• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Editing your comments

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I know we can already do that when the comment is relatively new but if you really regret posting something, you should be able to delete it a day later rather than be doomed to get banned.

I know we can already do that when the comment is relatively new but if you really regret posting something, you should be able to delete it a day later rather than be doomed to get banned.

Self control and education is the fix.

Editing for a typo, additional note, or clarification is one thing... "regret posting something" that might get you banned is entirely different.

Well, my feelings is: If you're so out of control that you're getting banned here, then you probably shouldn't be playing on the internet at all! :doh

Editing for a typo, additional note, or clarification is one thing... "regret posting something" that might get you banned is entirely different.

That is what I would like to do is go back and fix a word. I will think I typed "our" and some how it became "are". Spell checker is nice but it can really change the meaning of a sentence or make me look stupid. I am plenty capable of making myself look stupid without any help from the computer thank you. Most of the time though everyone figures out what I was trying to type.

That is what I would like to do is go back and fix a word. I will think I typed "our" and some how it became "are". Spell checker is nice but it can really change the meaning of a sentence or make me look stupid. I am plenty capable of making myself look stupid without any help from the computer thank you. Most of the time though everyone figures out what I was trying to type.

Within reason, you can. A few minutes after the post the edit function should still be there, but an hour or so later is asking too much of vBulletin.

Depending on the situation, it may help or not, but I think moderators can remove or edit posts of other members past the time allotted to authors of posts so if you reported your own post and in that report asked the moderator to remove it or edit it for you, they might be able to help you and avoid any penalties.

That's just a guess on my part, but a moderator will confirm or set it straight soon.

The problem with allowing editing long after the post has been up could occur when someone decides, well that isn't what I really meant and then reworks it to change the meaning

I understand that sometimes later when you're reading a post you catch typos or errors such as their/there/they're and then they look glaring but we all do it

Within reason, you can. A few minutes after the post the edit function should still be there, but an hour or so later is asking too much of vBulletin.

Asking to much of vBulletin?

I'm also on another board that uses vBulletin (they are on version 4.2.1 and this board shows 4.2.3) and we retain rights to edit posts at any time after posting and always have had that ability. I can go back and edit a post from a week ago with no problem and vBulletin supports self editing.

Now if I do go back and edit a post farther back in time than a couple of minutes it adds a "Last edited by _____________ date + time" stamp to the post to tell forum users that the post was edited. There is also an optional reason field where you can note what the edit was for "typo", "misspoke", hell "I was wrong."

>>>>

I know. Unfortunately I will reply to a quote or a thread and then run of to do something else or go somewhere. When I get back and look at what I wrote I just wish I could do something about the mistakes. I should wait till I have time to proof read but when I do that I forgot even wanted to respond. Every year it gets worse sadly. I don't know what I will do when I am truly old.

see which mods are on line and send them a PM asking them to delete said post; it would be good form to also offer an explanation why you are seeking such assistance
while i cannot speak for them, for the most part they are reasonable if you are, too

Good rule of thumb ... check your post for spelling/grammatical errors or rules-regrets *before* clicking the Submit Reply button.

Generally if I am sent a PM with in minutes of the post being made, yet after the edit time has expired I have no problem editing/deleting a post at a posters request. However if that post has been responded to or reported by another poster then it is considered too late and if the post violates a rule an infraction must be handed out.

If you feel that you MUST respond to something but don't quite have enough time because you have something else to do then come back later and respond. Don't rush your response as that inevitably will cause mistakes. That's the great thing about forums, no response needs be rushed. If you're worried that you'll forget that you wanted to respond then simply leave the page open to what you want to respond to or bookmark it and go over your bookmarks later to remind yourself.

Back
Top Bottom