• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ed Asner: Hollywood Silent on Syria Because They ‘Don’t Want to Feel Anti-Black[W:43]

Brooks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Been wondering where the anti-war crowd is this time around?

"Another reason some Hollywood progressives have been reticent to speak out against war in Syria, according to Asner, is fear of being called racist.
A lot of people don’t want to feel anti-black by being opposed to Obama,” he said."

Asner: Celebs Quiet on Syria 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black' | Mediaite

The hell? According to recent polls, about 90% of America is part of the "anti-war" crowd in regards to Syria. Have you been living in a cave where you haven't seen the massive opposition to our involvement?

And calling Obama a piece of **** president is not racist, it's simply a matter of fact. If he were white, brown, purple or green, he'd still be just awful.

Liberals will never change. Asner shows once again that liberals always look at things not as right or wrong, smart or dumb but through race, sex or gender. The thought police own everyone of them.

The hell? According to recent polls, about 90% of America is part of the "anti-war" crowd in regards to Syria. Have you been living in a cave where you haven't seen the massive opposition to our involvement?

And calling Obama a piece of **** president is not racist, it's simply a matter of fact. If he were white, brown, purple or green, he'd still be just awful.

because the left which is mostly Hollywood use the false narrative if you disagree with Obama it is because he is black. now they have become victims of there own false narrative.
so now either they agree with Obama so not to be racist and become a warmonger or the disagree with him to not be a warmonger but become racist

That's the polling of the American people, which can't be denied.
But where are the Cindy Sheehans. Where are Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Michael Moore, et al?
They're either mummed by party loyalty or they are just as vocal and the balanced media isn't reporting it.

because the left which is mostly Hollywood use the false narrative if you disagree with Obama it is because he is black. now they have become victims of there own false narrative.
so now either they agree with Obama so not to be racist and become a warmonger or the disagree with him to not be a warmonger but become racist

It seems like you are the only one pushing the notion that opposing Obama is racism. But by all means, provide some direct quotes from people who have said "If you don't love Obama, you're racist".

But where are the Cindy Sheehans. Where are Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Michael Moore, et al?
They're either mummed by party loyalty or they are just as vocal and the balanced media isn't reporting it.

Or they just don't see it as that big of an issue. Do you want to see them whine about every single political action? Is that really what you want?

I realize Cons are feverish to find something to equal the unprovoked war with Iraq under BushII but so far this has not risen to the equal of Clinton's missile strikes which the Cons called wussy not warmongering. :roll:

I do feel there is a difference on calling out someone for using Kenyan when referring to the President or the dozens of racists signs that somehow are never 'noticed' by those at the rallies until the media points them out...

And saying we don't like the policy.

Cons also have a bad memory when it suits- wasn't there a great deal of muck being flung over Matt Damon being critical of the President? That was huffed and puffed in here for a minute- don't tell me you eagle eyed cons missed that thread?

I don't recall Sheehan or the others protesting Iraq up to and included a no fly zone. It was INVADING that was the line crossed for them. Cons just don't get it.

But most really don't want to... :peace

Been wondering where the anti-war crowd is this time around?

"Another reason some Hollywood progressives have been reticent to speak out against war in Syria, according to Asner, is fear of being called racist.
A lot of people don’t want to feel anti-black by being opposed to Obama,” he said."

Asner: Celebs Quiet on Syria 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black' | Mediaite

glad to see Ed Asner out in front on this. He has always been a man of principle regardless of politics and this only underlines that fact.

And yet, he is a 1000% improvement over the last guy.:)

I realize Cons are feverish to find something to equal the unprovoked war with Iraq under BushII but so far this has not risen to the equal of Clinton's missile strikes which the Cons called wussy not warmongering. :roll:
The last few days of the WH banging the war drum sure sounds like 2002 to me, just with Democrats on the drums this time.

I don't recall Sheehan or the others protesting Iraq up to and included a no fly zone. It was INVADING that was the line crossed for them. Cons just don't get it.
So Progs are cool with lobbing bombs and missiles to kill people, just not soldiers with rifles. Good to know. :roll:

Let's just call the war protests what they actually were - an anti-Republican activity. The hollywood types aren't stumping down Penn. Ave. with signs because they all supported Obama, and Obama has a (D) next to his name. Sorry to call a spade a spade here but if you remember, not a peep of anti-war hollywood types during Libya either. They're hypocrits who should stick with acting and staying in their self stylized hollywood bubble of insanity and not venture out into the real world.

I wonder if this isn't part of a political move on the part of Obama for something else. :coffeepap

Some guy told me conservatives show such hate for Obama because they don't want their racist buddies to think they weren't also racist.

Clearly this represents all conservatives. He told me it does.

Or they just don't see it as that big of an issue. Do you want to see them whine about every single political action? Is that really what you want?
No, some consistency would be nice, however. The Hollywood left was very vocal in calling Iraq an "illegal war of aggression." You could actually debate whether or not that description was factually correct. In the case of Syria, what Obama is proposing is exactly an "illegal war of aggression" yet those same leftists are remarkably silent.

No, some consistency would be nice, however. The Hollywood left was very vocal in calling Iraq an "illegal war of aggression." You could actually debate whether or not that description was factually correct. In the case of Syria, what Obama is proposing is exactly an "illegal war of aggression" yet those same leftists are remarkably silent.

Well, the war hasn't started yet, so maybe it won't start at all. How about you wait and see what happens before you condemn someone for something they haven't even done yet?

The vast majority of Americans don't want this war, and if our congress decides to do it anyway, I promise you will see a massive backlash from the citizenry.

The comments from Asner and others say this is simply not so.

Well, the war hasn't started yet, so maybe it won't start at all. How about you wait and see what happens before you condemn someone for something they haven't even done yet?

It is true that it hasn't started, but they were out there protesting in droves long before the war in Iraq started. The whole point was to stop it from happening.

It is true that it hasn't started, but they were out there protesting in droves long before the war in Iraq started. The whole point was to stop it from happening.

Have we not seen quite an uproar from the citizenry lately opposing an attack on Syria? I sure have.

Why are all the right-wingers talking about the Iraq invasion and probable Syrian missile strikes as if they are equivalent?

I didn't condemn anyone. I called for consistency. The phrase "illegal war of aggression" isn't my term, it is a term coined by the left. All of the sudden they don't use it. Waiting for the war to actually start is the wrong time to oppose it. If you are going to make a case against an action, the best time to make that case is before you engage in that action. Obamas plan to attack Syria is him proposing an illegal war of aggression. Those who oppose war on such grounds should speak up now. Not later.

The vast majority of Americans don't want this war, and if our congress decides to do it anyway, I promise you will see a massive backlash from the citizenry.
I hope you are right.

Have we not seen quite an uproar from the citizenry lately opposing an attack on Syria? I sure have.

We haven't seen ANYTHING like during the lead-up to Iraq. Not even close. Not by a country mile. And topical to the thread, we haven't seen the Sheryl Crows, the Sean Penns, the Alec Baldwins, the Martin Sheens, etc., etc.

We haven't seen ANYTHING like during the lead-up to Iraq. Not even close. Not by a country mile. And topical to the thread, we haven't seen the Sheryl Crows, the Sean Penns, the Alec Baldwins, the Martin Sheens, etc., etc.

Or C-17's loading up with our children about to be put into a ****hole to get blown apart by IEDs.

We haven't seen ANYTHING like during the lead-up to Iraq. Not even close. Not by a country mile.

Perhaps not, since Obama is not going to the UN gathering support. That takes much more time.

Back
Top Bottom