• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Editorial: What critical race theory is — and isn't — and why it belongs in schools

asked for roadblocks, and you provided charts which document outcomes, and none of those charts even attempt to explain the causality...

...One question to ask is if blacks have better outcomes in countries where there are few white people to be racist against them. The answer is no. I can't think of one predominately black country that I would consider successful. Can you?

The charts only document the results of this racism. The article and the embed link also lists the roadblocks, add all the info you can find by Googling, "examples of systemic racism" and you'll understand what's going on. If you can't accept the data, well you can lead a horse to water...

Lets just stick to debating budget, infrastructure, voting suppression, renewable energy, gun control and climate change issues, etc. I'm not going to spend any time defending an entire race of people who are continually being denigrated by a closeted racist, because frankly it just creeps me out...

The charts only document the results of this racism.

No, you are assuming racism is the cause of the results.

Get this through your skull: there is nothing in the US holding back minorities. I'm in the building trades, and I know Mexican landscapers and roofers who can barely speak English, yet earn over 100k per year, simply because they work their asses off.

The article and the embed link also lists the roadblocks, add all the info you can find by Googling, "examples of systemic racism" and you'll understand what's going on. If you can't accept the data, well you can lead a horse to water...

You are the one making the claim, the burden is on you to provide evidence in support of it.

Lets just stick to debating budget, infrastructure, voting suppression, renewable energy, gun control and climate change issues, etc. I'm not going to spend any time defending an entire race of people who are continually being denigrated by a closeted racist, because frankly it just creeps me out...

Right, because you can't back up your own claims, it must mean that I am a "closeted racist".

I guess I don't blame you, since screaming "racist" and pointing fingers is pretty much all you've got.

The charts only document the results of this racism. The article and the embed link also lists the roadblocks, add all the info you can find by Googling, "examples of systemic racism" and you'll understand what's going on. If you can't accept the data, well you can lead a horse to water...

Wait, so you can't name roadblocks from systemic racism.....but you know it' there because of the outcomes?

Interesting.....

There're many experts out there that explain and document how systemic racism affects' minorities. Just Google, "examples of systemic racism" and you'll find many, many links that will answer your question much better than I ever could. This was the first link (and it references another) that came up when I Googled it...

"...Extensive academic research and data collected by the federal government and researchers has documented numerous ways that Black Americans experience life in the United States differently from their white counterparts.

It's called
"systemic" racism because it's ingrained in nearly every way people move through society in the policies and practices at institutions like banks, schools, companies, government agencies, and law enforcement.

The resulting data show that these disparities exist along nearly every facet of American life, including employment, wealth, education, home ownership, healthcare, and incarceration.

Here are
26 charts that show the stark differences between the Black and white experience, because of systemic racism..."

Your charts dont show that it is because of systemic racism. CRT simply attributes ANY racial disparity to racism. Its a BS assumption.
Oregon discovered that requiring public school students to demonstrate proficiency in math and reading disproportionally impacted blacks . So they are getting rid of the requirement to demonstrate proficiency in math and reading

Wait, so you can't name roadblocks from systemic racism.....but you know it' there because of the outcomes?

Interesting.....
What you and the self described Capitalist Pig are asking for is the equivalent of listing Trump's lies. I've listed them ad nauseum, I'm not interested to spend any more time on it again. I've given you the link that lists these easy to understand roadblocks, if you find one you disagree with I'll debate it. Unless you believe the huge gulf between whites and blacks in all facets of life are due to black "culture", because they're “unintelligent,” “lazy”, “violent", etc...

LAT wants critical race theory taught in schools. Writes an opinion piece. Confuses opinion with fact. Shocking.

In my opinion, many Americans might be more sympathetic toward CRT if there were NOT so much violent crime in this country.

What schools are teaching, or proposing to teach, whether you call it CRT or not, defines people based on race and there's no way anyone can convince me that teaching children to define people based on the color of their skin isn't going to foster more division.

We figured out a long time ago that the way to a harmonious society was for people to look beyond race and a person's group identity, and instead judge each person individually based on their character, their actions, talents and achievements. For nearly half a century that approach resulted in a steady and continuous improvement in race relations between all ethnic groups in America. Over the last decade that trend didn't just stop, it reversed course and we're seeing race relations get worse and worse every day. It's no coincidence that the steady decline in race relations in America perfectly coincides with the left's renewed focus on race and group identity, and making it their preferred political strategy.

It's quite simply a battle between group identity and individualism, and history has already proven which is the right path to be on.

What schools are teaching, or proposing to teach, whether you call it CRT or not, defines people based on race and there's no way anyone can convince me that teaching children to define people based on the color of their skin isn't going to foster more division.
"Division". Quite literally-

Posey said that the practice was put in place last year at Mary Lin Elementary School by principal Sharyn Briscoe, who is also Black.
Posey explained that Black students were put in two classes with two different teachers, while White students were put in six classes with six different teachers.

‘Yes. I have decided that I’m going to place all of the Black students in two classes,’"
"I just wish we had more Black kids, and then some of them are in a class because of the services that they need,"

Another phrase misinterpreted and hi-jacked by the right. I wish they had just originally called it Ethnic Studies.Lead the students in discussions of what systemic and institutionalized racism is and bring to the forefront what the marginalized races have contributed to the growth of this country :(

Another phrase misinterpreted and hi-jacked by the right. I wish they had just originally called it Ethnic Studies.Lead the students in discussions of what systemic and institutionalized racism is and bring to the forefront what the marginalized races have contributed to the growth of this country :(

They already are doing that. Avoiding the term Critical Race Theory like the plague and just calling it something else. "Ethnic studies", "Equity and Inclusion" "Diversity", "Anti-racism". Its still CRT.

Posey said that the practice was put in place last year at Mary Lin Elementary School by principal Sharyn Briscoe, who is also Black.
Posey explained that Black students were put in two classes with two different teachers, while White students were put in six classes with six different teachers.

‘Yes. I have decided that I’m going to place all of the Black students in two classes,’"
"I just wish we had more Black kids, and then some of them are in a class because of the services that they need,"
I cannot even imagine what the heck that principal was thinking .... and she makes it bad for schools and students who really do need to teach ethnic studies. Long overdue imo

If I did not take a course like that in college, I would have not known how marginalized groups actually contributed to this country based on Amercian History taught then

Racial segregation... Another practice we deemed wrong and totally counterproductive to a harmonious society, that the left has decided needs to be reinstituted for reasons I can't begin to understand.

I think the "right" is more concerned with for instance Oregon schools eliminating requirements that students demonstrate proficiency in math, reading and writing in standardized testing because blacks dont do as well on standardized testing so is therefore systemic racism by CRT definition. Or segregating students by race in different classrooms in Atlanta. Teaching students that ANY racial disparity is the result of systemic racism.

Racial segregation... Another practice we deemed wrong and totally counterproductive to a harmonious society,

A harmonious society is what the neo marxist are fighting against. The intent is to sow division. Hannah Jones the author of the 1619 project beamed with pride when the black lives matter "riots" were referred to as the "1619 riots". Rioting in the streets is the goal to disrupt the harmony.

It's no coincidence that the steady decline in race relations in America perfectly coincides with the left's renewed focus on race and group identity, and making it their preferred political strategy.

Hear! Hear!

I feel that things started to go south with the 2008 election.

In any case, it was inevitable that this nation would one day start to implode.

What was sowed in 1619 is now simply being reaped.

Yea - let's talk about CRT :rolleyes:
Texas Senate Bill Drops Teaching Requirement That Ku Klux Klan Is 'Morally Wrong'

In a new political low in Texas, the Republican-dominated state Senate has passed a bill to eliminate a requirement that public schools teach that the Ku Klux Klan and its white supremacist campaign of terror are “morally wrong.”

The cut is among some two dozen curriculum requirements dropped from the new measure, along with studying Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, the works of United Farm Workers leader Cesar Chavez, Susan B. Anthony’s writings about the women’s suffragist movement, and Native American history.

Read more: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/texas...b01f11895b2dc3

The following two articles provide an overview of what is termed "state adopted textbooks." The big markets for textbook publishers are Texas, California and Florida.

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/...revisionaries/
THE REVISIONARIES

Quote:
In Austin, Texas, 15 people influence what is taught to the next generation of American children. Once every decade, the highly politicized Texas State Board of Education rewrites the teaching and textbook standards for its nearly five million schoolchildren. And when it comes to textbooks, what happens in Texas affects the nation as a whole. Texas is one of the nation’s largest textbook markets because it is one of the few where the state decides what books schools can buy rather than leaving it up to local districts, which means publishers that get their books approved can count on millions of dollars in sales. Further, publishers craft their standard textbooks based on the requirements of the biggest buyers. As a result, the Texas board has the power to shape the textbooks that children around the country read for years to come.

Don McLeroy, a dentist, Sunday school teacher, and avowed young-earth creationist, leads the Religious Right charge. After briefly serving on his local school board, McLeroy was elected to the Texas State Board of Education and later appointed chairman. During his time on the board, McLeroy has overseen the adoption of new science and history curriculum standards, drawing national attention and placing Texas on the front line of the so-called “culture wars.”

https://www.today.com/tmrw/who-choos...tbooks-t190833
Who chooses the history textbooks?
What many students (and even some educators themselves) don’t know is that textbook choice is a highly politicized process in different states.

Quote:
Texas has frequently faced scrutiny for its state curriculum standards (called Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, or TEKS). In 2014, NPR reported on some of the curriculum controversies, one of which included listing Moses as one of the original Founding Fathers. But because Texas has one of the highest populations of public school students (approximately 5 million) it carries undue influence on national textbook publishers and the content that they include — or do not include — in their textbooks. The narratives that they feature, which are then taught to millions of middle and high school students, have at times come under fire for being racist and xenophobic.

In July 2020, students petitioned Texas’ Board of Education to revise its educational standards in order to adopt an anti-racist curriculum. An article from Houston Public Media about the petition drew attention to a particularly egregious incident where a McGraw-Hill textbook referred to enslaved people as “workers” and compared the Atlantic slave trade to other “patterns of immigration."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...textbooks.html
TWO STATES. EIGHT TEXTBOOKS. TWO AMERICAN STORIES.
We analyzed some of the most popular social studies textbooks used in California and Texas. Here’s how political divides shape what students learn about the nation’s history.

Quote:
The textbooks cover the same sweeping story, from the brutality of slavery to the struggle for civil rights. The self-evident truths of the founding documents to the waves of immigration that reshaped the nation.

The books have the same publisher. They credit the same authors. But they are customized for students in different states, and their contents sometimes diverge in ways that reflect the nation’s deepest partisan divides.

Hundreds of differences — some subtle, others extensive — emerged in a New York Times analysis of eight commonly used American history textbooks in California and Texas, two of the nation’s largest markets.

In a country that cannot come to a consensus on fundamental questions — how restricted capitalism should be, whether immigrants are a burden or a boon, to what extent the legacy of slavery continues to shape American life — textbook publishers are caught in the middle. On these questions and others, classroom materials are not only shaded by politics, but are also helping to shape a generation of future voters.

Texas Senate Votes to Remove Required Lessons on Civil Rights
  • ‘I have a dream’ speech would be dropped as class requirement
  • Senate Bill 3 stalled until breakaway Democrats return from D.C.
The Texas Senate on Friday passed legislation that would end requirements that public schools include writings on women’s suffrage and the civil rights movement in social studies classes.

Among the figures whose works would be dropped: Susan B. Anthony, Cesar Chavez, and Martin Luther King Jr., whose “I Have a Dream"speech and “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” would no longer make the curriculum cut.

The bill (S.B. 3), which was passed on a vote of 18 to 4, now is stalled because the House can’t achieve a quorum while a breakaway group of Democrats is out of the state. The special session is set to end on Aug. 6.

It would remove more than two dozen teaching requirements from a new law (H.B 3979) that bars the teaching of critical race theory, an academic framework exploring racism’s shaping of the country.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/social...n-civil-rights

Hear! Hear!

I feel that things started to go south with the 2008 election.

In any case, it was inevitable that this nation would one day start to implode.

What was sowed in 1619 is now simply being reaped.

The bottom line is, the left doesn't give a flip that their identity politics and race-card political strategy is destroying our society, as long as they can maintain a shred of political relevancy.

The bottom line is, the left doesn't give a flip that their identity politics and race-card political strategy is destroying our society, as long as they can maintain a shred of political relevancy.

There is a famous saying about how revolutionaries are eaten by those whom they had created.

I assume that sometime this century, woke Dems will be gobbled up by woker elements.

Something like how the first Russian Communists (Trotsky?) was gobbled up by Stalin?

CRT is fine demonstration of leftist bigotry. That is all the insane left have is their abject hatred for humanity, and a nation that was formed to preserve life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Everything the left utterly despises. Which is why CRT will never be taught in Alaska.
Are there schools in Alaska?

Lol, like identity politics and race hasn’t been the bread and butter of US politics since the founding. I guess it’s changed because blacks are no longer only demonized and used to scare whites it’s an issue?

Back
Top Bottom