• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ecuador's president to U.S.: Don't threaten us on Snowden case

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
(CNN) -- Defiant authorities in Ecuador say they won't bow to U.S. pressure as they weigh former NSA contractor Edward Snowden's request for asylum.
Ecuador's president and other top officials said Thursday that they're turning down the trade benefits the United States gives them as part of the Andean Trade Promotion and Drug Eradication Act.
"In the face of threats, insolence and arrogance of certain U.S. sectors, which have pressured to remove the preferential tariffs because of the Snowden case, Ecuador tells the world we unilaterally and irrevocably renounce the preferential tariffs," President Rafael Correa said Thursday, reiterating comments other officials from his government made earlier in the day.

Continued...

Kudos to Ecuador for standing up to a bully!

Re: Ecuador Stands Up To US

As that what this is about to you? Showing the US they have balls.... :roll: That is so useful.

As that what this is about to you? Showing the US they have balls.... :roll: That is so useful.

No sovereign nation should be threatened by another for considering asylum for someone who has not directly hurt anybody (and has awakened this nation to injustices).

Apologies to the moderators for not keeping the same title of the article for the thread.

Muy excellente!

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Obama sends Seal Team 6 to snatch and grab Snowden anyway. Neither the US nor Obama have ever really given a **** about other nations' sovereignty.

No! Showing the World that they will stand with the truth. We need a half dozen of those Ecuadoreans running our own inept gov't. Yanqui Corporate hegemony has not engendered love for the USA in the hearts and minds of the rest of the Americas. They only go along because we bully them. Ecuador has given us the middle finger and rightfully so. Snowden has done us all a great service and the USA wants to throw him in jail. Put Snowden in jail after the PERJURORS Clapper and McCullough are charged. They lied to you , me and Grandma under oath.

No! Showing the World that they will stand with the truth. We need a half dozen of those Ecuadoreans running our own inept gov't. Yanqui Corporate hegemony has not engendered love for the USA in the hearts and minds of the rest of the Americas. They only go along because we bully them. Ecuador has given us the middle finger and rightfully so. Snowden has done us all a great service and the USA wants to throw him in jail. Put Snowden in jail after the PERJURORS Clapper and McCullough are charged. They lied to you , me and Grandma under oath.

That's a little over the top. All Ecuador has done is to say they may consider giving the guy asylum and don't want any help from the U.S. in making that decision. Personally, I like what Snowden did but I also understand that what he did was a crime. If the U.S. were honest about what they classify and what they don't classify and if they were willing to try him only on the crime of stealing information, then I would support his return to the U.S. If the U.S. instead wants to try him for treason, then I hope he finds asylum. The problem is, we don't know any of these things.

Ecuador is actually less inimical to the U.S. that the press seems to want you to think. There are a ton of expatriot American retirees in Ecuador because it is affordable, stable and has some great weather. I think it ranks third after Costa Rica and Panama for expatriot retirees. Ecuador doesn't want to lose that.

No sovereign nation should be threatened by another for considering asylum for someone who has not directly hurt anybody (and has awakened this nation to injustices).

Yes, setting back intelligence gathering doesn't directly hurt anybody.

Snowden hasn't done anything for me, he deserves to go to jail because he betrayed his country. Oleg Gordievsky deserves to be prison because he betrayed the USSR. If you can betray your country proudly then you can accept the penalties instead of running.

How about "standing on principle"? Is that a possible reason?

Principle being that bullies should not be enabled, and should be challenged.

That's a little over the top. All Ecuador has done is to say they may consider giving the guy asylum and don't want any help from the U.S. in making that decision. Personally, I like what Snowden did but I also understand that what he did was a crime. If the U.S. were honest about what they classify and what they don't classify and if they were willing to try him only on the crime of stealing information, then I would support his return to the U.S. If the U.S. instead wants to try him for treason, then I hope he finds asylum. The problem is, we don't know any of these things.

Ecuador is actually less inimical to the U.S. that the press seems to want you to think. There are a ton of expatriot American retirees in Ecuador because it is affordable, stable and has some great weather. I think it ranks third after Costa Rica and Panama for expatriot retirees. Ecuador doesn't want to lose that.

If you really consider what Snowden did to be a crime, that suggests that you do not know the difference between right and wrong.

The question becomes, how is it a crime, how is it wrong, to expose the crimes of government?

Snowden hasn't done anything for me, he deserves to go to jail because he betrayed his country. Oleg Gordievsky deserves to be prison because he betrayed the USSR. If you can betray your country proudly then you can accept the penalties instead of running.

Just an opposing opinion here.

I feel our country betrayed us when it clearly started a random search for information among its citizens. It is direct conflict with the 4th.

Edward Snowden made it public. He openly discussed what our government was doing. People have said it before, but they didn't have credibility. Snowden's position gave him credibility as well as his message. Our politicians betrayed the people.

Muy excellente!

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Obama sends Seal Team 6 to snatch and grab Snowden anyway. Neither the US nor Obama have ever really given a **** about other nations' sovereignty.

The wrong environment for an insertion team. They would never make it out alive.

(CNN) -- Defiant authorities in Ecuador say they won't bow to U.S. pressure as they weigh former NSA contractor Edward Snowden's request for asylum.
Ecuador's president and other top officials said Thursday that they're turning down the trade benefits the United States gives them as part of the Andean Trade Promotion and Drug Eradication Act.
"In the face of threats, insolence and arrogance of certain U.S. sectors, which have pressured to remove the preferential tariffs because of the Snowden case, Ecuador tells the world we unilaterally and irrevocably renounce the preferential tariffs," President Rafael Correa said Thursday, reiterating comments other officials from his government made earlier in the day.

Continued...

Personally, I wouldn't have pulled the access to preferential tariff treatment based on US threats - every one in the world knows that a White House threat with this President in office is as idle as a "Yes We Can" t-shirt salesperson these days.

(CNN) -- Defiant authorities in Ecuador say they won't bow to U.S. pressure as
they weigh former NSA contractor Edward Snowden's request for asylum.

Continued...

Now Ecuador is Pimp slapping us ?

How far we've fallen.

The wrong environment for an insertion team. They would never make it out alive.

Pakistan is pretty bad, afghanistan is worse. I think they'd be fine. (I'm not saying I want them to, I'm rooting for Snowden.)

Pakistan is pretty bad, afghanistan is worse. I think they'd be fine. (I'm not saying I want them to, I'm rooting for Snowden.)

It would depend on the space that the team would be inserted into.

Continued...

Yeah, that'll teach us!

Are they still closing newspapers and throwing reports in jail in Ecuador? Snowden should fit right in.

Are you at all familiar with what is happening in Ecuador? Or is freedom of the press only important to you on the Far Left if it's the U.S. we're talking about? I can see why this little pipsqueak tyrant is a hero to you, however. He's about as admirable as Snowden. They deserve each other.

Freedom of the press in Ecuador: A chill descends | The Economist

Just an opposing opinion here.

I feel our country betrayed us when it clearly started a random search for information among its citizens. It is direct conflict with the 4th.

Edward Snowden made it public. He openly discussed what our government was doing. People have said it before, but they didn't have credibility. Snowden's position gave him credibility as well as his message. Our politicians betrayed the people.

He's a traitor who ran off to Russia instead of standing on principle. God knows what damage he's done to the United States during his stay in Moscow. I remain stunned at the number of people who consider this piece of garbage a hero.

If you really consider what Snowden did to be a crime, that suggests that you do not know the difference between right and wrong.

The question becomes, how is it a crime, how is it wrong, to expose the crimes of government?

I didn't say it was right or wrong. I said it was a crime. It was illegal. People who get security clearances sign a contract not to reveal the classified information. The law specifies punishment for those who do. Very straightforward. Not a question of right and wrong. A matter of law.

Yes, setting back intelligence gathering doesn't directly hurt anybody.

I have no problem gathering information on known terrorists. At the same time, I oppose programs that target the general public.

What should be done about James Clapper?

Yeah, that'll teach us!

Are they still closing newspapers and throwing reports in jail in Ecuador? Snowden should fit right in.

Do you think those who opposed the Iraq War actually supported Saddam's policies? Of course not. They supported national sovereignty just as I am supporting it here.

He's a traitor who ran off to Russia instead of standing on principle. God knows what damage he's done to the United States during his stay in Moscow. I remain stunned at the number of people who consider this piece of garbage a hero.

All heroes have their detractors. You really see any scenario where the US govt gets a win out of this?

Back
Top Bottom