA Examiner spin -- it's humorous how easily you guys fall for this stuff.

I would agree that this does not sound like anything ut of the ordinary. It would be embarrassing for the secretary to speak and have no one there to listen!

Bullcrap.

It clearly says invited.

And I don't believe that for one ****ing second. I'd take 10-1 odds that if a Bush appointee had invited 4000 subordinates to attend a Sarah Palin rally, there would be 100 posts about how he was disgracing America.

Wow, I'm shocked that you think the person who is in the wrong here is the (presumably) conservative one. That's completely out of character for you.

Bullcrap.

It clearly says invited.

Hehe.. Well, I doubt very much that you'd be hunky dory with a Buish official doing the same thing, but hey, whatever floats your boat. "invited" - although technically in none violation, the implication is apparent. Why would the Sec of Ed jon in any event that Al Sharpton was running? The man is a race baiter pure and simple. Did you see his head explode on O'Reilly last night? O'Reilly made him look like a school girl that had his hair dipped in ink.. He's a nitwit whore!

Tim-

Bullcrap.

It clearly says invited.

He can't use his office to even invite people. It is a violation of the Hatch Act. And no, I don't have a political axe to grind either. A few Bush employees did the same thing when he was on office, and I called for their heads on a platter too. Illegal is illegal, no matter who is in office.

Last edited:
And I don't believe that for one ****ing second. I'd take 10-1 odds that if a Bush appointee had invited 4000 subordinates to attend a Sarah Palin rally, there would be 100 posts about how he was disgracing America.

That is because listening to Palin speak is akin to torture, and we all know how that whole fiasco went down with the administration. :D

the idea was to try to swell the crowd at the Sharpton Rally to counter the Restore Honor Rally but it fail miserably. Today Glenn Beck took apart most of those who bad mouthed his event and he did it with their own words and clips from the peaceful well mannered respectful crowd he drew.

I must have totally pissed off the likes of Olbermann and Mathewsn and even Sharpton got in on the looking like a fool for his statements.

The crowd was described by some as hateful or mean spirited as the Tea Party has been, however all the gate and violence and threats and attempted intimidation comes from the LEFTIES. They are so frustrated because they don't get it. The more they attacj Fox News and it's people the higher the rating go up doe all the shows the Liberals want gone. They should shut the hell up and it would stop drawing attention to the likes of Beck, Hannity, and number 1, O'Reilly.

Sharpton is a racist in the first degree and it can be seen in his history. Here is proof: http://http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rev-sharpton-responds-to-blaze-shocking-racism-video/

Last edited:
That is because listening to Palin speak is akin to torture, and we all know how that whole fiasco went down with the administration. :D

I think he's trying to make a funny. :lol:

So let's see the true liberal method of attack here. A story comes out with an Obama administration official that "invites" 4000 of his employees to a political event, and don't for one second think that Sharpton's event wasn't political, also we all know what it means when the boss "invites" a subordinate to anything. But we have this story, and instead of liberals coming in this thread and being honorable, and saying things like they would if ANY repub were in office, Nooooooo.

Instead we get some fantastical line about how it was only an invite, and an attack on the whistle blower. Hey, I thought liberals were all for the whistle blowers out there? Oh wait, that was only when Bush was in office. :roll: I am surprised that the charge of racism didn't emanate, that is usually right on the lips of most liberals today standing at the ready to be thrown out there regardless if the charge even comes close to fitting.

Thanks Nut, you got my morning off to a good start with this absurd leap of logic.

j-mac

So let's see the true liberal method of attack here. A story comes out with an Obama administration official that "invites" 4000 of his employees to a political event, and don't for one second think that Sharpton's event wasn't political, also we all know what it means when the boss "invites" a subordinate to anything. But we have this story, and instead of liberals coming in this thread and being honorable, and saying things like they would if ANY repub were in office, Nooooooo.

I've read it twice and can't see any point that you're making. A boss invited his employees to a rally. So, it's political. No one was ordered back to barracks for day.

Instead we get some fantastical line about how it was only an invite, and an attack on the whistle blower. Hey, I thought liberals were all for the whistle blowers out there? Oh wait, that was only when Bush was in office. :roll: I am surprised that the charge of racism didn't emanate, that is usually right on the lips of most liberals today standing at the ready to be thrown out there regardless if the charge even comes close to fitting.

Um.... whistle blower only applies when a crime was committed. I'll go with Busy-Body little troll in the mailroom. Does the jerk that called the paper know that the Tea Party would like to see the DoE abolished and his job terminated??

I've read it twice and can't see any point that you're making. A boss invited his employees to a rally. So, it's political. No one was ordered back to barracks for day.

Read the Hatch act pal.

Um.... whistle blower only applies when a crime was committed. I'll go with Busy-Body little troll in the mailroom. Does the jerk that called the paper know that the Tea Party would like to see the DoE abolished and his job terminated??

Pot..Meet Kettle.

j-mac

Bullcrap.

It clearly says invited.

:lamo

And if that same government official had contaced his entire staff and 'recommended' they attend Beck's rally your ass would be in the hospital from heart palpitations!

Good lord...you are so predictable its sadly, tragically, pathetically laughable.

laughing-mickey.gif

:lamo

And if that same government official had contaced his entire staff and 'recommended' they attend Beck's rally your ass would be in the hospital from heart palpitations!

Good lord...you are so predictable its sadly, tragically, pathetically laughable.

Vance:

I'm one of the least predictable persons around here.

The fringe-righties think I'm predictable because I hammer on their shallow masters in these Demolition-Derby type threads. Not liking Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin hardly tells you anything about me. I've posted longer thoughtful posts in actual discussion threads, perhaps you should check them out before you judge. You're attempt to predict how I'd respond to a hypothetical reeks of desperation.

Libertarians are the only political party that seem to stand for a consistent and clear platform -- but when you engage in left/right partisanship, especially of the fringe variety, you embarrass yourself and your party.

Vance:

I'm one of the least predictable persons around here.

The fringe-righties think I'm predictable because I hammer on their shallow masters in these Demolition-Derby type threads. Not liking Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin hardly tells you anything about me. I've posted longer thoughtful posts in actual discussion threads, perhaps you should check them out before you judge. You're attempt to predict how I'd respond to a hypothetical reeks of desperation.
Libertarians are the only political party that seem to stand for a consistent and clear platform -- but when you engage in left/right partisanship, especially of the fringe variety, you embarrass yourself and your party.

And yet I managed to nail it so very very well. Which means Im either A-much more insightful than you give me credit for, or B-you really arent as difficult a read as you think you are. You choose...

I have been here long enough to know that there certain folks that will go through conniptions to embrace or defend any and everything that is leftist and condemn any and everything that is right leaning. Oh...sure...theres LOTS on the other side as well. but...regarding the former? yeah...you...

So...try it out...you TRY and pretend for a half a second you could type "I wouldnt have objected if a DIRECTOR of a government department sent a mass emailing to every member of the department inviting them to attend the Beck rally-I think that would be absolutely appropriate"...and if you can do that without your screen going blank and your keyboard catching fire I will post a retraction.

I think we should just go ahead and throw the entire DOE (federally) out. It's just a pass-through for federal dollars being redistributed to the states. Let the state DOEs handle the function of monitoring educational success.

I think we should just go ahead and throw the entire DOE (federally) out. It's just a pass-through for federal dollars being redistributed to the states. Let the state DOEs handle the function of monitoring educational success.

Exactly right....The Feds have no business meddling in it to begin with. All they have done is **** things up.

j-mac

Amen sista! and if there are 4,000 people working there, thats 4,000 people that NEED to be unemployed...

Amen sista! and if there are 4,000 people working there, thats 4,000 people that NEED to be unemployed...

Wow, Catz, I agree with you. And while you at it.. :)

Tim-

Moderator's Warning:
Deleted a post by Hazelnut and j-mac due to display errors - not content.
We are looking into the display error issue.

Back
Top Bottom