• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Editoralizing Vs. Reporting

foolardi

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The much valued Journalistic practice of Reporting on the News is now
Dead.As a doornail. ? No,unless one can prove how doornails can vote.
Or read.Or about virtually any human practice.The term used by Poets and
great men of words like Shakespeare and Charles Dickens.
Where to clench a doornail is the practice used to make sure it has
been dead nailed { not easily resurrected to use again }.
Which is what today's MSM Journalist are up to.That being to make
Sure the Rise and Popularity of a President is clenched.
The Practice of Lying by Mainstream Media types { Journalist }
in Reporting current news such as Mother Jones' David Corn was found
using by writing how Bush 43 systemically " mugged the truth " is tame
versus today's current standard.That it is perfectly acceptable and even
warranted { mandated } to use that gnarly practice upon virtually every
word and deed coming from our current occupant of the White House.
President Trump cannot utter a sentence w/o being hounded and tagged
as if a Liar,disingenous or playing to his base { White Nationalist }.
This is how a Country Dies.By corrupting the field of Journalism.
Like Hitler never thunk up that notion.Or had {required } a Minister of Propaganda.
Today's Jourmalist are virtually a Pack of little ministers of Propaganda.

Foolardi:

While your OP is hard to follow, the idea that editorialisation is not only replacing but displacing factual, impartial reporting in many facets of the media is true, IMHO. Good, impartial, fact-based journalism still exists but it is being pushed aside or suppressed by institutional, economic preoccupations and by state power. Editorialism is however largely unfettered and is eclipsing traditional reportage.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Like Hitler never thunk up that notion.Or had {required } a Minister of Propaganda.
As if a liar, good one. Bush lied us into an unnecessary war with iraq. I'm sorry you don't care for the truth.

Even though pre-cable news programs (ABC, CBS, NBC) were often criticized for their liberal slant, I believe the success of Fox New convinced news organizations that they could be openly biased and still make money.

Fox News might have started out trying to be "Fair and Balanced," but they didn't remain that way for very long. They often said, "We just look biased because we air conservative viewpoints while the other networks don't," but as soon as MSNBC began to respond with an openly liberal slant, Fox News dropped all pretense of being unbiased (and even dropped the "Fair and Balanced" slogan).

Another factor that paved the way for biased news reporting was the glorification of investigative, often independent, reporters who appeared to fight for one side or the other. Just think abut how many young people were inspired to go into journalism by the work of Woodward and Bernstein or the "heroes" of movies such as "The China Syndrome"? And after they got into college, how many of their journalism professors taught them that their profession is all about pushing for this or that "cause," as opposed to reporting the facts?

For those reasons, I'm not surprised that almost all news reporting is biased. And I'm not expecting that to change any time soon.

As if a liar, good one. Bush lied us into an unnecessary war with iraq. I'm sorry you don't care for the truth.

Because Bush 43 dared to get a United Nations Security Council
approval of 15-0 in handling Saddam Hussein.?
A November 2002 Unnanimous Security Council Vote on
possible use of force against an extreme aggressor in the Middle East.
Bush 43 then also got authorization from Congress as to possible
use of force.Congress voted.Then our Secretary-of-State Colin Powell
addressed the United Nations and also briefed Congress on that
Dilemna.
Entirely opposite of what Obama and Hillary pulled when they used
force in Libya to overtake Muammar Gaddafi.In fact,Obama belligerently
refused to brief Congress and acted Unilaterally.
The same Obama who couldn't be bothered to respond to life and
death urgent messages sent by an American Ambassador in
Benghazi as he was literally fighting for his life.Obama,again,chose
to Retire early that fateful Night.

Even though pre-cable news programs (ABC, CBS, NBC) were often criticized for their liberal slant, I believe the success of Fox New convinced news organizations that they could be openly biased and still make money.

Fox News might have started out trying to be "Fair and Balanced," but they didn't remain that way for very long. They often said, "We just look biased because we air conservative viewpoints while the other networks don't," but as soon as MSNBC began to respond with an openly liberal slant, Fox News dropped all pretense of being unbiased (and even dropped the "Fair and Balanced" slogan).

Another factor that paved the way for biased news reporting was the glorification of investigative, often independent, reporters who appeared to fight for one side or the other. Just think abut how many young people were inspired to go into journalism by the work of Woodward and Bernstein or the "heroes" of movies such as "The China Syndrome"? And after they got into college, how many of their journalism professors taught them that their profession is all about pushing for this or that "cause," as opposed to reporting the facts?

For those reasons, I'm not surprised that almost all news reporting is biased. And I'm not expecting that to change any time soon.

Then yer hypothesis would be wrong.Utterly juvenile.There are actually Fact based
" fair and balanced " news journalist.Not many.But obviously enough to matter.
Like Breitbart and the Daily Caller { that has been targeted and hampered by
Silicon Valley types }.
Tucker Carlson,who Worked at CNN and MSNBC { hosted his own
hour long show which featured for the first time Rachel Maddow playing
the Devils advocate to start the show off against Tucker playing the level-headed
Host on a specific topic }.
Tucker Carlson is now The New star of Cable Outlets.Not because he needs to
be coy and twist facts all ta hell like Maddow . Rather because he is confident in his presentation.
He's done the necessary due diligence.Has no need to hoodwink his audience.
Just the Fact's Ma'am.

Then yer hypothesis would be wrong.Utterly juvenile.There are actually Fact based
" fair and balanced " news journalist.Not many.But obviously enough to matter.
Like Breitbart and the Daily Caller { that has been targeted and hampered by
Silicon Valley types }.
Tucker Carlson,who Worked at CNN and MSNBC { hosted his own
hour long show which featured for the first time Rachel Maddow playing
the Devils advocate to start the show off against Tucker playing the level-headed
Host on a specific topic }.
Tucker Carlson is now The New star of Cable Outlets.Not because he needs to
be coy and twist facts all ta hell like Maddow . Rather because he is confident in his presentation.
He's done the necessary due diligence.Has no need to hoodwink his audience.
Just the Fact's Ma'am.
If I want fair and balanced, I go to the newspaper. Ours gives the facts and leaves the opinions for the op ed page. Too many commentators on tv news give us three minutes of reporting by AP or Reuters, and then spending an hour analyzing and commenting on it. I can do my own analyzing, thanks.

Then yer hypothesis would be wrong. Utterly juvenile.

If you think I'm a young cow, then to heck with you!

Oh, wait a minute. You said I was "utterly juvenile." I thought you said "udderly juvenile."

Sorry, my bad.

:)

If I want fair and balanced, I go to the newspaper. Ours gives the facts and leaves the opinions for the op ed page. Too many commentators on tv news give us three minutes of reporting by AP or Reuters, and then spending an hour analyzing and commenting on it. I can do my own analyzing, thanks.

Totally debunked and complete rubbish.
If you Care to know the how and why then no finer read than :
- Unfreedom of the Press - {2020} by Mark Levin
A nationwide Best seller.On the N.Y.Times best seller list for
weeks.In fact,Atop the N.Y.Times best seller list and Ranked
# 1 book in the land Despite Chapter 6 Title - The New York
Times Betrays Millions -.
Levin popularizing his way of referring to the Newspaper of Record as
The New York Slimes

Last edited:
If you think I'm a young cow, then to heck with you!

Oh, wait a minute. You said I was "utterly juvenile." I thought you said "udderly juvenile."

Sorry, my bad.

:)
Says the Udderly intensifying Juvenile of record.

We can thank Ronald Reagan for the changes. He did away with the Fairness Doctrine and several other regulations of the FCC. Prior to that, broadcast media licensees were obligated to defend their license by demonstrating they were serving the public interests. Once Reagan de-fanged the FCC, outlets like FOX News had free rein to broadcast whatever nonsense they wanted. And here we are.

MSM still reports the news. It's the deplorable outlets that make shit up.

Trumpism, the centerpiece of it is lying.

1. I canceled my sub to the Los Angeles Times in 2019 because its anti-Republican bias was out of control. Haven't read that rag since.

2. My disabled neighbor subscribes to it, so I pick up her copy in her driveway and place it on the porch.

3. This morning I got a big chuckle at its desecration of true journalism.

a. Some Californians are trying to recall our Democratic governor. (As an impartial observer, I'm certain that the effort will fail.)

b. The Times in its leading front-page headline this morning said that the campaign to recall him has "ties to extremists."

c. And I hear some Dems are trying to paint the recall attempt as a "coup."

4. No wonder most Americans have nothing but contempt for the media.

a. For the next four years under Mr. You-know-whom or Ms. You-know-whom, the media will be slobbering over how great those "leaders" are.

Back
Top Bottom