• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Economy vs AW Ban

Naptyme

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Listening to Obama talking about creating jobs and helping the economy makes me wonder if they even think about the 1000s of jobs and small businesses they would effectively be closing the doors on with potential bans. I doubt it would have much impact as far as the country as a whole but there are several small towns that would likely be devastated due to plant closings. What kind of impact do you guys see the potential bans having?

Listening to Obama talking about creating jobs and helping the economy makes me wonder if they even think about the 1000s of jobs and small businesses they would effectively be closing the doors on with potential bans. I doubt it would have much impact as far as the country as a whole but there are several small towns that would likely be devastated due to plant closings. What kind of impact do you guys see the potential bans having?

LOL. You just don't get it. Bans are simply going to make "the next best thing" be more in demand. Like banning "gas guzzlers" made GM go broke - right? The ones that will get screwed by "reasonable restrictions" of adding millions of more "background checks" will be the little guy that only sells bullets or any non-FFL gun (re)seller; they have no way to access the NICS so they can no longer legally stay in business and compete with FFL dealers like Walmart and the big gunshops (Academy Sports, Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's). The poor slob that sells shotgun shells in his gas/bait/tackle/snack shop is the one getting regulated out of existance, or the operator of a small time firing range. It is no big deal to wait 5-20 minutes for an NICS check on a $300 gun sale, but for each $10 box of bullets it is insane. Try to buy a gun on the internet, you must pay a local FFL dealer a "kick back" of $30 to $50 simply to "approve" the deal by making an NICS check and being your "transfer" agent.

That may be true for the larger companies but there are several companies that specialize in military styled weapons. Also, while the major companies won't exactly go broke but to think they won't lay off workers and/or close plants until they find different models to produce is naive.

The potential is there for quite a few jobs lost. But asking folks to care about the jobs of an AR-15 manufacturer probably won't yield any positive results.

The potential is there for quite a few jobs lost. But asking folks to care about the jobs of an AR-15 manufacturer probably won't yield any positive results.
That is one of the worst parts about this, innocent workers losing thier jobs simply because the gun they produce looks scarier then some other rifle.

That is one of the worst parts about this, innocent workers losing thier jobs simply because the gun they produce looks scarier then some other rifle.

It's not just those folks who would be looking at job loss. There is a very large market for furniture and various accessories. If the firearm itself is banned, the market will eventually dry up as everyone that legally owns the firearms already will have acquired all that they want over time.

You could argue that those folks could just switch to other gun accessories, but that would flood the market so badly that most of them would still end up shutting down.

A national ban I don't see happening. Illinois, CA, NY which probably represent almost 1/2 of the nation are in jeopardy and your point is ignored by the left anti gun haters. They always claim its about jobs during an election and even small business. Most of the EBR businesses are small with the exception of Colt and very few others. The small businesses that offer accessories, hundreds of gun shops that depend on them for inventories, and the middle men in between them are toast. I'd challenge the left to prove it won't cost 50,000 to 100,000 people their livelihoods while they go on thinking they are saving the world while hammers kill even more people.

No, those are not 'green' jobs they can fund with our tax dollars, so they don't count in their twisted minds.

A national ban I don't see happening. Illinois, CA, NY which probably represent almost 1/2 of the nation are in jeopardy and your point is ignored by the left anti gun haters. They always claim its about jobs during an election and even small business. Most of the EBR businesses are small with the exception of Colt and very few others. The small businesses that offer accessories, hundreds of gun shops that depend on them for inventories, and the middle men in between them are toast. I'd challenge the left to prove it won't cost 50,000 to 100,000 people their livelihoods while they go on thinking they are saving the world while hammers kill even more people.

Please stop calling them EBR's. Buzz words are trashy and feed the fear of Armalite Rifles, Automat Kalashnikovs, Galil Rifles, and the like.

To each is own we enjoy calling them evil black rifles since assault rifle doesn't fit. I've been doing that far too long on the gun forums - not about to stop.

Please stop calling them EBR's. Buzz words are trashy and feed the fear of Armalite Rifles, Automat Kalashnikovs, Galil Rifles, and the like.

I still laugh when they call a .223 a high powered rifle. Imagine how bad they would freak out if they knew what a 30-06 and above could do to the human body.

Back
Top Bottom