• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

Re: Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These Peopl

He must have a LOT of free time then. :mrgreen:
He does, he shut the G down. So there must not be much to do. Golf, skeet, vacations, speaking tours. Dude has it made.

Re: Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These Peopl

Overplayed songs I am glad I will barely hear ever again. I never did like pearl cram, and it did not help that the local rock station decided to replace the led zepplin hour with them in the 90s. Yeah, eddie vedder is jimmy page. Go screw yourself 90s grunge movement. Oh, and if some guy with a gun accidentally offs pearl jam that would be an improvement to the world. One of the reasons i like guns is because it put an end to kurt. Smells like teen brain matter. I would shoot myself too if i was married to a bleach blonde junkie and had to whine on stage for a living.

Rotten to the core. :roll:

As far as his opinions go regarding OUR rights though, he is more like Nothing Man. :lol:

Hmm, I wonder if there hasn't been some sort of historical association between rock and successful political movements? Just a thought, eh?
There's also been an historical association between rock, political movements, and LSD, cocaine, pot and just about every other drug imaginable, which as we all know is the absolute foundation for cogent thought.

I should imagine Vedder's Anti Gun views are long held, and it should be noted that the song Jeremy, an early Pearl Jam song was partially based on a Texas student who took a gun in to school and blew his brains out in front of his classmates. :(

"Jeremy" is based on three different true stories. The song takes its main inspiration from a newspaper article about a 15-year-old boy named Jeremy Wade Delle from Richardson, Texas who shot himself in front of his English classmates on the morning of January 8, 1991. In a 2009 interview, Vedder said that he felt "the need to take that small article and make something of it—to give that action, to give it reaction, to give it more importance."

Delle was described by schoolmates as "real quiet" and known for "acting sad."After coming in to class late that morning, Delle was told to get an admittance slip from the school office. He left the classroom, and returned with a .357 Magnum revolver. Delle walked to the front of the classroom, announced "Miss, I got what I really went for", put the barrel of the firearm in his mouth, and pulled the trigger before his teacher or classmates could react. Lisa Moore, a schoolmate, knew Jeremy from the in-school suspension program: "He and I would pass notes back and forth and he would talk about life and stuff," she said. "He signed all of his notes, 'Write back.' But on Monday he wrote, 'Later days.' I didn't know what to make of it. But I never thought this would happen.

When asked about the song, Vedder explained:

It came from a small paragraph in a paper which means you kill yourself and you make a big old sacrifice and try to get your revenge. That all you're gonna end up with is a paragraph in a newspaper. Sixty-three degrees and cloudy in a suburban neighborhood. That's the beginning of the video and that's the same thing is that in the end, it does nothing … nothing changes. The world goes on and you're gone. The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself. Be stronger than those people. And then you can come back.

The other story that the song is based on involved a student that Vedder knew from his junior high school in San Diego, California. He elaborated further in a 1991 interview:

I actually knew somebody in junior high school, in San Diego, California, that did the same thing, just about, didn't take his life but ended up shooting up an oceanography room. I remember being in the halls and hearing it and I had actually had altercations with this kid in the past. I was kind of a rebellious fifth-grader and I think we got in fights and stuff. So it's a bit about this kid named Jeremy and it's also a bit about a kid named Brian that I knew and I don't know...the song, I think it says a lot. I think it goes somewhere...and a lot of people interpret it different ways and it's just been recently that I've been talking about the true meaning behind it and I hope no one's offended and believe me, I think of Jeremy when I sing it

CoverJeremy.jpg

Last edited:

I should imagine Vedder's Anti Gun views are long held, and it should be noted that the song Jeremy was based on a Texas student who took a gun in to school and blew his brains out in front of his classmates.

images
Yes, and "Glorified" was an anti-gun song as well, which is fine as they have a right to their opinions. Where that changes is when someone wants to put their opinion to law without doing the complete research, which is a major failing of many public figures. I don't have a problem with Vedder speaking his views, I do find it telling that he has to fight his own ill will against people who hold differing views. I don't wish harm on anyone for having a differing opinion than my own but WILL fight for my rights when they take it too far(hopefully only in debate obviously).

EDIT - Jeremy was more an anti-bullying song when you get down to it, the method of the boy's actions was irrelevant, it was the idea that he was pushed to it.

Yes, and "Glorified" was an anti-gun song as well, which is fine as they have a right to their opinions. Where that changes is when someone wants to put their opinion to law without doing the complete research, which is a major failing of many public figures. I don't have a problem with Vedder speaking his views, I do find it telling that he has to fight his own ill will against people who hold differing views. I don't wish harm on anyone for having a differing opinion than my own but WILL fight for my rights when they take it too far(hopefully only in debate obviously).

EDIT - Jeremy was more an anti-bullying song when you get down to it, the method of the boy's actions was irrelevant, it was the idea that he was pushed to it.

Vedder may well have done research, there are an awful lot of firearm deaths in the US including suicides and he obviously researched the case of Jeremy Wade Delle and indeed wrote a song about it. In terms of the song it's not just simply anti school bullying piece, it's as much about his lack of a decent relationship with his parents as the relationship with his classmates. Furthermore one of Vedder's friends in High School actually shot up a classroom, so obviously Vedder felt strongly about these issues which is why he wrote the song in the first place and which may well be he holds such staunch view in relation to firearms laws.

Last edited:

Vedder may well have done research, there are an awful lot of firearm deaths in the US including suicides and he obviously researched the case of Jeremy Wade Delle and indeed wrote a song about it.
The question is how he researched. Did he keep an open mind, or did he engage in confirmation bias?
In terms of the song it's not just simply anti school bullying piece, it's as much about his lack of a decent relationship with his parents as the relationship with his classmates.
Absolutely, it's a complex issue. Most of the message was you don't know what is troubling the person you are bullying and what they will do when they snap.
Furthermore one of Vedder's friends in High School actually shot up a classroom, so obviously Vedder felt strongly about these issues which is why he wrote the song in the first place and which may well be he holds such staunch view in relation to firearms laws.
Which is fine, I've lost friends to suicide, but it isn't something that changes the subject matter in the grand scheme of things.

What, a rock band that expresses political views widely held by the culture but not put into action by the powers that be? That's crazy.

A view that people should be harmed for disagreement?

I should imagine Vedder's Anti Gun views are long held, and it should be noted that the song Jeremy, an early Pearl Jam song was partially based on a Texas student who took a gun in to school and blew his brains out in front of his classmates. :(

So Vedder's been a moron a long time. As I noted Johnny Ramone pretty much carved him up years ago (Johnny's been dead for 9 years now so it was a whilee ago)

Vedder may well have done research, there are an awful lot of firearm deaths in the US including suicides and he obviously researched the case of Jeremy Wade Delle and indeed wrote a song about it. In terms of the song it's not just simply anti school bullying piece, it's as much about his lack of a decent relationship with his parents as the relationship with his classmates. Furthermore one of Vedder's friends in High School actually shot up a classroom, so obviously Vedder felt strongly about these issues which is why he wrote the song in the first place and which may well be he holds such staunch view in relation to firearms laws.

then he really is a moron because Japan has almost ZERO guns and a far higher rate of suicide than we do

So Vedder's been a moron a long time. As I noted Johnny Ramone pretty much carved him up years ago (Johnny's been dead for 9 years now so it was a whilee ago)

I wouldn't say he's a moron and he's not the only musician to have been inspired to write about such tragedies.

I Don't Like Monday's by the Boomtown Rats being another example -

According to Geldof, he wrote the song after reading a telex report at Georgia State University's campus radio station, WRAS, on the shooting spree of 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer, who fired at children in a school playground at Grover Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego, California on 29 January 1979, killing two adults and injuring eight children and one police officer. Spencer showed no remorse for her crime and her full explanation for her actions was "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day". The song was first performed less than a month later. Geldof explained how he wrote the song:

I was doing a radio interview in Atlanta with Fingers and there was a telex machine beside me. I read it as it came out. Not liking Mondays as a reason for doing somebody in is a bit strange. I was thinking about it on the way back to the hotel and I just said 'Silicon chip inside her head had switched to overload'. I wrote that down. And the journalists interviewing her said, 'Tell me why?' It was such a senseless act. It was the perfect senseless act and this was the perfect senseless reason for doing it. So perhaps I wrote the perfect senseless song to illustrate it. It wasn't an attempt to exploit tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom