• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder is no stranger to expressing his political beliefs, and in a new interview the band commissioned from professional surfer Mark Richards, Vedder has some choice words for opponents of gun control.

"The fact that we're living in a country where 90 percent of the people want further gun laws -- to maybe somehow put a dent in some of this insanity that's happening -- and yet there's no further legislation taking place, it's very frustrating and upsetting," Vedder told Richards in a clip from the discussion, which HuffPost Entertainment is debuting above. "If I didn't have music to kind of at least get some of the aggression out or take the edge off, you wouldn't want me having a gun either."

"I get so angry that I almost wish bad things upon these people," Vedder said. "But I don't have to because it seems like they happen anyways. It seems like every week I'm reading about a 4-year-old either shooting their sister, their dad, their dog, their brother or themselves, because there's f**king guns laying around. But I guess it's 'fun.'"

Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

Vedder tells it like it is.

Re: Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These Peopl

Vedder tells it like it is.

As in false, and full of crap? Yeah, spot on.

Not to mention spiteful.

Re: Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These Peopl

Eddie is an idiot. I guess when your band hasnt been thought of as a serious band in about 20 years, you need your name in the paper one way or the other.

As in false, and full of crap? Yeah, spot on.

Not to mention spiteful.

I'm just the messenger, boss. But he has a point, doesn't he?

Right, because a progressive Seattle rocker is the foremost expert on criminology, and his opinion matters. :roll:

But he has a point, doesn't he?

A point? Absolutely.

A good point? Not a chance.

Make no mistake about it, I like Pearl Jam's early work, as well as the Mother Love Bone lineup prior to that, Vedder has a very strong voice and as far as vocals go is very talented. His politics are ridiculous.

I appreciate the emotion of people who see the insanity of gun violence and wish for a way to stop it. However, they usually don't consider the essence of the second amendment and our individual rights to protect ourselves from harm and, in a very broad sense, from political oppression.

You can't think with your heart about everything. Killing is an ugly business, but sometimes it needs to be done.

Make no mistake about it, I like Pearl Jam's early work, as well as the Mother Love Bone lineup prior to that, Vedder has a very strong voice and as far as vocals go is very talented. His politics are ridiculous.

maybe i should go look up the views points of pee-wee Herman.

this thread is ridiculous, to think at people should listen to people in the entertainment business, as them being any sort of authority on issues.

I appreciate the emotion of people who see the insanity of gun violence and wish for a way to stop it. However, they usually don't consider the essence of the second amendment and our individual rights to protect ourselves from harm and, in a very broad sense, from political oppression.

You can't think with your heart about everything. Killing is an ugly business, but sometimes it needs to be done.
The bolded is the essence of the problem. Thinking with the heart only leads to illogical conclusions, and often knee jerk reactions that only exacerbate problems. Emotional responses are typically wrong, ESPECIALLY during times of crisis(as you alluded to with the last statement).

Yes Eddie, let's have people with guns keep people from having guns to keep people safe from guns.

maybe i should go look up the views points of pee-wee Herman.

this thread is ridiculous, to think at people should listen to people in the entertainment business, as them being any sort of authority on issues.
Exactly, they have an opinion that they are entitled to, but that opinion holds no more weight than anyone else's opinion. I only care when they try to force that opinion on others using their public image to influence law.

If safety is really an issue with these people, instead of infringing on 2nd amendment rights then they can start public service commercials urging gun owners to keep their firearms out of the reach of children, commercials urging children to not touch unattended firearms and maybe mandatory firearm safety classes for kids. In this country we tell kids to look both ways before crossing the street, to not talk to strangers, to not do drugs and even sex ed classes. I have even seen a commercial urging teens to not take nude cellphone pics of themselves. But yet we have at least 310 million firearms in the hands of regular civilians in this country.So there is a pretty huge chance that a child will encounter a firearm even if their parents do not own a firearm. So one would think that trying to instill firearm safety into adults and children would be a great idea. This can be done without trying to **** on the 2nd amendment.

I bet if a 2nd amendment proponent stated "I wish bad things upon 2nd amendment opponents, I don't have to because every day I read about someone getting rapped,robbed or murdered" the liberal media would be screaming bloody murder.

No, I'd call it a 2nd Amendment Solution. Why does that bother you that Eddie for that too?

Eddie who?

I actually remember when Pearl Jam was "relevant" in the music world. Hell...I have one of the 107 first original print live CDs from their 1992 concert. But dood has seriously gone out of his way to make himself and the band a footnote since their third CD. Glad he has an opinion. Then again...we DO know what they say about opinions. And assholes.

Yeah I watched Johnny Ramone take that narcissistic moron apart on this issue many years ago.

He's completely unqualified to be taken seriously on the subject. It would be like asking Wayne Lapierre what sort of bass line Pearl Jam should use in its next song

Yeah I watched Johnny Ramone take that narcissistic moron apart on this issue many years ago.

He's completely unqualified to be taken seriously on the subject. It would be like asking Wayne Lapierre what sort of bass line Pearl Jam should use in its next song
Well...come on...there ARE a lot of mindless individuals out there that think if only they passed background check laws we wouldnt have those shooting incidents. You know...like in Connecticut, Az, Colorado, etc. Background checks...SURELY that would have saved the day....

No, I'd call it a 2nd Amendment Solution. Why does that bother you that Eddie for that too?

in a perfect world, the two assholes who raped two girls and their mother then burned them to death in CT because the father didn't have a gun and the mother did not either would be around to visit people like Eddie Vedder because that is what that turd wants to happen to other people

to be completely defenseless when attacked by homicidal scumbags

Well...come on...there ARE a lot of mindless individuals out there that think if only they passed background check laws we wouldnt have those shooting incidents. You know...like in Connecticut, Az, Colorado, etc. Background checks...SURELY that would have saved the day....

Yeah and if we sang the barney happy song the islamist douchebags wouldn't have blown up the WTC either

The truth is the band members left from Mother Love Bone had no good reason to add him to the tribute band Temple of the Dog as they already had Chris Cornell for vocals that started the tribute band to begin with.

As for his voice, that is pretty much gone these days.

Yeah and if we sang the barney happy song the islamist douchebags wouldn't have blown up the WTC either
Might be worth a try. Though since background checks were already used and didnt have an impact, Im guessing the Barney Song would be no bueno as well....

;)

you start playing Barney and Ill start blowing **** up.... jsut sayin'

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom