• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These People'

Re: Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These Peopl

LOL. I love that era of their music too.

saw the Ramones a few times great concerts. No pretense, no sophisticated light show. No wild costumes or hot babes in day glo leotards. Just good in your face rapid fire three chord attack hard punk rock. I never left a ramones show thinking I hadn't got my money's worth. despite all the punk bit, deep down Johnny and Joey were professionals and they cared about their work like real pros

Re: Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These Peopl

It seems you come to these gun threads to bait pro gun posters. rather than take a solid position and then have the stones to defend it, you sneer, snicker, insinuate and insult people mainly, I suspect, because they aren't far lefties. I think that is what really bothers you and why you engage in such behavior

You're nearly right. I can't help conrfonting posters I consider to be splashing lobrow crap on my screen just because it's easier than actually composing a thoughtful response. You want an armed confrontation with people who disagree with you? Is that what you really meant to say?
Schoolyard bullcrap.

i guess i am an old Coot, because i still listen to 60's and 70's music.

nothing wrong with that. my 15 year old looks down on the current stuff (he is fairly decent as a musician) and notes that Ian Anderson, Jimmy Page, Jerry Garcia, and Jimmy Hendrix are all far better musicians than most of the stuff topping the charts these days. 50 years from now, LZ and Hendrix and The Grateful dead will still have millions of fans. Lady Gaga not so much

I agree the best music is from the 60s and 70s IMO. Although I do listen to newer music at times and I like Pearl Jam, they are far from being the best.

You're nearly right. I can't help conrfonting posters I consider to be splashing lobrow crap on my screen just because it's easier than actually composing a thoughtful response. You want an armed confrontation with people who disagree with you? Is that what you really meant to say?
Schoolyard bullcrap.

you don't read what other people post very well and your only "contributions" on gun threads is to bait pro gun posters while ignoring the complete horse crap of posters like HOJ who post the opinions of twits like some has been singer who wishes ill on gun owners

yeah, I want the braying assholes who want to ban guns to quit hiding behind the state storm troopers and come and do the job themselves. They want guns gone, they ought to start trying to seize them

I want to be left alone. The bullcrap is the oozing excrement we get from posters who come here to insult and troll and bait gun owners because gun owners tend to be hostile to the statist BS that gun haters spew.

No you don't. Notice anything, I mean. My thing has always said, 'other'.

I will take you at your word. Its your signature that clearly indicates you are a left-winger

I agree the best music is from the 60s and 70s IMO. Although I do listen to newer music at times and I like Pearl Jam, they are far from being the best.
Each decade prior to the mid-90s had something going on that wasn't better than another decade but was a strong point. 60s rock was as raw and authentic as it gets, 70s rock had a bit of polish but a ton of attitude, 80s rock found a good balance between the two, but added some serious guitar technique and great audio mixing. You also can't leave out how cleanly things were played in the 50s. Once it got to the point that musicians didn't have to actually know how to play or write a song, and everything could be fixed in post things changed, a band didn't have to be good, they would just have to be hyped properly, formulated, and focus grouped.

i guess i am an old Coot, because i still listen to 60's and 70's music.

Each decade prior to the mid-90s had something going on that wasn't better than another decade but was a strong point. 60s rock was as raw and authentic as it gets, 70s rock had a bit of polish but a ton of attitude, 80s rock found a good balance between the two, but added some serious guitar technique and great audio mixing. You also can't leave out how cleanly things were played in the 50s. Once it got to the point that musicians didn't have to actually know how to play or write a song, and everything could be fixed in post things changed, a band didn't have to be good, they would just have to be hyped properly, formulated, and focus grouped.

Oh God, we have way too many of those! :lol:

Oops, sorry Ernst, didn't mean to have your post included.

Re: Eddie Vedder On Gun Control Opponents: 'I Almost Wish Bad Things Upon These P...

Be interested to see what you think. Personally, I don't think their new album is as good as any of their 90s albums. It might grow on me after a few more listens.

I've been into the band since i was really young. They've been such a big part of my life. When i think back, i can relate certain tunes to pretty much anything significant that has happened in my life. Pearl jam have been there with me when i've laughed, cried, been apprehensive, ecstatic, scared, frustrated, they've run the gamut of every one of my emotions. I feel like i have grown up with them, almost like a best friend.

I've never tired of them and i've always been able to feel that connection to their lyrics. Not sure what it is about this new album though, maybe it's just me but i'm just not feeling it.

I thought they never quite lived up to the potential they had. Its sort of like another group that was getting big in the late 80s-the one that lots of critics picked to be the next big thing after the Clash in England (Forget Manchester, this is the future of British Rock was what one of the big music publications said about Jesus Jones)

I saw PJ as the same way. A boy I knew who was a music major at yale (long after I had left) and was part of the Seattle "grunge" scene and knew the PJ guys really well said the same thing

Oh God, we have way too many of those! :lol:

Oops, sorry Ernst, didn't mean to have your post included.
Does that for me too. When I multiquote I have to usually reload the forum, I think it's a small glitch. To the point you responded to, absolutely, too many bands that have complete loops rather than songs, it's gotten so bad that now a band will be told by the producer, "play four bars, okay, that's your verse", "now play a different four, that's your chorus", "Next song".

Does that for me too. When I multiquote I have to usually reload the forum, I think it's a small glitch. To the point you responded to, absolutely, too many bands that have complete loops rather than songs, it's gotten so bad that now a band will be told by the producer, "play four bars, okay, that's your verse", "now play a different four, that's your chorus", "Next song".

I posted a video once about how a lot of today's music is synthesized and that a lot of these "singers" can't really sing at all. You really just have to have a "look" and a stage presence and lucky to be a star today.

I posted a video once about how a lot of today's music is synthesized and that a lot of these "singers" can't really sing at all. You really just have to have a "look" and a stage presence and lucky to be a star today.
Half of the modern acts don't even have a good stage presence, the 80s guys are still young enough to school them, and the earlier acts still put on a hell of a show with what's left in the tank.

In country music, attractive lady singers are often hired by "syndicates" that have a team of writers, promoters, musicians etc. its far more about a commercial drive to make money vs say guys like Garcia who loved playing and happened to make a fair amount of money doing it

Half of the modern acts don't even have a good stage presence, the 80s guys are still young enough to school them, and the earlier acts still put on a hell of a show with what's left in the tank.

I saw Ian Anderson (SIR Ian) of Jethro Tull fame a few months ago and he was old enough to be my son's grandfather and he put on a great show. I didn't attend Sir Paul McCartney's gig in cincinnati but friends of mine did and said the same thing. I saw Page and Plant play in 95 and they were still so much better than the stuff that passes for top ten acts today

In country music, attractive lady singers are often hired by "syndicates" that have a team of writers, promoters, musicians etc. its far more about a commercial drive to make money vs say guys like Garcia who loved playing and happened to make a fair amount of money doing it

Not country music, but I always think of someone like Mick Jagger trying out for American Idol! :lol:

During my radio days I said even though Taylor Swift is on top right now with the teenagers she needs to be careful. Yes the girl is talented and writes her own music, but it's all pretty much the same thing, if she doesn't differentiate she won't grab more audience and there is only so much time where younger girls will identify with her young and heartbroken message, it's cute when a lady is under thirty, not so much when they get older.

I saw Ian Anderson (SIR Ian) of Jethro Tull fame a few months ago and he was old enough to be my son's grandfather and he put on a great show. I didn't attend Sir Paul McCartney's gig in cincinnati but friends of mine did and said the same thing. I saw Page and Plant play in 95 and they were still so much better than the stuff that passes for top ten acts today
I heard the same thing about the LZ reunion, that even though the band is older they blew the doors off the arena.

I heard the same thing about the LZ reunion, that even though the band is older they blew the doors off the arena.

If you watched that concert in memory of the Atlantic Records founder (his Turkish name escapes me) and then watched TOP acts like Kid Rock and Lenny Kravitz and the Wilson sisters do LZ stuff when they were honored at the Lincoln Center you realize just how much better those guy STILL are than much younger guys. YOu can find Jimmy and John Paul Jones playing with the FOO FIGHTERS (another major league act) and I give the FFs credit. Page and JPJ on stage with you shows those guys had some serious confidence in themselves-because most people are gonna look bad being showcased with someone like Jimmy Page

During my radio days I said even though Taylor Swift is on top right now with the teenagers she needs to be careful. Yes the girl is talented and writes her own music, but it's all pretty much the same thing, if she doesn't differentiate she won't grab more audience and there is only so much time where younger girls will identify with her young and heartbroken message, it's cute when a lady is under thirty, not so much when they get older.

Meh, then she'll just pull a Miley and start twerking.

I will take you at your word. Its your signature that clearly indicates you are a left-winger

I am, clearly. I'm so far left I'm probably illegal in some states.

I am, clearly. I'm so far left I'm probably illegal in some states.

That's actually funny

If you watched that concert in memory of the Atlantic Records founder (his Turkish name escapes me)
Ahmet Ertigun.
and then watched TOP acts like Kid Rock and Lenny Kravitz and the Wilson sisters do LZ stuff when they were honored at the Lincoln Center you realize just how much better those guy STILL are than much younger guys. YOu can find Jimmy and John Paul Jones playing with the FOO FIGHTERS (another major league act) and I give the FFs credit. Page and JPJ on stage with you shows those guys had some serious confidence in themselves-because most people are gonna look bad being showcased with someone like Jimmy Page
The Wilson sisters were the only act that really nailed it, those two are uber talented. Even when not in LZ roles, Paige, Plant, and Jones just smash it.

Meh, then she'll just pull a Miley and start twerking.
With what? That girl has less to work with backstage than Miley!

you don't read what other people post very well and your only "contributions" on gun threads is to bait pro gun posters while ignoring the complete horse crap of posters like HOJ who post the opinions of twits like some has been singer who wishes ill on gun owners

That's bullsh*t. I've often stated my position, and you have actually agreed with me in the past. Your memory is failing you.

yeah, I want the braying assholes who want to ban guns to quit hiding behind the state storm troopers and come and do the job themselves. They want guns gone, they ought to start trying to seize them

I want to be left alone. The bullcrap is the oozing excrement we get from posters who come here to insult and troll and bait gun owners because gun owners tend to be hostile to the statist BS that gun haters spew.

You seriously need to step back from the whole issue and get a grip. Wipe off your chin. You sound like some hillbilly troglodyte.

That's bullsh*t. I've often stated my position, and you have actually agreed with me in the past. Your memory is failing you.

You seriously need to step back from the whole issue and get a grip. Wipe off your chin. You sound like some hillbilly troglodyte.

Nah not at all, I sound like a guy who is tired of the frantic foaming of the anti gun fruitcakes who keep threatening gun owners. I don't need someone like you to give me advice. I find your position on the gun issue to be weak to the point of being silly

Back
Top Bottom