• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ebony & ivory and Nobel Peace prize

kentuple

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I am the furthest thing from a racist yet I am quite disgusted at these many many voices that still call for VA governor Northam's resignation. Give it a week or two and the folks responsible for that yearbook photo will eventually come forward and speak up and you'll find that as claimed, Northam was neither participant and completely NOT complicit in the creation, posting and knowledge of the yearbook photo. His presentation over the weekend was crushingly simple and I am convinced: he only learned of the photo when the rest of us did, never saw his yearbook page, left VA immediately upon graduating to serve in the Army. He made a little error in his first reaction to the crisis, thinking it might have been him in the photo. This was understandable considering the weight of sudden allegations foist upon him. He overreacted and thought, "Oh no, what did I do". But upon deeper reflection and consultation with family and classmates, thence realized that no, he knew nothing whatsoever about that photo. The man is obviously sincere, very personable, a doctor, not a Klansman and you might as well just hand him the Nobel Peace prize today for his brave showing in this horrid crisis.

Furthermore, the photo likely isn't even racist sentiment. That's an actual African-American there! This is a joke and it is in that Ebony & Ivory spirit, good-natured. The black man depicted is clearly not Northam and based on stature he also likely cannot be the Klansman depicted.

Yeah, the Army whisked Northam away pronto after he graduated and the whole yearbook thing was never pursued or seen. Northam convinced me and he is dead right to stay the course, as he stated, unless he finds himself unable to govern.

I'll also say that the college years and yearbook contents are oft plagued by sophomoric humor and taunts, especially if you are exceptionally gifted. Many top academics have had to look the other way and swallow their pride when so assailed. Northam answered a question to reporters about his nickname, saying his proper nickname was known to be "Goose" but he was aware that a certain clique of individuals were referencing him as "Coonman". That may have been malicious and so a good reflection on Northam, perhaps indicating that his sympathy for non-white people went against a good-ole-boy sentiment.

I've recently learned that my posting this thread violates the rules of this particular sub-forum. I'm very sorry. Had a Moderator been dutiful he could have moved it to an appropriate sub-forum back when. Or now.

“I’m not racist, but” never ends well.

Back
Top Bottom