• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ed Asner Explains Hollywood's Syria Silence: They 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black'

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Tim Graham
September 6, 2013

Radical-left actor Ed Asner was blunt with Paul Bond of The Hollywood Reporter about how celebrities won’t be mobilizing against military actions launched by Barack Obama: "A lot of people don't want to feel anti-black by being opposed to Obama," he said.

"It will be a done deal before Hollywood is mobilized," Asner said. "This country will either bomb the hell out of Syria or not before Hollywood gets off its ass." Asner, 83, even doubts the value of protesting at this late stage in his life:

"We had a million people in the streets, for Christ's sake, protesting Iraq, which was about as illegal as you could find. Did it matter? Is George Bush being tried in the high courts of justice?" asked Asner. "We've been so God-damned stung in this country by false wars, repeatedly, that, how can you believe in any just war with the history we have had?"

He feels sad he voted for Obama: "I voted for him, but I'm not proud. He hasn't thrown himself on the funeral pyre. I wanted him to sacrifice himself.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Ed Asner Explains Hollywood's Syria Silence: They 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black' | NewsBusters

That is called a traditional Progressive cop out.

"A lot of people don't want to feel anti-black by being opposed to Obama," he said.

I guess that's worse than being a hypocritical moron.

Can you imagine if it was a republican attempting to incite violence in Syria?

The Bush remarks and smears from Hollywood and the main stream media would be too dang high.

What would Martin Luther King think?

He made a famous speech, about how men should be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. What would he think, today, to see the first black President, who had demonstrated very poor content of character, and very poor soundness pf policy; and it is only because of the color of his skin that those who would most like to consider themselves aligned with Mr. King are averse to criticism the President?

Envy is such an ugly emotion. If Wehr works real hard and gets an education, maybe Ed will hire him as a gaffer for one of his shows. Meantime, we does Wehr want to punish successful people?

By Tim Graham
September 6, 2013

Radical-left actor Ed Asner was blunt with Paul Bond of The Hollywood Reporter about how celebrities won’t be mobilizing against military actions launched by Barack Obama: "A lot of people don't want to feel anti-black by being opposed to Obama," he said.

"It will be a done deal before Hollywood is mobilized," Asner said. "This country will either bomb the hell out of Syria or not before Hollywood gets off its ass." Asner, 83, even doubts the value of protesting at this late stage in his life:

"We had a million people in the streets, for Christ's sake, protesting Iraq, which was about as illegal as you could find. Did it matter? Is George Bush being tried in the high courts of justice?" asked Asner. "We've been so God-damned stung in this country by false wars, repeatedly, that, how can you believe in any just war with the history we have had?"

He feels sad he voted for Obama: "I voted for him, but I'm not proud. He hasn't thrown himself on the funeral pyre. I wanted him to sacrifice himself.

[Excerpt]

Read more:
Ed Asner Explains Hollywood's Syria Silence: They 'Don't Want to Feel Anti-Black' | NewsBusters

That is called a traditional Progressive cop out.

I've met Ed Asner and know his speech writer (15 years ago) personally. He is most certainly radical left. I will never forget his comment to us at lunch some years ago (in LA): "People get and stay rich off the backs of the poor in this country." He said it with sincerity and fervor. I don't know that I believe that; but I believe he's rich and felt guilty, that's for sure.

As an aside, he took me and two of my friends to lunch. He was great -- someone came over for his autograph, and he was gracious and cute. When we left, he and "us" had valeted our cars. We had a rental. He had some beat-up hoopty with dents and a bad paint job. I said, "WTF????" He said something to the effect that, "Hey, that car will outrun about everything on the road. It's all new inside. If you're famous and want to be ignored, you don't drive limo's."

As to his comments in the OP, perhaps he's come to Jesus. ;)

I've met Ed Asner and know his speech writer (15 years ago) personally. He is most certainly radical left. I will never forget his comment to us at lunch some years ago (in LA): "People get and stay rich off the backs of the poor in this country." He said it with sincerity and fervor. I don't know that I believe that; but I believe he's rich and felt guilty, that's for sure.

As an aside, he took me and two of my friends to lunch. He was great -- someone came over for his autograph, and he was gracious and cute. When we left, he and "us" had valeted our cars. We had a rental. He had some beat-up hoopty with dents and a bad paint job. I said, "WTF????" He said something to the effect that, "Hey, that car will outrun about everything on the road. It's all new inside. If you're famous and want to be ignored, you don't drive limo's."

The only thing I remember Ed Asner saying is "You've got spunk ... I hate spunk" and somebody wrote that for him.

Obviously Mr. Asner feels rich and comfortable living off the backs of the poor in this country.

Can you imagine if it was a republican attempting to incite violence in Syria?

The Bush remarks and smears from Hollywood and the main stream media would be too dang high.

I heard that all the actors and actresses supporting Obama have been kidnapped by aliens and taken to Zeta Reticuli.

[B said:
Wehrwolfen[/B];1062288836]
I heard that all the actors and actresses supporting Obama have been kidnapped by aliens and taken to Zeta Reticuli.

If you have any reliable sources that support this malarkey you should post some links.

Otherwise I will just write this post off as more Wehrwolfen bull****.

How can you expect to ever change any minds when you post incoherent drivel like this?

Give it at least a little thought, fella.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Obviously Mr. Asner feels rich and comfortable living off the backs of the poor in this country.

Why do you have a problem with Ed Asner enjoying the fruits of his labor?

Did the man ever do anything to you?

If so, fill us in, tell us the whole sad story.

If you don't post a good, believable story I am just going to assume that your post here is just sour grapes on your part.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Why do you say that? Because he's rich and comfortable? How would one remedy that in your mind? Become poor and uncomfortable?

You have absolutely no reason to judge the man. At least he speaks out for what he believes somewhere besides an internet forum.

So there.

Why do you say that? Because he's rich and comfortable? How would one remedy that in your mind? Become poor and uncomfortable?

You have absolutely no reason to judge the man. At least he speaks out for what he believes somewhere besides an internet forum.

So there.

I just reacted to his statement and the 'Holier Than Thou' attitude. The do as I say and not what I do is wrong. As an actor I like Mr. Asner. However, how can he castigate others for the same thing he himself does and has done? Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Back
Top Bottom